Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wonderful.

You beat me to it.

Honestly, a pretty bizarre choice from Rourke. Probably means he got the best signing bonus from them and just went with the money over a real opportunity.

In terms of his future, Jaguars have Trevor Lawrence locked in as a starter for the next decade. They have CJ Beathard as a cheap veteran backup, but he's an unrestricted free agent so the backup job is conceivably wide open next year.

Definitely a reality check for those who thought he was going to go down and compete for meaningful time in the NFL right now as he chose a team that he will have zero chance of starting for barring injury probably ever.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
We just don't get to have/keep nice things.

Oh well. It was inevitable, I guess. Just happened a little sooner than we hoped.

I'll just say that this doesn't mean it's the end. Jacksonville/Doug Pederson only runs 2 QBs and one will be Trevor Lawrence. They're going to sign another guy to compete with Rourke or bring Beathard back to do that. They'll keep a 3rd guy on the practice squad, but it's no guarantee he beats out those other guys. Then it's just a matter of if he lands elsewhere.

Maybe it's like a 10% chance he's back next year.. but I wouldn't put it at 0%.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'll just say that this doesn't mean it's the end. Jacksonville/Doug Pederson only runs 2 QBs and one will be Trevor Lawrence. They're going to sign another guy to compete with Rourke or bring Beathard back to do that. They'll keep a 3rd guy on the practice squad, but it's no guarantee he beats out those other guys. Then it's just a matter of if he lands elsewhere.

Maybe it's like a 10% chance he's back next year.. but I wouldn't put it at 0%.
It’s the backup role Rourke is competing for. Talking about a $700k vs a $140k between 53 man vs PS pay.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Even though we may not have wanted to believe it, I think we all knew he was not coming back this next season. He'll make more on a practice roster than he would in the CFL. Plus it gives him a foot in the door there.

The real question mark for me is whether or not he rides it out for a cpl of seasons or comes back to the CFL after just one season. If he doesn't catch a break and gets into the spot light up there he'll need to play meaningful games. I think we've seen enough QB's rot away because they lost actual game time riding the bench up there.

The real key decision will come down to this time next year, imo.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Guaranteed money isn’t millions. So he would still be cut if doesn’t fare better than the other options in camp or pre season.

Question is whether he opts to remain there more than a year if he’s only on the PS. He’d get more money in the cfl as a starter than PS guy and he’d get playing time to improve.

He’d get double his cfl money as an nfl backup.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Hard not to be at least somewhat happy for him... it kind of sucks we barely got to actually see him play, though. (I was at the game in Ottawa last year so I'm one of the few who did in person!)

Realistically I don't think anyone saw him competing for a starting role next year, so going to a team with an unmovable #1 doesn't seem like an issue for me. The real question is how much of a chance he has at the backup spot, and I gather it's as good there as anywhere else?

Plus the NFL has many famous cases of a starter going down, and the backup emerging as a capable or even star player (these guys were all standouts at their last level), so it's not like he can never get a shot, even behind Lawrence.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hard not to be at least somewhat happy for him... it kind of sucks we barely got to actually see him play, though. (I was at the game in Ottawa last year so I'm one of the few who did in person!)

Realistically I don't think anyone saw him competing for a starting role next year, so going to a team with an unmovable #1 doesn't seem like an issue for me. The real question is how much of a chance he has at the backup spot, and I gather it's as good there as anywhere else?

Plus the NFL has many famous cases of a starter going down, and the backup emerging as a capable or even star player (these guys were all standouts at their last level), so it's not like he can never get a shot, even behind Lawrence.
Lawrence isn’t afraid to run either so never know. Rourke needs to beat out whoever Jax has at camp next season.

But at least they won’t be spending a day 1 or 2 draft pick in a QB with Lawrence as their starter. Increases his odds since they’d have to carry that QB on the Main roster so they’d opt for experience at backup.

But if Rourke does not make a main roster by 2024 season I see him returning to cfl to get in game action sv go 2 full seasons on the PS.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

If I had to guess I think part of it is a prudent nod towards wanting to solidify a job and service time asap to work towards that pension.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Heard the hit with Rourke this morning on SN650. He said that the opportunity to get a real shot at being on the active roster was huge in making his decision, as was working with Doug Pederson. I can’t quite recall the exact details but he also said he spoke with Bo Levi Mitchell about how when he tried his luck, and mentioned Bo had gone down with the intent on starting right away. I can’t confirm that he said that in the context of setting realistic expectations but I think that’s how it was framed. ANYWAY, it is available wherever ya like to pull your podcasts from.

Reactions: m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess Nathan Rourke followed the money, because the Jags don't seem like a great fit for a QB who has designs on a starting job one day. Trevor Lawrence was a high draft pick, and barring injury, will be the starters role indefinitely in Jacksonville.

There are so many NFL teams with serious questions at the QB position, you'd have thought he'd have picked a team with wide open competition for tje starting QB.

But seems apparent the Jags were willing to sign a three year deal with Rourke and probably paid out the most money. We'll se where his career goes from here......but if he spends the entire year with the clipboard on the sidelines, it won't do much for his development.

Reactions: trellaine201

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I guess Nathan Rourke followed the money, because the Jags don't seem like a great fit for a QB who has designs on a starting job one day. Trevor Lawrence was a high draft pick, and barring injury, will be the starters role indefinitely in Jacksonville.

There are so many NFL teams with serious questions at the QB position, you'd have thought he'd have picked a team with wide open competition for tje starting QB.

But seems apparent the Jags were willing to sign a three year deal with Rourke and probably paid out the most money. We'll se where his career goes from here......but if he spends the entire year with the clipboard on the sidelines, it won't do much for his development.

This is because your expectations were too high for Rourke as you had said in the past you thought he was better than a bunch of starters in the NFL. He was never going to walk down there and be a starter.

I've come full circle on this a bit since the signing and I actually like the Jacksonville spot for Rourke. He talked it through very well on the 650 interview and basically said he needed to be realistic and his goal was finding the best spot to have a chance to be the backup. If he goes somewhere without a set starter. it likely means there will be two guys in front of him battling for that job. Then he's left with a very tough path to even get a backup job.

My one caveat is that it's not even the off-season yet. Rourke admitted he hasn't even spoken to Doug Pederson, the Jags coach. They could very go into the off-season and decide they want a legit backup and Rourke is right back to the same spot he was trying to avoid. I do think he's avoided a team that will draft a QB high, at least.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is because your expectations were too high for Rourke as you had said in the past you thought he was better than a bunch of starters in the NFL. He was never going to walk down there and be a starter.

I've come full circle on this a bit since the signing and I actually like the Jacksonville spot for Rourke. He talked it through very well on the 650 interview and basically said he needed to be realistic and his goal was finding the best spot to have a chance to be the backup. If he goes somewhere without a set starter. it likely means there will be two guys in front of him battling for that job. Then he's left with a very tough path to even get a backup job.

My one caveat is that it's not even the off-season yet. Rourke admitted he hasn't even spoken to Doug Pederson, the Jags coach. They could very go into the off-season and decide they want a legit backup and Rourke is right back to the same spot he was trying to avoid. I do think he's avoided a team that will draft a QB high, at least.
Jags got by this season with Mullen the former SF QB who got playing time for pieces of 3 seasons in the year Jimmy arrived at the tdl the following year when Jimmy tore his acl and 2 seasons ago when Jimmy had the ankle injury. Didn’t win many games.

Could Jax look to upgrade with more experience? They could. What Rourke did was secure playing time in pre season to get some film out there for other nfl clubs.

Best of luck to him. Have to be in the right place at the right time. And in a scheme that fits your abilities.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jags got by this season with Mullen the former SF QB who got playing time for pieces of 3 seasons in the year Jimmy arrived at the tdl the following year when Jimmy tore his acl and 2 seasons ago when Jimmy had the ankle injury. Didn’t win many games.

Could Jax look to upgrade with more experience? They could. What Rourke did was secure playing time in pre season to get some film out there for other nfl clubs.

Best of luck to him. Have to be in the right place at the right time. And in a scheme that fits your abilities.

Mullens was with the Vikings, Beathard with the Jags. Both ex-49ers though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Most recently but he was a SF QB and got virtually all of his playing time with them.

Was there a rush or something for Rourke to sign with Jax? I mean not speaking to the HC seems odd for a guy in his position. I know the HC is busy with PO so not sure why this signing could not wait 1-3 weeks.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Most recently but he was a SF QB and got virtually all of his playing time with them.

I was just responding to you saying the Jags got by with Mullens which was incorrect.

Was there a rush or something for Rourke to sign with Jax? I mean not speaking to the HC seems odd for a guy in his position. I know the HC is busy with PO so not sure why this signing could not wait 1-3 weeks.

This is when you typically see futures contracts signed - teams sign free agents, practice squad guys, etc. Plus teams will likely only want 4 QBs for camp so there aren't that many spots. Fairly typical time for guys in his position to sign.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

Outside of the pointless name change, SFU football has gotten more publicity in the past few days than they have over the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille