Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't know. He's just so lazy.

And I'm not sure if you guys have noticed, but he's suuuuuuper Russian.

I hesitate to label any player a bust, but the kid never even put up 70 points last year in his second pro season; if that's not a busted third rounder, then I don't know what one is.

And he looks like he's gym buddies with the cast of The Rugrats.

I'm not even sure why we have this thread. Does this mean that Tyler Nanne is going to get one too?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'm willing to give this kid a clean slate this year. Hope he busts his butt consistently.

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Some of the comments in this thread are just childish.

How about we just call it like it is and replace "lazy" with "just not strong enough"?

There's no denying he's got some skills but he's just not strong enough in the tough area's and that's ultimately going to wear him down especially when competing against the top lines of the league.

Should he even be playing on the top line in the first place?

Definitely not and neither should Zib or Kreider but this is JG's world of dumb...

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

How about we just call it like it is and replace "lazy" with "just not strong enough"?

There's no denying he's got some skills but he's just not strong enough in the tough area's and that's ultimately going to wear him down especially when competing against the top lines of the league.

Definitely not and neither should Zib or Kreider but this is JG's world of dumb...
giphy.gif

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Buchnevich was a lazy dog last year on defense. If you don't think so you know nothing about hockey and aren't objective. That being said, he has the ability to be a 50-60 point forward. It's really about whether this coaching staff can get through his thick head. Personally, I would have dealt him this off season. However, he is not a bad risk with a new coach. If he doesn't play well this year, he has to be moved. I don't think he fits this team. Hope I'm wrong.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Awwww cmon man....

giphy.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Buchnevich was a lazy dog last year on defense. If you don't think so you know nothing about hockey and aren't objective. That being said, he has the ability to be a 50-60 point forward. It's really about whether this coaching staff can get through his thick head. Personally, I would have dealt him this off season. However, he is not a bad risk with a new coach. If he doesn't play well this year, he has to be moved. I don't think he fits this team. Hope I'm wrong.

I've got some good news for you!

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

I don't agree with the majority of this, but at the same time, it does highlight just how polarized we've become in evaluating Buchnevich.

I consider myself to be harder on him than most posters here, but I find myself defending him against people calling him "lazy", or "weak", or whatever other pejorative is easy to spell.

He's already a top six forward; the debate should be about what he needs to do to continue improving.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't agree with the majority of this, but at the same time, it does highlight just how polarized we've become in evaluating Buchnevich.

I consider myself to be harder on him than most posters here, but I find myself defending him against people calling him "lazy", or "weak", or whatever other pejorative is easy to spell.

He's already a top six forward; the debate should be about what he needs to do to continue improving.

People are just expecting too much from a 2nd year player. Honestly, he's done better than anyone should have expected if people knew what they were talking about. I'm not the biggest Buchnevich fan, but as I stated in the previous thread, he had the 3rd highest point total by any 2nd year Ranger since 2000.

Let's have a look at the points of other Rangers in their 2nd season, shall we?

Vesey? 28
Hayes? 36
Lindberg? 28
Kreider? 37
Miller? 6
Hagelin? 24
Stepan? 51
Zuccarello? 3
Anisimov? 28
Dubinsky? 40
Callahan? 13

Only Stepan had more points in 2012. That's it. And Jan Hlavac in 2001

6jiL8Ya.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickmo82

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I feel it`s the wrong topic guys - use the roster building thread, and it should be all about Pavel in this topic. But I agree with some here the ideal line for Pavel is top 2nd line at the moment with his current skill level, and not on our first line.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Lets not pretend that because a few posters come in here with terrible takes about being lazy that Buchnevich is somehow infallible. You can defend him but also acknowledge that he has flaws. He 100% deserves criticism for his lackluster play towards the end of last season. Maybe it was because of AVs ridiculous usage and wheel of discipline, maybe not. Maybe Pavel is just easily discouraged and folds when he faces some sort of adversity. The truth is, we don't know yet.

He isn't the first young player to be yo-yo'd around the lineup, and he won't be the last. Zucc/Miller/Kreider were all treated in a similar way in their first few seasons, and they all fought through it and came out as good players. You can whine about Vesey being infallible to management until the cows come home, and while you would be right about the double standard, thats just the way it is. I don't like it either, but thats life. If Buch is good enough, he will break through that.

Reactions: mrmovies779 and Ori

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lets not pretend that because a few posters come in here with terrible takes about being lazy that Buchnevich is somehow infallible. You can defend him but also acknowledge that he has flaws. He 100% deserves criticism for his lackluster play towards the end of last season. Maybe it was because of AVs ridiculous usage and wheel of discipline, maybe not. Maybe Pavel is just easily discouraged and folds when he faces some sort of adversity. The truth is, we don't know yet.

He isn't the first young player to be yo-yo'd around the lineup, and he won't be the last. Zucc/Miller/Kreider were all treated in a similar way in their first few seasons, and they all fought through it and came out as good players. You can whine about Vesey being infallible to management until the cows come home, and while you would be right about the double standard, thats just the way it is. If Buch is good enough, he will break through that.

I don't think anyone is denying that Buchenvich can be better. But when I see people claim that he sucks because he's expected to put up a point per game as a 22-year old, I have to step in and try to explain why that's BS.

Reactions: haveandare and Ori

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I don't think anyone is denying that Buchenvich can be better. But when I see people claim that he sucks because he's expected to put up a point per game as a 22-year old, I have to step in and try to explain why that's BS.

I wonder if being our only real notable prospect for ~2 years has inflated his expectations.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, a good point many here wish that our prospects were better than they really are sometimes especially on the HF Boards, but that is not just for us and New York Rangers, but I see a similar pattern on other teams as well. :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder if being our only real notable prospect for ~2 years has inflated his expectations.

That definitely has something to do with it. But when you look at what he has done and where he came from, he has done more than okay.

A 3rd round pick, who spent 3 years in Russia and then came over, to then in his 2nd season almost hit 50 points over 82 games is quite impressive. And he's only 23 years old now (22 when the season ended).

Reactions: Do you want ants

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Skies the limit, he needs more confidence and sturdiness. Hopefully he got a bit stronger (again) in the off season and now is willing again to go to the dirty areas. He’s got the iq, speed and hands to get to the front of the net with some time and space, he just has to be willing and able to withstand the hits, muck and grind once the defenders close in.

Unless he starts elite efforting like Vesey, then production on the offensive end is unnecessary obviously.

Reactions: NYR

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Curious as to what Buchnevich's next contract is going to look like?

He will be 24 when his current contract expires. Lets say he pops 50 pts this season, mostly on the top line with Kredier and ZBad. Where would that put him from a monetary standpoint?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Curious as to what Buchnevich's next contract is going to look like?

He will be 24 when his current contract expires. Lets say he pops 50 pts this season, mostly on the top line with Kredier and ZBad. Where would that put him from a monetary standpoint?
Give him the Zibanejad deal. Add a year to make it 6x5.35

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->