OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Regardless of the results in the Western semi-final or a potential Western Final in Winnipeg, this has been a huge bounce-back year for the Lions franchise.

The team has been the talk of the CFL with probably the most talented Canadian QB ever to grace the league, And looks like he's committed to the Leos for years. They have solid local ownership and a professional football staff led by Rick Campbell.

They deserve a big crowd for the Western semi-final.....at least one pro sports franchise is doing it right on and off the field.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Regardless of the results in the Western semi-final or a potential Western Final in Winnipeg, this has been a huge bounce-back year for the Lions franchise.

The team has been the talk of the CFL with probably the most talented Canadian QB ever to grace the league, And looks like he's committed to the Leos for years. They have solid local ownership and a professional football staff led by Rick Campbell.

They deserve a big crowd for the Western semi-final.....at least one pro sports franchise is doing it right on and off the field.
100%

We have had to deal with some awful owners in this city, and rightfully have complained endlessly about it.

A guy like Doman steps up to the plate and you need to show the guy some support. Looks like the tide has turned and the club’s profile has started to rise again. Rome isn’t built overnight but you hope for momentum and that’s what we’re seeing.

Hopefully we can eclipse atleast 35,000 for this game. Vancouver is a funny sports town. People really get into events and things can kind of snowball. If the media starts reporting the upper bowl is opening up and an extra stadium deal or two is brought into the picture I could see tickets flying off the shelf.

Maybe one day we can return to the mid 2000s (hell even the 80s)

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I will be honest this is the reason I bought tickets. If I am paying I want to see a good QB. I am paying to see him on play in the semi finals. Hope it isn’t a PR stunt.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Rourke looked comfy and understandably a little rusty. Peg came out to play tonight wanting to make a statement to their potential West Final opponent.

I admittedly didn’t bother watching the second half as I think there’s only so much Vernon Adams you can watch in a mean nothing result kind of game!

Rourke hopefully got a better feeling for the timing of the routes and most importantly he came out healthy. Calgary might be tough because he’ll probably take a quarter to hit his stride. Hopefully our D shows up next week!

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tried watching tonight's game in the 'Peg. bit eventually shifted over to the Canucks game. Looked like neither team was going all in with this one.....the mandate was to get through the game while avoiding any serious injuries.

Rourke lasted a quarter and a bit.....you tell he was rusty, but running the offense even in a mean-nothing game like this one will be of immense benefit to him in next week's Western Semi-Final.

Leos ended up using three QB's, as Adams and Pipkin followed Rourke. But nobody could generate TD.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I was the same as you two. Mean nothing game we were losing and the Canucks game was starting. That would sometimes make for a dilemma and a lot of switching back and forth. Not last night.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
100%

We have had to deal with some awful owners in this city, and rightfully have complained endlessly about it.

A guy like Doman steps up to the plate and you need to show the guy some support. Looks like the tide has turned and the club’s profile has started to rise again. Rome isn’t built overnight but you hope for momentum and that’s what we’re seeing.

Hopefully we can eclipse atleast 35,000 for this game. Vancouver is a funny sports town. People really get into events and things can kind of snowball. If the media starts reporting the upper bowl is opening up and an extra stadium deal or two is brought into the picture I could see tickets flying off the shelf.

Maybe one day we can return to the mid 2000s (hell even the 80s)
David Braley, rest in peace, wasn't one of them. Probably *THE* reason there is a CFL today is because of his efforts.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
David Braley, rest in peace, wasn't one of them. Probably *THE* reason there is a CFL today is because of his efforts.
Oh 100%. Definitely didn’t mean to insinuate he was one of them. I was pointing to the Aquilinis, Heisley, and the Whitecaps conglomerate of awfulness.

Braley saved BC, kept Toronto afloat, and was one of the few people to stand by this league in the 90s. I think I’m his final years the franchise became a little dormant but that was a byproduct of his struggle to find a buyer while dealing with his own health issues.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yep. David Braley single handedly saved the CFL. I truly believe there would be no league today had it not been for that man. There will never be another owner like him.

Also, just saw on TSN that BC got the 2024 Grey Cup. I'll be there.

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
Winnipeg has nothing much to offer for someone from Vancouver hahaha. We have a solid underground arts scene, but it's basically impossible to really visit. The best we have to offer for like a touristy site is probably the Forks, but like when I was in Granville Isle shops last weekend I realized how poor that compares lol. Hope you enjoy your stay though!

But we are very welcoming overall. Friendly Manitoba is our slogan after all. However at Bomber games it can get a bit rough for away fans so I've heard. We have a great party section near the Rum Hut, greatest thing we have going at Bomber games is that it's a party for sure.

I love your goal, my and the wife have the same goal. We've so far seen Labour Day 2018 (WPG at SSK), Grey Cup 2019 (Bombers v Ti-Cats but at Calgary), and now BC last weekend for 2022. Plan is for now to hit up Edmonton in 2023 (my brother lives there so it'll be cheap) and to hit the east over 2024-2027 to get every stadium.

If you want DM me and I'll buy you a beer (or snacks whatever I love meeting people) at the game. I swear Manitoba is super friendly even if you catch a bit of flack at the game haha.

As someone from Winnipeg...I echo this statement ;)

What a poor ambassador to the city you are, Holden. Very disappointed in your obtusely apathetic attitude.

Assiniboine Park, including the Zoo, the new botanical gardens (The Leaf) set to open by the end of the year, Assiniboine Forest, etc., The Exchange District with a plethora of cafes, restaurants, pubs, etc., Osborne Village, Corydon Ave., the Human Rights Museum at the Forks, and The Forks itself, plus lots of areas to explore just outside the city; Lower Fort Garry, Oak Hammock Marsh, All the Lakeside Beach towns, Birds Hill Park, and on and on. There are tonnes of places to explore inside and outside of the city.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The CFL is like the 'little engine that could". Over the years the league has been 'down' but never 'out'. People wondering if they'd even survive the COVID years, but here they are.

As a franchise, the Lions have more ups and downs than a high-rise elevators. Shaky ownership and lackluster attendance at times. And the fortunes of the team on the field have also waxed and waned. Heck they came into the league in 1954 and didn't win a Grey Cup until 1964.

And some true CFL legends have graced the sidelines like Wally Buono, Doug Flutie, Swervin' Mervin Fernandez, Lui Passaglia, Cam Wake and Joe Kapp, to name just a few.

And I have to hope that somewhere up there David Braley is turning 'two-thumbs-up' on the current state of the Leos. Hopefully CFL fans honor his memory with a big turnout tomorrow at B.C. Place.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The CFL is like the 'little engine that could". Over the years the league has been 'down' but never 'out'. People wondering if they'd even survive the COVID years, but here they are.

As a franchise, the Lions have more ups and downs than a high-rise elevators. Shaky ownership and lackluster attendance at times. And the fortunes of the team on the field have also waxed and waned. Heck they came into the league in 1954 and didn't win a Grey Cup until 1964.

And some true CFL legends have graced the sidelines like Wally Buono, Doug Flutie, Swervin' Mervin Fernandez, Lui Passaglia, Cam Wake and Joe Kapp, to name just a few.

And I have to hope that somewhere up there David Braley is turning 'two-thumbs-up' on the current state of the Leos. Hopefully CFL fans honor his memory with a big turnout tomorrow at B.C. Place.
only exception i take here is that ten years till a title being a hardship

your audience here is canucks fans 🙃

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Ageed....but if the NHL was a nine-team league like the CFL, surely the Canucks Stanley Cup drought wouldn't be 52-years and counting, would it? Come to think of it, don't answer that.
Psst...the Laffs "only" won 13 Cups in a six team league where alot of that period had one of those six teams had either direct control or indirect control of three of them (Detroit --> Chicago & New York). In effect, it was either a three or four team league.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Rourke looked comfy and understandably a little rusty. Peg came out to play tonight wanting to make a statement to their potential West Final opponent.

I admittedly didn’t bother watching the second half as I think there’s only so much Vernon Adams you can watch in a mean nothing result kind of game!

Rourke hopefully got a better feeling for the timing of the routes and most importantly he came out healthy. Calgary might be tough because he’ll probably take a quarter to hit his stride. Hopefully our D shows up next week!
I was at the game at the Peg. Rourke looked fairly decent (yet rusty) but I think he'll be ok. Both teams were clearly going through the motions imo.

I enjoyed walking around Winnipeg. The city isn't as bad as its rep and the people there are super friendly. I got a kick out of the Canada Life Center (where the Jets play). When I walked up to the building and looked up, it looked like I was entering a small bingo hall or small outlet store (looks much bigger inside). Not like Rogers arena at all. I found it a bit cute, lol.

Fans in Winnipeg really love their CFL. In terms of passionate fanbases, I think only Saskatchewan ranks ahead of Winnipeg. Was a tremendous overall experience and the fans there didn't give me too much shit. :-p

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
We flew out from Winnipeg for this game. We had a great time despite the Bombers loss (didn't mean anything anyways for Bombers). Lions fans were really friendly, we had a great time in the gorgeous stadium, at the pre-game tailgate and spent a few days exploring downtown, North Vancouver, and Granville Island. Great weather on the weekend as well, it was -6 when we returned to Winnipeg late last night haha. Can't wait until we go back.

For the football I'm hoping you guys beat up on Calgary in the West Semi and the Lions come out to WInnipeg on Nov 13. Should be a great time. I really like that new owner the Lions have, I think he will rejuvenate this franchise in BC. There was a solid crowd there on Saturday.
Hey!

Sorry man I completely forgot about our interaction on here. Were you at the Leo's/Blue Bombers game last week? I was there and had I remembered your offer (buy me a free beer, lol)., I would have taken you up on it. The people in Winnipeg are awesome! Very friendly people. I didn't get too much shit for wearing me Leo's jersey, lol. One thing I like about Winnipeg is that it seems like it's a hybrid of a big city and small town. Has many big city anemities but also has the "small town feel" in terms of people knowing each other, etc. At least that was my 3 day impression of the city.

Reactions: Lindgren

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Big relief to see Rourke still has it, even if he’s hobbled a bit. Excellent performance all around.

Funny that the game highlight is a trick play from Pipkin, though. (I always want them to pitch to the side on short yardage situations – CFL offenses so often play like they’re on an NFL field – but I didn’t expect that…!)

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
FyFESBr.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can see Rourke still isn't 100 percent, but still good enough to torch the Stampeders. No telling how good he'd be by now if he had been able to play the entire season.

Leos will be huge underdogs in Winterpeg next week.....but in the CFL anything is possible. That fearsome Winnipeg front-seven will hunt down Rourke and try to put him out of the game is my prediction.

But whatever the outcome, the Lions are playing with house money. Nobody really expected this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad