Part 6: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
And in the Free Press this morning.... :handclap:
24m71i0.jpg

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
And in the Free Press this morning.... :handclap:
24m71i0.jpg

:amazed:

There's no way a huge firm like Domino's can have a full page Jets ad without first receiving aprouval from True North or the NHL. This really doesn't fit the "not raising expectations in Winnipeg" demand of the NHL, that's for sure!

The future official Pizza of the New Winnipeg Jets prehaps? :handclap:

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
:amazed:

There's no way a huge firm like Domino's can have a full page Jets ad without first receiving aprouval from True North or the NHL. This really doesn't fit the "not raising expectations in Winnipeg" demand of the NHL, that's for sure!

The future official Pizza of the New Winnipeg Jets prehaps? :handclap:

A huge corporation playing on public sentiment to sell more product? I'm shocked! SHOCKED I say! ;)

Domino's doesn't need TN's approval to run that ad. TN doesn't own the Jets or hold their trademark at this point. I'm sure the NHL isnt too happy about this though, unless of course Domino's has an agreement with the NHL to use all of their trademarks?

Puckschmuck*

A huge corporation playing on public sentiment to sell more product? I'm shocked! SHOCKED I say! ;)

Domino's doesn't need TN's approval to run that ad. TN doesn't own the Jets or hold their trademark at this point. I'm sure the NHL isnt too happy about this though, unless of course Domino's has an agreement with the NHL to use all of their trademarks?

I highly doubt that Domino's can just use whatever logo they feel like using without the owners permission. Unless there is truly some sort of agreement between the NHL and Domino's for it's use, that is. So if they used the Jets logo without permission, I doubt the NHL would be impressed with this. However if they did indeed get permission to do this add, then there goes the NHL's statement of "We don't want to raise the expectations of Winnipeggers".

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
No offense, but I think you all are reading a little too deeply into that advertisement.

It may just be an "if you're coming back, we'll welcome you back with open arms" sort of statement.

Not to mention, they're a corporation vying for peoples' money. By incorporating the old Jets logo into an advert saying they'll welcome back the Jets, they've got the full attention of hockey fans in the city of Winnipeg. It's win-win for the company. They win in the short term, by increased sales due to their advert about the Jets. Assuming the Jets do move back, they also win in the long term. If the Jets do not return, they still won out on short term sales.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
That's very odd that advertisement. If it was just some local mom and pop operation I'd think it was just optimism in the face of all these rumours, but Dominos is a big multi-national company with presumably more red-tape and approvals needed for this sort of thing. I'm more inclined to file this under 'where there's smoke there's fire'.

Koss

NHL logos are not fair use, they are trademarks and owned by the NHL. One of three things happened here:

Dominoes used the logo without permission; which would be surprising for a company that size, but stranger things have happened

Dominoes has an encompassing and continuing agreement to use NHL logos in their advertising, which would surprise me as the NHL would probably want some input or at least approval of changing advertising campaigns

Dominoes approached the NHL for permission for this ad. If this is the case, what does that mean?

editted to add: The wording of the ad was very carefully chosen, so it just leads to even more mystery around this incredible story so far.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
NHL logos are not fair use, they are trademarks and owned by the NHL. One of three things happened here:

Dominoes used the logo without permission; which would be surprising for a company that size, but stranger things have happened

Dominoes has an encompassing and continuing agreement to use NHL logos in their advertising, which would surprise me as the NHL would probably want some input or at least approval of changing advertising campaigns

Dominoes approached the NHL for permission for this ad. If this is the case, what does that mean?

editted to add: The wording of the ad was very carefully chosen, so it just leads to even more mystery around this incredible story so far.

I'll take copyright infringement for 200 Alex. :naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm going 65/65 Phoenix now, because the league is that stupid.

65/35, rather.

That's very odd that advertisement. If it was just some local mom and pop operation I'd think it was just optimism in the face of all these rumours, but Dominos is a big multi-national company with presumably more red-tape and approvals needed for this sort of thing. I'm more inclined to file this under 'where there's smoke there's fire'.

I find it very difficult to belief that the high command of Domino's Pizza knows more about the prospects for the return of the NHL to Winnipeg than plugged in media, etc. What it does say is that their ad people have assessed that the Winnipeg market is very interested in NHL hockey. But we kind of knew that already, I suppose.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
lol - it would actually be trademark infringement. Noticeably absent upon further inspection is that the logo contains no 'tm' that approved use of NHL logos contain in my experience. This logo may actually be used without permission.

DOH! "Right you are Kenny!"

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Interesting ad. Hard to believe a major company like Domino's would use the logo unauthorized by the NHL. Same deal as the Budweiser TV ad with the Jets sign going up on the wall. Strange stuff. It'd be interesting if a reporter would ask the NHL head honchos what this all means, if anything, and how companies have gotten the rights to use the Jets logo in ads right now.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

Most local print advertising in big corporations is done at the local level through local media buyers and/or ad firms. The "high command" of Domino's most likely isnt approving every media buy they do nor do they approve it's content. (National advertising is another story) This could just be the case of an overzealous local ad exec and hockey fan in WPG trying to play on something that's topical in the City to drum up business.

I seriously doubt this is some "Beautiful Mind" hidden message to convey that this is a done deal.

Although I did toast a bagel the other morning that sort of resembled Moe Mantha, so that's got to count for something? ;)

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Most local print advertising in big corporations is done at the local level through local media buyers and/or ad firms. The "high command" of Domino's most likely isnt approving every media buy they do nor do they approve it's content. (National advertising is another story) This could just be the case of an overzealous local ad exec and hockey fan in WPG trying to play on something that's topical in the City to drum up business.

I seriously doubt this is some "Beautiful Mind" hidden message to convey that this is a done deal.

Although I did toast a bagel the other morning that sort of resembled Moe Mantha, so that's got to count for something? ;)

What's somewhat interesting about that ad, is the cost. I assume it's a local market ad, but that wasn't a cheap ad. Why would they spend that kind of money, and why would they potentially infringe? Weird.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
What's somewhat interesting about that ad, is the cost. I assume it's a local market ad, but that wasn't a cheap ad. Why would they spend that kind of money, and why would they potentially infringe? Weird.

To sell pizzas

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Rumour floating around today is city will close Portage and Main Friday afternoon for a major announcement ?

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
"we will welcome you back" sounds very confident, "bring back the jets" sounds not very confident.

it doesnt mean the coyotes will relocate to winnipeg this fall, but the return of hockey to winnipeg will be very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad