Part 6: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Companies will buy the tickets in quantity and simply resell them at the beginning of each season to individual buyers

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
What would happen if they were asked to renew for a three year minimum in order to demonstrate the viability of the market?

The Oilers stink way worse and play to a full house.

The STH'ers in Atlanta this year were the hardcore, most of whom (me included) have paid big money to support this BS ownership group for over 7 years.

First year the STH base was almost 13K.

As the owners worked to sabatoge the franchise, the smart people peeled away. THIS was the worst year. It will go back up with new ownership, guaranteed.

The Oilers beat the Thrashers after being down by 3 goals in the third. :laugh:

KingJet*

I think Bettman should step down and start a snowshoeing franchise in Florida and Phoenix, he'll be rich, might even make more than the coyotes :sarcasm:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
There's no possible way they can be asking people to pay three years. I would imagine something like leek mentioned with the PSL's. And as right now with no NHL team to actually sell tickets to, it's gotta be some sort of deposit right now and commitment IF the team comes to buy a PSL and season tickets for 3 years, of course financed over 3 years.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
What? Selling season tickets??? Who is he, Ballsilie?

It makes no sense whatsoever to give one week without previous notice to sell 15 000 3 years season tickets, that's madness!

However, I have no doubt they'll sell, just like the j'ai ma place seats for the new colisée à Québec.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
I DO know that before Atlanta came back with the Thrashers, they had already sold all the suites. They also had a large STH base with the Knights and they sold out a preseason game between Boston and Pittsburgh before announcing a franchise to those of us "great unwashed" that were ready to unload bucks for tix.

Agreed that there is a screw job going on for you guys, we had 2 years to pay off the first season of tickets. I remember we purchased tix the season before the team dropped the first puck and were able to pay installments through mid-season of the inaugural year.

Good luck guys.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg

It makes no sense whatsoever to give one week without previous notice to sell 15 000 3 years season tickets, that's madness!

However, I have no doubt they'll sell, just like the j'ai ma place seats for the new colisée à Québec.

i think the tickets will sell but considering what they put up with from Phoenix and Atlanta i think we're being expected to run a marathon while Phoenix is being asked to waddle 50 feet.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
There's no possible way they can be asking people to pay three years. I would imagine something like leek mentioned with the PSL's. And as right now with no NHL team to actually sell tickets to, it's gotta be some sort of deposit right now and commitment IF the team comes to buy a PSL and season tickets for 3 years, of course financed over 3 years.

Yeah its gotta be something like 5000$ a year x3 = 15000$ and people will signed on to pay 425 $ a month for 36 months

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I agree. All money up front would be ridiculous. I wonder if minipacks (10 games or so per season) would be offered in this situation or is a commitment to all 41 games required.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
It's ALL about the $$$.

It's ALWAYS been about the $$$$.

The NHL is worried about corporate dollars, not about the average Joe Fan that will spend tons on beer and jerseys. That's why they are holding out.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
They'll sell, easy.

But what an obnoxious demand by the NHL. Gee, don't recall Fester making this demand going back into other market "failures" like Atlanta and Minnesota.

I sort of wonder, though, if this is coming from the NHL, or from TNSE. It's an awesome marketing ploy to help sell tickets. Hey, you've gotta buy right now, or we won't even get the team!! Really helps TNSE the most in the long run, really.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
i think the tickets will sell but considering what they put up with from Phoenix and Atlanta i think we're being expected to run a marathon while Phoenix is being asked to waddle 50 feet.

Not even that far. There seems to be no way for Canadians to deal with the NHL anymore without being humiliated in one way or another. I really, really wish I didn't grow up with the NHL. In a lot of ways, it'd be nice to be able to just turn the TV off and stop caring. I hate what the NHL has become in so many ways. But I'm still here, and just about to eagerly watch the Bruins crush the Habs...

I guess that's why Bettman and crew take the Canadian fan for granted.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
They'll sell, easy.

But what an obnoxious demand by the NHL. Gee, don't recall Fester making this demand going back into other market "failures" like Atlanta and Minnesota.

I sort of wonder, though, if this is coming from the NHL, or from TNSE. It's an awesome marketing ploy to help sell tickets. Hey, you've gotta buy right now, or we won't even get the team!! Really helps TNSE the most in the long run, really.
I would bet this is from TNSE. TNSE needs to prove to the BoG that Winnipeg rates an NHL team plus it gives them some financial certainty for the future.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

This would be done with the NHL's consent, actually at the request of the BOG, unlike the unauthorized Ballsilie tickets drive. Huge difference. There is no way it would only be one week, but even if it was I wouldn't be concerned. In fact I am waaay more concerned that I'd miss the announcement by a day and NOT get tickets.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
:laugh:

Now you guys in the Peg know how we feel in Atlanta!!!!

Get this:

BUY THOSE TICKETS! So what that there isn't an NHL team here!!!
We've heard that for 10 of 11 seasons!!!!

:biglaugh:

Seriously....I'm sure the north fans are excited, I was ecstatic when it was rumored that the ATL was getting a team back....too bad it's turned out that we were cursed with the jackinapes that we got to run the team into the ground,

but best of luck.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I guess this is put up or shut up time for WPG. Personally, I have no problem putting down for season tickets and my guess is that they'd be sold out in 48 hours.

Still, I really don't know if I trust this. The NHL is going to authorize another market to start selling season tickets for a team thats still in the playoffs? Remeber when Balsillie tried it and they went bananas?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This would be done with the NHL's consent, actually at the request of the BOG, unlike the unauthorized Ballsilie tickets drive. Huge difference. There is no way it would only be one week, but even if it was I wouldn't be concerned. In fact I am waaay more concerned that I'd miss the announcement by a day and NOT get tickets.

I bet they sell out all the seats they set aside as seasons in two days, man the phones :laugh:. They wouldn't want to commit the whole place to season seats. That wouldn't be fair to the average fan. Especially in a new market.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Im not from Winnipeg, i was just doing quick math 45 games at 100$ +service charges

I'm agreeing with your post BTW :)

Commenting on the previous poster? 50 Dollars a ticket AVERAGE??? In A Canadian Market?

50 bucks gets you cheap seats in Edmonton and Calgary, I think an "average" ticket price for Peg will be between 100-150 dollars (Toronto by Comparsion "averages" out to 200 a ticket, the CHEAPEST ticket in Toronto is 50 nose bleeds)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Im not from Winnipeg, i was just doing quick math 45 games at 100$ +service charges

Maybe for gold seats but we're talking the whole place including some upper bowl. The average ticket price is 50, in Phoenix it was 37. Only the Leafs average over 100 (117) almost everybody else is high 40's low 50's

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Maybe for gold seats but we're talking the whole place including some upper bowl. The average ticket price is 50, in Phoenix it was 37. Only the Leafs average over 100 (117) almost everybody else is high 40's low 50's
We pay a little over 90 bucks in the third row of the upper bowl in Edmonton. The average in Winnipeg will be MUCH higher than $50.

You're at $3K plus in Edmonton on anything other than colonnade or gallery. I'd expect Winnipeg will be the same or higher in some spots.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
This is still a big blowhard in Gary Lawless making this claim. I think there are holes in his story. the NHL won't pull the plug on Phoenix unless they know where the team is going but lawless claims the ticket drive will be AFTER the plug is pulled. That's jiust not logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->