Part 6: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
AWA held 16,210 for hockey, not 18,000+. Of that 16,210, three thousand seats had obstructed views, with one net completely out of view. Would you go to a game where you have to look at a teevee screen to see one of the nets? I sure as hell wouldn't. I guess that makes me a bad fan, just like all the people in Phoenix who wouldn't do that either.

Now I'm no math major, but it seems to me that the hockey capacity of AWA, minus the number of obstructed-view seats, is a smaller number than the attendance figures you quoted. That means that every seat with a full view of the ice was sold, plus a decent chunk of the obstructed-view seats.

In Calgary they have the "SportChek" zone which is ~500 extra seats that have an obstructed view (you can only see 2/3 of the rink with very large TV's on the obstruction so you can still "watch" the game. They reopened it in 2001 and its sold out since.

Last edited:

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
Perhaps you've heard of a facility known as the Winnipeg Arena? You pretty much had to look at the TVs to see *anything* in the upper-deck because giant pillars were in the way.

:laugh: It was the most overpriced sportsbar ever. tv's as sightlines, horrible food, overpriced beer, bad parking, deathtrap stairs.......but some fond memories

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
In Calgary they have the "SportChek" zone which is ~500 extra seats that have an obstructed view (you can only see 2/3 of the rink with very large TV's on the obstruction so you can still "watch" the game. They reopened it in 2001 and its sold out since.

Perhaps you've heard of a facility known as the Winnipeg Arena? You pretty much had to look at the TVs to see *anything* in the upper-deck because giant pillars were in the way.

All you've proven is that Phoenix residents don't have the same I'd-do-anything-just-to-be-in-the-building mentality as Canadians when it comes to hockey.

#1 - Duh.
#2 - That's not the point I was refuting.

If you want to think that a desire to see the entire playing surface is an outrageous demand because a couple of hundred Canadians are stupid enough to buy a ticket to watch a game on teevee, then I recommend you either drink more or drink less :nod:

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
:laugh: It was the most overpriced sportsbar ever. tv's as sightlines, horrible food, overpriced beer, bad parking, deathtrap stairs.......but some fond memories

Well, yeah. I'm not trying to talk smack about the Old Barn. I was just pointing out that we paid full ticket prices to watch games on TV, so maybe Coyotes fans should stop complaining.

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
Ah, good times.

Shoulder to shoulder with a hundred of your closest friends !

It was like ghostbusters "don't cross streams!!"

closing_gate-300x229.jpg

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
All you've proven is that Phoenix residents don't have the same I'd-do-anything-just-to-be-in-the-building mentality as Canadians when it comes to hockey.

#1 - Duh.

If you want to think that a desire to see the entire playing surface is an outrageous demand because a couple of hundred Canadians are stupid enough to buy a ticket to watch a game on teevee, then I recommend you either drink more or drink less :nod:

Phoenix residents don't have the "watch hockey" mentality. if they did, numbers wouldn't be fudged, plain and simple

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
A lot of arenas and stadiums used to have a "trough." Atlanta Fulton County Stadium had those, too.

But I'm sure in a lot of those cities, the patrons didn't have to worry about dropping thier garbage mitts in them while doing thier business. A unique risk to those in cold climates.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
But I'm sure in a lot of those cities, the patrons didn't have to worry about dropping thier garbage mitts in them while doing thier business. A unique risk to those in cold climates.

Being from a cold climate originally, I know it all too well. Just sayin' that the trough wasn't unique to any one venue, is all. :)

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
The trough at Winnipeg Stadium is the worst.

Late season playoff games.

Cold weather. Lots of beer consumed.

Steam.

Ugh.

:(

Luckily there haven't been many playoff games lately.

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
The trough at Winnipeg Stadium is the worst.

Late season playoff games.

Cold weather. Lots of beer consumed.

Steam.

Ugh.

:(

Luckily there haven't been many playoff games lately.

What you want to do at the stadium is eat asparagus heavily that day, drink lots of water and when you get into the trough it just makes people want to puke
:laugh:
yes that would be me that does it every game

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Phoenix residents don't have the "watch hockey" mentality. if they did, numbers wouldn't be fudged, plain and simple

Why do you say that? Because they won't pay to see a team that may not be there next year? I wouldn't either - does that make me a bad fan?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Source: Winnipeg on the radar

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/04/14/source_winnipeg_coyotes/

A source within the National Hockey League has admitted to Sportsnet that Winnipeg is on the league's radar if the Phoenix Coyotes need to be relocated. The source was responding to a report Wednesday from Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean...

"While I'm not prepared to confirm or deny (the report), it certainly would be irresponsible (if not incompetent) on our part if we weren't doing all the things we need to do to ensure we have alternatives at the appropriate time. One alternative may be Winnipeg," the source told Sportsnet via e-mail.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Joe Louis Arena STILL has troughs in the washrooms.

Well, having now confirmed that there are trough-style urinals in the Joe Louis Arena in a thread about TNSE's attempts to bring an NHL team to Wpg, I think that we can now formally accept the theory that if a discussion thread goes long enough, you will touch on just about every possible topic - sort of like the "six degrees of separation" theory. :handclap:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
Troughs should be mandated at all professional sports venues. I can't believe how long it takes men to move through these days. Embarrassing.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Why do you say that? Because they won't pay to see a team that may not be there next year? I wouldn't either - does that make me a bad fan?

I think it's moreso because they haven't really supported the team since its inception and haven't really done anything substantial to try to save their team since it has been threatened with relocation.

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005

#1 - Duh.

You asked this question:

Would you go to a game where you have to look at a teevee screen to see one of the nets?

I was just answering it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad