Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
All four of the movies are bad, IMO, just varying degrees of it. None of them capture TNG and translate it successfully to the big screen. First Contact feels the most like a big screen movie, but not much like Star Trek. Insurrection feels the most like Star Trek, but not much like a big screen movie. I prefer the latter, but I really would've preferred if they'd managed to combined the parts that worked about both movies and made a single one. That's the really disappointing thing about their movie run, IMO, that they didn't put it all together even once. At least for every mediocre or bad movie with the original crew, there was a movie in which they did put it all together. We didn't even get one such TNG film.

Dude it doesn't matter. There are many episodes that are worthy of being movies. "The Best of Both World's" would not have been made better by being in theaters first. Same goes for "Yesterday's Enterprise." They were friggin perfect.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
It's really cool to see Data, Riker and Troi again.

Call me a nostalgic fool, but I'd rather just watch a show with the old cast doing old stuff....:laugh:

I hope they are overplaying the action. I was hoping for a more cerebral show.

The new characters don't seem interesting, but we'll see.

....I guess I could just rewatch TNG again though....

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
A bunch of cameos to make us not pay attention to the same mistakes Nemesis made, turning the show into a rapidpace action fest.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Dude it doesn't matter. There are many episodes that are worthy of being movies. "The Best of Both World's" would not have been made better by being in theaters first. Same goes for "Yesterday's Enterprise." They were friggin perfect.

It matters to me that TNG didn't have big screen success and ended the way that it did. TOS was pretty top notch, itself, yet I would say that it mattered that its films were as good as they were because they brought Star Trek back into mainstream popularity and led to TNG's creation. If they had been mediocre, we might've never gotten TNG or the early-to-mid-90s golden age of Trek. The franchise would've died in the 80s.

Similarly, what did we miss out on because the TNG films were mediocre and helped end the franchise as we knew it by the early 00s? If they had been excellent, we might've gotten more films and series like TNG and the franchise might've continued moving forward (figuratively and chronologically). Instead, TNG's big screen failure precipitated a change in the direction of the franchise: to go backwards and make everything a prequel or reboot to the original series. This series, Picard, is the first Trek entry since the last films to not be either of those. I'd say that it mattered greatly that the TNG films weren't very good.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It matters to me that TNG didn't have big screen success and ended the way that it did. TOS was pretty top notch, itself, yet I would say that it mattered that its films were as good as they were because they brought Star Trek back into popularity, made it mainstream and led to TNG's creation. If they had been mediocre, we might've never gotten TNG or the early-to-mid-90s golden age of Trek. The franchise would've died in the 80s.

Similarly, what did we miss out on because the TNG films were mediocre and helped end the franchise as we knew it by the early 00s? If they had been excellent, we might've gotten more films and series like TNG and the franchise might've continued moving forward (figuratively and chronologically). Instead, TNG's big screen failure precipitated a change in the direction of the franchise: to go backwards and make everything a prequel or reboot to the original series. This series, Picard, is the first Trek entry since the last films to not be either of those. I say that it ended up mattering greatly that the TNG films weren't very good.

That's an interesting perspective. I can't really disagree with any of it.

I guess I am just satisfied with what we got from TNG. Sure, the TNG movies could have been better, it's just that I think they were kind of a side dish more than a main event. At least they are in terms of hours I spent watching them.

I don't know that having more of it is a reasonable expectation. They already did a lot and made a lot of great shows. I don't know how much longer or how much more excellence could have been sustained.

Making big money movies sometimes leads to decision-making that is based on $$$ and not true Trek stories - which is what happened with that most recent idiotic Fast and Furious moto cross bike jumping atrocity that somebody sharted onto a big screen and slapped the Star Trek name on ("Beyond Stupid" - it should have been called). I have serious doubts that popularity is what's best for the franchise. At least from my very selfish perspective.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I guess I am just satisfied with what we got from TNG. Sure, the TNG movies could have been better, it's just that I think they were kind of a side dish more than a main event. At least they are in terms of hours I spent watching them.

I don't know that having more of it is a reasonable expectation. They already did a lot and made a lot of great shows. I don't know how much longer or how much more excellence could have been sustained.

I don't think that being satisfied with the series and disappointed with the films are mutually exclusive. You can be both. To use a depressing example, you can be happy for all of the great years that you had with a loved one and still be bothered by the fact that he/she wasted away in the end. TNG wasted away in the end and that continues to be a bothersome to me, even though I remain very satisfied with the series and consider it my all-time favorite.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
New Admiral Picard Uniform from STAR TREK: PICARD

New Admiral Picard Uniform from STAR TREK: PICARD Production Unveiled at Destination Star Trek Convention • TrekCore.com

picard-adm-uni-01-340x420.jpg

picard-adm-uni-02-534x420.jpg

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Be very very weary about this.

I love Patrick Stewart, but they're selling the action pieces, in a Star Trek show, that's not a good sign. Star Trek is about discovery and problem solving moral and social dilemmas, not shooting up the bad guy. Even in DS9, the most action based series pre-JJ butchering the franchise, the characters were always trying to find their way out of their problems by talking to eachother and working with one another.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!

I love Patrick Stewart, but they're selling the action pieces, in a Star Trek show, that's not a good sign. Star Trek is about discovery and problem solving moral and social dilemmas, not shooting up the bad guy. Even in DS9, the most action based series pre-JJ butchering the franchise, the characters were always trying to find their way out of their problems by talking to eachother and working with one another.

Seven of Nine is dual-wielding shooting a place up. This is going to be stupid. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The hopeful Trekkie in me wants this to be good because it's Patrick Stewart and going back to things that existed when Trek was good.

The realist in me is scared because between Discovery and the last few "main reality" (non-Abrams) Trek movies which featured the TNG cast knows that the supposed "Star Trek people" that are in charge of that corner of the franchise universe seem to have no idea how to make a Trek series that people actually want and instead serve up whatever the hell they feel like with an attitude akin to "we're giving you new Trek, you should like it no matter what shape it comes in because card-carrying fandom apparently goes hand-in-hand with the idea that 'true' fans should love whatever their beloved franchise puts out simply because it has the Trek brand slapped onto it.

Reactions: Osprey

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The hopeful Trekkie in me wants this to be good because it's Patrick Stewart and going back to things that existed when Trek was good.

The realist in me is scared because between Discovery and the last few "main reality" (non-Abrams) Trek movies which featured the TNG cast knows that the supposed "Star Trek people" that are in charge of that corner of the franchise universe seem to have no idea how to make a Trek series that people actually want and instead serve up whatever the hell they feel like with an attitude akin to "we're giving you new Trek, you should like it no matter what shape it comes in because card-carrying fandom apparently goes hand-in-hand with the idea that 'true' fans should love whatever their beloved franchise puts out simply because it has the Trek brand slapped onto it.

The best Trek to come out since the end of ENT has been What we Left Behind, a documentary about DS9, which ended 20+ years ago and was the black duckling of the franchise.

That being said, if you count fandom stuff, Star Trek: Continues is by and far the best Trek product to come out since ENT.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Not that excited for any new Trek because there hasn't been any good Trek in a long time and I also hate current Hollywood because they keep ruining things. That trailer I posted doesn't do anything to change how I feel about new Trek.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Since this is on CBS All Access I wont bother seeing it

Refuse to pay for service and given how awful Discovery has proven there should be no reason to expect CBS will get this right

Frankly the fact they bought ST rights just to stick it on pay service pissed me off to begin with and the god awful pilot and issues with Discovery since essentially killed Trek for me

As far as I am concerned Star Trek ended when Voyager arrived back at Earth

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I’m excited for the series. I’ve been impressed by the trailers and Jeri Ryan is back. That by default makes this more than just TNG continues. It’s finally moving forward in the Trek era I grew up with, and we might get some Voyager hints.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

They're trying to bring in an audience, they need to show action. Watch the original previews for TNG in 1987, they showed plenty of action and actually used clips of the Enterpirse vs. Bird of Prey from ST III and the Genesis comp graphics from ST II. No one wants to see a preview of JLP sipping Earl Grey and reading Shakespeare.

The actor is in his late 70s and the Picard character is in his mid-90s so he won't be going full action hero.

There is going to be social dilemmas between the Tal Shiar experimenting on The Borg, Musiker having a substance abuse issue and not trusting Picard, Rios (Musiker's b/f) hates Picard because he's "the best" of the Starfleet and Rios was kicked out or left in disgrace, and 7 of 9/Annika Henson helping them out. The good Romulans are also going to be a key by the previews and comic. Picard is making a choice to go back to space after his demons or whatever happens on Yuyak Beta (comics that are out now).

The show does feel a little like Firefly with a rag tag crew on some kind of small ship and a girl (Daj) who has super powers/very important, but let's give it a chance before crapping on it.

Everyone just be happy the "slap in the face" that was Nemesis can be erased if they do at minimum a decent to good job on this show. The fact that we get to spend 10-20 more episodes with Picard makes me happy because Nemesis was THAT BAD.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Seven of Nine is dual-wielding shooting a place up. This is going to be stupid. :laugh:

And I think I saw an elf with a sword in there? :laugh:

I'm pretty much only a TNG fan when it comes to Star Trek and while I love the format I don't think you need to stick to that to give Picard a send off. If they were doing a new series that's expected to run for a number of years then sure, but for the purpose here which is more like a mini-series I think they can get away with making it more action/adventure.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Romulan with a sword isn't that big of a deal. Worf has the B'atleh (sp) in the 80s/90s but because you know, it's from then it's cool. As I said before, Patrick Stewart is in his late 70s and the Jean-Luc Picard character is in his 90s so it makes sense for him to have a bodyguard or/ronin type character.

It's an interesting plot point that there are good Romulans who are loyal to Picard. He saved a lot of people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->