Part 6: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
wow...that's some pretty huge news, especially considering that it's being done with the blessing of the BOG and not as some sort of rogue element...

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
The next time we hear from True North Sports and Entertainment it likely won’t be to announce the return of the NHL to our city but will instead be a call for Winnipeggers to demonstrate their ability to support an NHL team.

Does this city want an NHL franchise and is it willing to pay for it? Are Winnipeggers willing to buy tickets at NHL prices with a long-term financial commitment?

A Winnipeg franchise is not a guaranteed economic success in the minds of many NHL types and it’s a certainty the league’s board of governors will tell True North, should they get to the point where they are prepared to relocate to Winnipeg, to go to its constituents and ask for a vote of confidence.

Such a cash call could come as early as next week.

True North, in order to satisfy the board of governors, will likely ask Winnipeggers to commit to purchasing season tickets for a minimum of three seasons.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...-trigger-campaign-for-NHL-season-tickets.html

GHOST

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
wow...that's some pretty huge news, especially considering that it's being done with the blessing of the BOG and not as some sort of rogue element...

Always wondered when this was going to happen. We will have to see how it works. I would have thought that current Moose ticket holders would be asked first, or will it be a free for all?

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
so there have been lots of screaming, will Winnipeggers put their money where their mouths were, no refunds? 3 yrs.?

Only 5 or 6 thousand STH's the last years of Winnipeg according to Lawless and Hustler. They sound a little less than satisfied that it's a done deal that lots of tickets will be sold.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Always wondered when this was going to happen. We will have to see how it works. I would have thought that current Moose ticket holders would be asked first, or will it be a free for all?

odds would be Moose ticket holders would get first crack
makes sense to me

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
so there have been lots of screaming, will Winnipeggers put their money where their mouths were, no refunds? 3 yrs.?

Where do you get no refunds from? If people put in to buy tickets, why the heck would they want a refund to begin with?

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
I would imagine that they're wanting people to pay down for one season and sign a contract for the other two with installments or something of that nature.

Asking fans to put down $12,000 or more in one fell swoop for three years of season tickets is a fool's task no matter what market it is.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
I think they are testing the corporate market. Will there be "big money" backers?

The common fans will show up game days if the team is any good. If the team sucks, (like if you get the Thrashers) then you will have the same half full arena in year 3.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Atlanta's worst year (this one) there were over 7,000 season ticket holders. Just saying.

What would happen if they were asked to renew for a three year minimum in order to demonstrate the viability of the market?

I think they are testing the corporate market. Will there be "big money" backers?

The common fans will show up game days if the team is any good. If the team sucks, (like if you get the Thrashers) then you will have the same have full arena in year 3.

The Oilers stink way worse and play to a full house.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I agree

I know people that want season tickets
but for three years minimum..... I dont know about that

FWIW, both Columbus and Toronto require prospective season ticket buyers to buy Personal Seat Licenses. Columbus also required a 5 year commitment with the PSLs, when they were trying to get the franchise. Each PSL was about the same cost as the season in that seat. They sold about 15,000 PSLs.

Also, after that initial 5 year period, if the season tickets weren't renewed, the PSLs were forfeited.

BrianL*

The devil is always in the details. Is this going to target mainly corporate commitments? Will we know what the target level is? What would happen if people committed then backed out? Is there going to be some binding legal document? Will they take people to court to enforce it?

This seems unprecedented. If this will be the norm before the NHL will set up shop someplace, fine. If it is just Winnipeg being targeted, that doesn't sit well with me.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is an absolute load of *********!

Did they ask ATL or MIN to do this?

Do you SERIOUSLY think that they will ask anyone else if they relocate/ expand to do this?

Why in the hell don't they demand that Atlanta, Florida, Phoenix sell x amount of season tickets for 3 years in order to stay in their 'exclusive club'.

They are treating us like second hand citizens and I am starting to get extremely pissed off.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I could not possibly care less about the 3 year commitment, I would be willing. Not sure why somebody would want season tix for just one year anyways. The plan would always be to have multiple years no? Whatever, does not effect my optimism in the least. Whatever it takes to bring NHL hockey back to wpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad