Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't like how Romulans have been portrayed.

Making Romulans into "docile housekeepers" as some sort of allusion to illegal immigrants or refugees is a bit much.

I was confused about why Romulans (once citizens of a mighty empire) were playing housekeeper. You may've pegged it: it's part of the social commentary that we were warned that the writers would be slipping into the show.

I think it helps my perception that I have no idea what you guys are talking about :laugh:

I've been a lifelong Trek fan and I'm not sure what Trek fans are talking about sometimes. I particularly get lost when talk turns to the "Prime" and "Kelvin" universes and things like Romulus being destroyed by a supernova. I try to block the events from the reboot movies from my memory and pretend like they don't exist, not memorize them as canon. I'm a little miffed that this series is carrying on Abrams Trek instead of being a true sequel to TNG. Acting like the Romulan Empire is no more (or spread out and peaceful) seems like it basically erases all of the Romulan episodes in TNG (and DS9) from canon.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I was confused about why Romulans (once citizens of a mighty empire) were playing housekeeper. You may've pegged it: it's part of the social commentary that we were warned that the writers would be slipping into the show.

I don't see anything wrong with Picard having Romulan refugees as housemates/-keepers, it's perfectly inline with his character to do so. Also, f*** you to the anti-SJW people complaining about social commentary. YOU PEOPLE are the absolute worst.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't see anything wrong with Picard having Romulan refugees as housemates/-keepers, it's perfectly inline with his character to do so. Also, **** you to the anti-SJW people complaining about social commentary. YOU PEOPLE are the absolute worst.

Did you just explode and say "**** you" over very mild "complaining" like that and then call us the "absolute worst"? Check yourself in the mirror and maybe take a nap.

Reactions: Guardian17

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Did you just explode and say "**** you" over very mild "complaining" like that and then call us the "absolute worst"? Check yourself in the mirror and maybe take a nap.

So you admit to being anti-sjw? Then what the hell are you doing watching Star Trek, the "wokest" tv show of all time, a liberal utopia?

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Just saw the first episode. I like it (but I'm a fan of course). The first episode saw a lot of setting-up and explaining for the new story, which is slow. And it's mostly on Earth right now and we might have to wait a bit for ST to head out into space where it belongs. The old Federation was more Utopian in nature, humankind had managed to meet more idealized objectives; the new Federation seems to have been corrupted. Many fans won't like ST going darker, or messing with original timelines to create new foes and friends. I've decided to park the analysis and just take it for what it's worth and enjoy the ride. My main concern is that this main story arc does not conclude at the end of episode 10 and we have to wait a year to see an ending (leave us waiting on a hook). I have a funny suspicion they might pull that trick (to be continued) and the end of this season and I won't like it. I'm gearing up for that possible disappointment, but hopefully they will give us at least a partial conclusion (have that conclusion train come into the station on time and not leave us sadly waiting at the gate).

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So you admit to being anti-sjw? Then what the hell are you doing watching Star Trek, the "wokest" tv show of all time, a liberal utopia?

I was just thinking, if “social justice warrior” is a real thing, the ultimate example is Jean-Luc Picard :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

You shouldn't quote me, reference what I said and say "you people" and then not only pretend that you weren't talking to me, but suggest that I accept the label that you gave because I responded to you at all. The fact that you like labels and looking at things in black and white doesn't mean that everyone does.

As for the second part, I could ask you what you're doing watching a show that exemplifies good behavior and getting along with people.

Reactions: Guardian17

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You shouldn't quote me, reference what I said and say "you people" and then not only pretend that you weren't talking to me, but suggest that I accept the label that you gave because I responded to you at all. The fact that you like labels and looking at things in black and white doesn't mean that everyone does.

As for the second part, I could ask you what you're doing watching a show that exemplifies good behavior and getting along with people.

Only color I see is chaos.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't see anything wrong with Picard having Romulan refugees as housemates/-keepers, it's perfectly inline with his character to do so. Also, **** you to the anti-SJW people complaining about social commentary. YOU PEOPLE are the absolute worst.

For Picard yes, but, not for the Romulans.

giphy.gif

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was under the impression that they were there out of loyalty to Picard and his efforts to save as many Romulans as possible against the prevailing opinion.

They may well factor in as more than housekeepers at some point.

Reactions: Cloned

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Great, slow burn, premiere. Patrick Stewart is phenomenal. A terrific premise, and I look forward to what's next. I'm a relatively recent convert to Star Trek, and from what I've watched so far, the talent of, and chemistry, of the TNG cast puts it above the rest.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I was under the impression that they were there out of loyalty to Picard and his efforts to save as many Romulans as possible against the prevailing opinion.

They may well factor in as more than housekeepers at some point.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad