Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm going in with an open mind and no expectations. I think it will be better than Nemesis. How good or ok, that remains to be scene.

Hopefully the stay away from time travel and too much Discovery tie in.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
:laugh: because Kurtzman's last attempt at crafting a big, sprawling film franchise universe out of a beloved ip went soooo well...

Let's go ask Transformers fans what they thought of how respectful Alex Kurtzman was when heas the visionary and mastermind of their property. :D

Wait. Are you referring to Transformers in the first sentence? I totally thought that you were referring to The Mummy, which was supposed to launch Universal's "Dark Universe" (with the Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, the Invisible Man and other monsters all existing in the same universe and crossing over into each other's films). All that it took was one movie written, produced and directed by Alex Kurtzman for Universal to cancel those plans :laugh:.

Reactions: Blender

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I'm just not happy with those in charge of Star Trek I miss the 90's. TNG finishing its run having DS9 and Voyager also part of the 90's too. 21st century Star Trek just hasn't been that good and what i'm hearing about STP doesn't make me that happy.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Wait. Are you referring to Transformers in the first sentence? I totally thought that you were referring to The Mummy, which was supposed to launch Universal's "Dark Universe" (with the Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, the Invisible Man and other monsters all existing in the same universe and crossing over into each other's films). All that it took was one movie written, produced and directed by Alex Kurtzman for Universal to cancel those plans :laugh:.

I guess it can be both. Though Michael Bay gets all the credit/criticism for the Transformers movies, Kurtzman and Orci were heavily involved in the first two including the writing and setting up all the awful crap that carried through every one of those films.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I guess it can be both. Though Michael Bay gets all the credit/criticism for the Transformers movies, Kurtzman and Orci were heavily involved in the first two including the writing and setting up all the awful crap that carried through every one of those films.

Kurtzman was also, of course, heavily involved in the first two Star Trek reboot movies. It's sad that, between those, Transformers, The Mummy and Discovery, he keeps being given responsibilities with major franchises. It seems clear that Hollywood doesn't care about the quality of its products, just with whether they make money... not that there's anything wrong with the latter, but you can have that and high quality products that you can actually be proud of if you're just more selective with whom you hand out responsibilities to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kurtzman was also heavily involved in the first two Star Trek reboot movies. It's sad that, between those, Transformers, The Mummy and Discovery, he keeps being given responsibilities with major franchises. It seems clear that Hollywood doesn't care about the quality of its products, just with whether they make a lot of money. There's nothing wrong with the latter, but that should be a goal in addition to making a high quality product, IMO, and being more selective with the handing out of responsibilities could achieve that.
Kurtzman is a prime example of someone who keeps failing upwards.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kurtzman was also, of course, heavily involved in the first two Star Trek reboot movies. It's sad that, between those, Transformers, The Mummy and Discovery, he keeps being given responsibilities with major franchises. It seems clear that Hollywood doesn't care about the quality of its products, just with whether they make money... not that there's anything wrong with the latter, but you can have that and high quality products that you can actually be proud of if you're just more selective with whom you hand out responsibilities to.
Do a lot of the things run by Kurtzman do well financially? I'm not so sure.

Oh look, now Kurtzman just got another gig. Now he gets to ruin something else: ‘Silence Of The Lambs’ Sequel Series ‘Clarice’ Set At CBS – Deadline

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The idea of the Federation becoming isolationist is pretty stupid.

The phrase "To seek out new life and new civilizations" is literally part of the franchises's credo. Part of its ethos.

It's not just pretty stupid. It's not Star Trek. Trying to make Star Trek into something else is what Abrams, Kurtzman and crew have been doing since they started. Is it a coincidence that the first of the new films to not be written by Kurtzman or directed by Abrams (Star Trek Beyond) is considered by most fans to feel the most like Star Trek?

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
The idea of the Federation becoming isolationist is pretty stupid.

The phrase "To seek out new life and new civilizations" is literally part of the franchises's credo. Part of its ethos.

I just find there's nothing original to the idea. I think its natural that the Federation would have some form of identity crisis after the events of the Dominion War and the Borg invasions. They alluded to this a bit in Insurrection which is where the idea should have been put to bed not in this series 25 years or whatever later. We saw a similar plotline in Enterprise with the Mars episodes of wanting to expel all the aliens from earth. That made more sense as it was pre-Federation. We've also seen the "what is the role of Starfleet" storylines done in episodes like Homefront on DS9.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I always love this. Because you know this less about "we're super confident this show is everything you fans will want it to be" and more "if we tell you there'll for sure be a second season maybe viewers will be less nervous about investing their time in season 1 against the fear that it'll get cancelled and make said investment worthless when it turns out that the story isn't 100% self-contained". Though it also comes with a dash of "if we tell you it already has a second season, maybe you'll conclude it must be good going into it." and "we threw a ton of money at this thing and the only way to justify it to our stakeholders is to amortize some of those costs over another year of production."

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I always love this. Because you know this less about "we're super confident this show is everything you fans will want it to be" and more "if we tell you there'll for sure be a second season maybe viewers will be less nervous about investing their time in season 1 against the fear that it'll get cancelled and make said investment worthless when it turns out that the story isn't 100% self-contained". Though it also comes with a dash of "if we tell you it already has a second season, maybe you'll conclude it must be good going into it." and "we threw a ton of money at this thing and the only way to justify it to our stakeholders is to amortize some of those costs over another year of production."

A) We're super confident this show is everything you fans will want it to be.
B) If we tell you there'll be a second season maybe viewers will be less nervous about investing their in season 1.
C) If we tell you it already has a second season, maybe you'll conclude it must be good going in.
D) We threw a ton of money at this thing and the only way to justify it to our stakeholders is to amortize some of the costs over another year of production.
E) All of the above.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Gonna be watching it tonight. The wife is esthetic, me not so much.

I am hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised though

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I've never really watched Star Trek, but figured I would give the first episode a shot because... why not??

And.. well.. I have no idea how what the hardcore Trek people will think, but I actually really enjoyed that episode.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Star Trek Picard U.S.S.Enterprise N.C.C.-1701-D.png

Picard has dream about being aboard the Enterprise-D playing poker with Data then we see a image of explosions on Mars then Picard wakes up.

Dahj is attacked and she runs away.

Picard does a interview and we see why he left Starfleet because it wasn't Starfleet to him after they called off the rescue of Romulans. Also hear there is a ban on synthetics.

Dahj shows up at Picards home feeling she is safe with him. She has a necklace that Picard takes notice of.

Data's painting in Picards home.png

Picard has a dream about Data painting and wakes up and see such a painting in his home then hears Dahj is gone after running away again.

Data painting called Daughter.png

Picard goes to Starfleet Archives and takes a look at another painting that Data painted in 2369 and the name of the painting is daughter.

Dahj contacts her mother telling her someone tried to kill her. Her mother says you need to get somewhere safe and says you need to go back to Picard even without Dahj not telling her she saw Picard. She then searches for Picard.

After finding where Picard is Dahj goes to him and she is attacked and we find out its by Romulans. A explosion kills her or does it?

Picard goes to Daystrom Institute in Okinawa and asks Dr. Agnes Jurati if it's possible to make a sentient Android out of flesh and blood. We hear there is a galactic treaty banning the creation of any kind of synths. We also hear about a theory of fractal neuronic cloning that Maddox had that Data's entire code, even his memories could be reconstituted from a single positronic neuron. Maddox was crushed when his work was shutdown and then disappeared after the ban.

We find out Dahj has a twin sister who is stationed on a Romulan Reclamation Site (Borg Cube)

Interesting episode there is some stuff I don't like at all.

Last edited:

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
So far so good. Not perfect but already far superior to STD. It possesses a level of maturity Discovery hasn't. I didn't like the opening credits music, didn't feel at all like Star Trek but since this is my biggest complaint so far, I'll take it. Maybe finally a Trek show worth watching again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad