OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Yeah. I remember looking on google maps to see where the nearest one was and always thinking "do I really want to go all the way out to poco for a burger?"

I think that Swiss Chalet is also pretty much done in BC too, which sorta sucks but on the other hand I can get pouches of chalet sauce mix from the grocery store so that covers most of the reason I had to go in the first place.
it was a total pain in the ass

same with when popeyes rolled out that sandwich that someone got killed waiting in line for down south

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Ugh… tough pill to swallow today but Winnipeg is just the better team.

They gave us multiple chances and we couldn’t capitalize. We got things going at the end but the game management was horrendous.

A few posts up had it right though. Crowds improved, young team got experience, Rourke you have to imagine needs another year to marinate up here, and we have what might be the best owner in the league.

I’m still going to sulk and guzzle some beer now! Was really hoping to see the Lions play “at home” in Pil Country next week!

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It felt like if the team had a few more weeks with Rouke under center they might have performed a little better. He was hurt and/or rusty and the team just didn't seem in sync on offense while facing a very impressive defense. Toss in some missed chances and chaotic special teams play and that's all you need to get run over in the CFL.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Young team. Lots of talent on this BC team, but Winnipeg is just more polished. BC will in a good position with their WR/RB, hopefully Rourke stays so we keep the best offenc
It felt like if the team had a few more weeks with Rouke under center they might have performed a little better. He was hurt and/or rusty and the team just didn't seem in sync on offense while facing a very impressive defense. Toss in some missed chances and chaotic special teams play and that's all you need to get run over in the CFL.
The Bombers RB and O-line controlled the game against our front 7/8. They could run the ball as much as they wanted, we didn't have big enough Defensive Linemen. Need at least one or two big (290-350 lbs) guys in the middle to clog it up.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Great season guys. This Lions team was super exciting. It's really too bad Rourke was so injured for the game last night. It's clear he was nowhere near healthy and it really hurt the Lions. A healthy Rourke completely changes the look of that game.

Rourke is likely NFL bound, but if he isn't it's going to be a fun year next year for you guys. If Rourke is back and healthy BC will likely be pre-season favourites for the Grey Cup, maybe even above the Bombers. Have a good one, even though I know you guys will be probably be cheering against the Bombers in the Grey Cup, hope it's a good game for CFL fans. Still feels odd to me to have the Bombers be a good team, almost my entire life the Bombers have been pretty much terrible with my life mostly overlapping that 29 year drought.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It was a tough game to watch -- can't say I enjoy cold-weather football that much. If the Lions were just able to hang onto balls a little better they could absolutely have pulled off the upset, even with Rourke not at his best. Shame about the clock management at the end, or else it could have been a wild finish.

Happy for Winnipeg to three-peat after patiently waiting 30 years...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see Nathan Rourke will soon start auditioning with NFL teams. Not a surprise really. He's still only 24, an age where most pro QB's are only coming out of college. And in a league desperate for quality QB's, they're going to look at just about anybody.

Hard to say where this all goes. But although Rourke might make more money sitting on an NFL practice squad somewhere, at this point in his career he really needs to play.

Still think there's a decent chance he's back in the CFL. But I suppose it's one of the reasons the Leos overloaded their negotiation list with QB's. Not sure they're sold on Vernon Adams who's a UFA this off-season anyway.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I see Nathan Rourke will soon start auditioning with NFL teams. Not a surprise really. He's still only 24, an age where most pro QB's are only coming out of college. And in a league desperate for quality QB's, they're going to look at just about anybody.

Hard to say where this all goes. But although Rourke might make more money sitting on an NFL practice squad somewhere, at this point in his career he really needs to play.

Still think there's a decent chance he's back in the CFL. But I suppose it's one of the reasons the Leos overloaded their negotiation list with QB's. Not sure they're sold on Vernon Adams who's a UFA this off-season anyway.
He’ll be back in the CFL. He may indeed take the $ to sit on a taxi squad for a year and learn, and why not, but you’re right, ultimately he’ll want to PLAY.
He’s good, but Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, or Doug Flutie good? I don’t see it. I’d love to be wrong.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

I can definitely see him riding out a year on the practice squad. He'll earn just under $210K USD doing that. I'll be surprised to see him back next season. After that year he'll need to start playing again so I then see him coming back to the CFL and signing a bid contract to be some teams Franchise player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can definitely see him riding out a year on the practice squad. He'll earn just under $210K USD doing that. I'll be surprised to see him back next season. After that year he'll need to start playing again so I then see him coming back to the CFL and signing a bid contract to be some teams Franchise player.
He’d qualify for $11.5K per week. So $207k usd for the year which is like $280K CAD.

NFL teams have a 53 man roster and a 16 player PS. Teams like to only carry 2 QB on the main roster with another QB on the PS.

Nfl teams also typically only carry 1 young QB on the main roster.

The teams that carry 3QBs on the main roster are because the backup is a young guy but isn’t ready to step in and play if the starter gets hurt so they keep a veteran around on the main roster and that guy is the dressed backup most of the time.

So for Rourke to make the main roster he’d have to really impress a team enough to warrant keeping him on the main roster vs going on the PS. As of the QB situation today there’s really like 12-15 teams he should sign with to have a shot of being on a 53 man roster. Has to be a team that doesn’t have a young backup or a young starter who is still figuring things out. Burrow and Herbert have figured it out for instance.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He’d qualify for $11.5K per week. So $207k usd for the year which is like $280K CAD.

NFL teams have a 53 man roster and a 16 player PS. Teams like to only carry 2 QB on the main roster with another QB on the PS.

Nfl teams also typically only carry 1 young QB on the main roster.

The teams that carry 3QBs on the main roster are because the backup is a young guy but isn’t ready to step in and play if the starter gets hurt so they keep a veteran around on the main roster and that guy is the dressed backup most of the time.

So for Rourke to make the main roster he’d have to really impress a team enough to warrant keeping him on the main roster vs going on the PS. As of the QB situation today there’s really like 12-15 teams he should sign with to have a shot of being on a 53 man roster. Has to be a team that doesn’t have a young backup or a young starter who is still figuring things out. Burrow and Herbert have figured it out for instance.

Well, like I said, he'll earn just under $210K USD. I'd be surprised if he turns down a spot if offered one. He's far too young to be content just being a CFL player. He no doubt has his eyes on bigger money. Again, I'd be surprised to see him back next season if there is an offer from the NFL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, like I said, he'll earn just under $210K USD. I'd be surprised if he turns down a spot if offered one. He's far too young to be content just being a CFL player. He no doubt has his eyes on bigger money. Again, I'd be surprised to see him back next season if there is an offer from the NFL.
Being realistic it’s an uphill climb for him. He’d have to blow teams away in camp and pre season. This is a deep class of QBs. Teams are more likely to keep a round 2-4 QB that they draft ahead of a UDFA like Rourke on the main roster. He’s most likely to end up on a PS.

And the draft is after free agency. So the team that signs him could also draft a qb afterwards.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess Burnham is heading back home to Tulsa, where he has plans to finish a Masters degree and then a post-football career.

But I really hope he finds a way to say connected with the game......seems to me he'd be great head coaching material some day.....a real student of the game.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
One of the greatest CFL receivers of all time is retiring.

Go in Twitter and thank him. I saw Travis Lulay just did. #ThankYouBurnham

I love the background story for how he joined the Lions. It’s a nice reminder how much of life is about being lucky/ready enough for opportunity to find you, and how much untapped potential greatness is out there that we don’t even know about.

(Same deal with Alex Burrows, and even to an extent Dominik Hašek).

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Well, it was nice for the half season that it lasted.

Sick of sports in this city. The Lions lose another one and like my dad I'm going to die before the Canucks ever win a cup.

I despise the NFL.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since the Canucks started tanking again, I've watched a few more NFL games than usual......and my take is that there's really a lot of bad QB's down there, who are being thrust into starters roles. Can't believe that Rourke wouldn't be an upgrade on a lot of the guys I've seen.

And a team that should be interested is the NFL team just down the I-5 in Seattle. Gino Smith is 33 and heading into free agency......can't believe they wouldn't want Rourke to at least work out for them.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Rourke isn't going to be pushed into a starter job in the NFL and probably not even into a competition. His best scenario is a team that has an established vet starter and he can compete for a backup spot/practice squad gig with guys who've bounced around the league. Minnesota behind Kirk Cousins is kind of the ideal spot. I like Seattle as well if Geno is back, though I could see them possibly drafting someone.

You want a team that doesn't have a young starter in place or isn't going to draft someone in the first 3 rounds.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Rourke isn't going to be pushed into a starter job in the NFL and probably not even into a competition. His best scenario is a team that has an established vet starter and he can compete for a backup spot/practice squad gig with guys who've bounced around the league. Minnesota behind Kirk Cousins is kind of the ideal spot. I like Seattle as well if Geno is back, though I could see them possibly drafting someone.

You want a team that doesn't have a young starter in place or isn't going to draft someone in the first 3 rounds.
Rational comment. But I despise the fact that the Lions are a farm team for the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad