Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I actually really liked it, good pace and nice to have Patrick Stewart back. The only thing that pissed me off is the trailer after showing a good deal of what is going to happen this season, get rid of it. Other than that good intro episode.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just finished it. I'm lukewarm about it. It's better than Discovery, mostly because Picard is a far superior character to Burnham (not to mention Stewart a far superior actor) and it's less flashy spectacle, but it still has Alex Kurtzman's fingerprints on it and even a couple of J.J. Abrams'. Naturally, a number of TNG cameos (most to come) isn't enough character fan service. There has to also be a new character who has a connection to one. It also seems like the season is going to be about someone with special fighting abilities, which feels lazy, overused and not like Star Trek to me.

I was a bit intrigued at points in the episode, but also intermittently bored. It's slow for the first half hour, which is perfectly fine for a first episode, but then goes too fast in the final 10 minutes. For example, in the space of 3 minutes near the end, Picard becomes convinced of something major that he couldn't have imagined just before, and does so without exhibiting any doubt or questioning how it could possibly be. Slow down there. That's some bad writing, IMO.

The one thing that I liked the most is that Picard feels like Picard. He's not really the cranky, disillusioned old man (ala Luke Skywalker) that I feared. I still don't like that Starfleet has lost its way, but at least Picard hasn't and is standing up for the old principles. The show seems to be getting the title character right (probably thanks to Stewart making sure of it) and that's the most important thing.

Anyways, it's a decent start to the series... not that good, not that bad.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s better than Discovery, and I like Discovery.

Good plot, good acting. Dialogue is a little stilted at times, but it’s pretty damn good for episode 1.

Did I mention the acting? It was pretty phenomenal, and it gives the series a huge advantage over Discovery.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It was ok, better than I expected. Nothing was particular bad about it, which is a huge step up on Discovery which is often terrible.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It was ok, but not great. Stewart was awesome however.

The Romulan Empire being wiped out by a supernova makes me all sorts of angry. Why is it that the writers have opted to treat us like utter idiots?

The Federation essentially ignoring the Romulans diaspora pisses me off almost more than the super nova. 10-15 years prior the Romulan, IIRC, pulled the Federation and the Klingons butts from the fire, I doubt the Federation would turn a blind eye to their calamity.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Might have been mentioned before here but Maddox was the Cybernetisist from the TNG episode measure of a man who wanted to dissect Data so he could make more and resulted in Data being recognized as a sentient being with rights.

Also we still don't know what happened to Lore, the last time we saw him he was being dissembled with Data so logic says if you can create synthetics from Data you can create them from Lore.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

The Romulan Empire being wiped out by a supernova makes me all sorts of angry. Why is it that the writers have opted to treat us like utter idiots?

The Federation essentially ignoring the Romulans diaspora pisses me off almost more than the super nova. 10-15 years prior the Romulan, IIRC, pulled the Federation and the Klingons butts from the fire, I doubt the Federation would turn a blind eye to their calamity.
This is the fault of the JJ Abrams movies and all of their stupidity. He had Romulus explode from a supernova in the prime universe so they had to stick with it I guess, even though it's laughably stupid.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Romulan Star Empire consisted of many worlds from many star systems no supernova would come anywhere close to eliminating it. The entire supernova thing is stupid beyond belief.

Romulans where very important part in helping the Federation and Klingons defeat the Dominion so yes no way would the Federation act in the way that we heard in this show. Even if the Romulans remained neutral during the Dominion war I still wouldn't see the Federation refusing to help like this.

I wish we had good people writing Star Trek. 21st century Star Trek just doesn't come close to being a good as 20th century Star Trek.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Romulan Star Empire consisted of many worlds from many star systems no supernova would come anywhere close to eliminating it. The entire supernova thing is stupid beyond belief.

Romulans where very important part in helping the Federation and Klingons defeat the Dominion so yes no way would the Federation act in the way that we heard in this show. Even if the Romulans remained neutral during the Dominion war I still wouldn't see the Federation refusing to help like this.

I wish we had good people writing Star Trek. 21st century Star Trek just doesn't come close to being a good as 20th century Star Trek.

All those people are either working on other Star Trek shows *cough* Orville *cough*, retired, dead, rolling in bags of money and fame after creating arguably one of the best Sci-fi shows ever (Moore), or reliving past glory (Behr).

The new crowd they picked out seem to have zero clue as to what made ST the phenomena that it is.

Reactions: Blender

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My gf is a TNG nerd, I am curious about this, as someone that isn't a Trekkie, can I watch this show and be ok not knowing the previous show?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My gf is a TNG nerd, I am curious about this, as someone that isn't a Trekkie, can I watch this show and be ok not knowing the previous show?

You can still watch it the same way you can watch The Force Awakens even if you're not a Star Wars fan.

You can still enjoy it, but you will enjoy it more if you're a Trekkie.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You can still watch it the same way you can watch The Force Awakens even if you're not a Star Wars fan.
Yeah gross, please never ever mention the new trilogy ever again.
You can still enjoy it, but you will enjoy it more if you're a Trekkie.
I thought Netflix had TNG, didn't they? I recall trying to watch it and got scolded by my gf "Don't watch Season 1, it's crap...can you just find something else to watch?" - Like she wants to keep that her thing.

I'm gonna try watching them, how many seasons did this thing go for? Like 4-5?

Edit: God damn it, 7 seasons? ok, I guess by the time I binge this like the animals that we are now, a few episodes of Picard will be waiting for me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

I thought Netflix had TNG, didn't they? I recall trying to watch it and got scolded by my gf "Don't watch Season 1, it's crap...can you just find something else to watch?" - Like she wants to keep that her thing.

Edit: God damn it, 7 seasons? ok, I guess by the time I binge this like the animals that we are now, a few episodes of Picard will be waiting for me.

She's probably embarrassed about Season 1, lol, that's why she scolds you. And she probably thinks it's too much of a hassle to get you into it overall.

The good news is that you can usually tell which episodes are complete filler and which ones are important/good based on the first 10 minutes.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

You're just not going to get a lot of the subtle references, like Picard calling his dog #1 or which episode the painting is from and why. I think that is what will make this show watchable for TNG fans. I don't have an issue with them using the Prime storyline, it doesn't have to be a continuation of where TNG was headed. We had so many shows around TNG that were essentially the same thing. Things change over time and it's not a bad take to show a Federation in disarray needing to find itself again. This isn't really a Star Trek show as is about Picard's later years. I just wish the trailers would spoil less.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I thought they did, they are also on CBS All Access

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

I watched it without any knowledge of Trek and really enjoyed it. As is the case with any well established franchise.. you will miss the references they make, but, IMO, you can really enjoy it.

In fact, I would argue that the less knowledge you have about Trek, the more you may actually be able to enjoy it, as long as you're open to everything.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I watched it without any knowledge of Trek and really enjoyed it. As is the case with any well established franchise.. you will miss the references they make, but, IMO, you can really enjoy it.

In fact, I would argue that the less knowledge you have about Trek, the more you may actually be able to enjoy it, as long as you're open to everything.

Probably true, Discovery would have been easier to stomach had I never watched Star Trek. Still, that shot at the end of this episode that pulls out and shows they are in a Borg Cube gave me those chills. That's something you just don't get unless you're familiar with TNG, Voyager. This show also pulls stuff in from the various movies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I wasn’t under the impression that the whole Empire was wiped out by the supernova, but that they were crippled by the loss of their central world and entire imperial government.

I felt clearly the Empire was still a thing because we see a “Romulan Reclamation Site” in this episode. A massive operation which would require a high degree of organization and funding.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I wasn’t under the impression that the whole Empire was wiped out by the supernova, but that they were crippled by the loss of their central world and entire imperial government.

I felt clearly the Empire was still a thing because we see a “Romulan Reclamation Site” in this episode. A massive operation which would require a high degree of organization and funding.

Yeah but wasn't it a damaged Borg ship.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
After the horror that is Discovery, I was expecting the worst with Picard.

I was pleasantly surprised.

I really liked the nods to the ST:TNG TV series especially the old uniforms from Seasons 3 to 7 and actual Klingons.

I don't like how Romulans have been portrayed.

Making Romulans into "docile housekeepers" as some sort of allusion to illegal immigrants or refugees is a bit much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad