OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We flew out from Winnipeg for this game. We had a great time despite the Bombers loss (didn't mean anything anyways for Bombers). Lions fans were really friendly, we had a great time in the gorgeous stadium, at the pre-game tailgate and spent a few days exploring downtown, North Vancouver, and Granville Island. Great weather on the weekend as well, it was -6 when we returned to Winnipeg late last night haha. Can't wait until we go back.

For the football I'm hoping you guys beat up on Calgary in the West Semi and the Lions come out to WInnipeg on Nov 13. Should be a great time. I really like that new owner the Lions have, I think he will rejuvenate this franchise in BC. There was a solid crowd there on Saturday.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
That's one of the underrated things about the CFL.....fans root for their team, but they're also fans of the Canadian game......and greet each other like old friends at tail-gate parties and in Grey Cup week.

Contrast that to the die-hards south of border who get into brawls and hurling insults to the fans of other teams. It can get ugly at times.....and 'mixed' tailgate parties? Not without having the riot police in body armor standing by.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Because obviously all information is immediately available ( 🙃 ) do you have any clue if they’re planning/hoping to open the upper deck?

I don't know but I hope so. Last home game sold out the lower bowl so if they market it right, and start talking about it now, the hype should build like it did for the season opener. I mentioned it in a tweet and the Lions account liked it so who knows if that means anything. I know more than a few people that prefer to sit up there.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
We flew out from Winnipeg for this game. We had a great time despite the Bombers loss (didn't mean anything anyways for Bombers). Lions fans were really friendly, we had a great time in the gorgeous stadium, at the pre-game tailgate and spent a few days exploring downtown, North Vancouver, and Granville Island. Great weather on the weekend as well, it was -6 when we returned to Winnipeg late last night haha. Can't wait until we go back.

For the football I'm hoping you guys beat up on Calgary in the West Semi and the Lions come out to WInnipeg on Nov 13. Should be a great time. I really like that new owner the Lions have, I think he will rejuvenate this franchise in BC. There was a solid crowd there on Saturday.
Interesting.......I'll be flying out to Winnipeg next week for the Lions game. :). I'm so stoked because I haven't visited Winnipeg before. Also, once I see this game, I will have seen a BC Lions Football game in every single CFL stadium (including our Grey Cup wins from 1994 and 1999 respectively).

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Interesting.......I'll be flying out to Winnipeg next week for the Lions game. :). I'm so stoked because I haven't visited Winnipeg before. Also, once I see this game, I will have seen a BC Lions Football game in every single CFL stadium (including our Grey Cup wins from 1994 and 1999 respectively).
you’re…stoked to visit winnipeg

1666417860397.gif

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Winnipeg has nothing much to offer for someone from Vancouver hahaha. We have a solid underground arts scene, but it's basically impossible to really visit. The best we have to offer for like a touristy site is probably the Forks, but like when I was in Granville Isle shops last weekend I realized how poor that compares lol. Hope you enjoy your stay though!

But we are very welcoming overall. Friendly Manitoba is our slogan after all. However at Bomber games it can get a bit rough for away fans so I've heard. We have a great party section near the Rum Hut, greatest thing we have going at Bomber games is that it's a party for sure.

I love your goal, my and the wife have the same goal. We've so far seen Labour Day 2018 (WPG at SSK), Grey Cup 2019 (Bombers v Ti-Cats but at Calgary), and now BC last weekend for 2022. Plan is for now to hit up Edmonton in 2023 (my brother lives there so it'll be cheap) and to hit the east over 2024-2027 to get every stadium.

If you want DM me and I'll buy you a beer (or snacks whatever I love meeting people) at the game. I swear Manitoba is super friendly even if you catch a bit of flack at the game haha.

you’re…stoked to visit winnipeg

View attachment 597393

As someone from Winnipeg...I echo this statement ;)

Last edited:

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Winnipeg has nothing much to offer for someone from Vancouver hahaha. We have a solid underground arts scene, but it's basically impossible to really visit. The best we have to offer for like a touristy site is probably the Forks, but like when I was in Granville Isle shops last weekend I realized how poor that compares lol. Hope you enjoy your stay though!

But we are very welcoming overall. Friendly Manitoba is our slogan after all. However at Bomber games it can get a bit rough for away fans so I've heard. We have a great party section near the Rum Hut, greatest thing we have going at Bomber games is that it's a party for sure.

I love your goal, my and the wife have the same goal. We've so far seen Labour Day 2018 (WPG at SSK), Grey Cup 2019 (Bombers v Ti-Cats but at Calgary), and now BC last weekend for 2022. Plan is for now to hit up Edmonton in 2023 (my brother lives there so it'll be cheap) and to hit the east over 2024-2027 to get every stadium.

If you want DM me and I'll buy you a beer (or snacks whatever I love meeting people) at the game. I swear Manitoba is super friendly even if you catch a bit of flack at the game haha.

As someone from Winnipeg...I echo this statement ;)
Haha, thanks man, will do! :m-dance:

I'll be the guy wearing my bright orange BC Lions Cowboy hat.

On a personal note, I watched Lions/Eskimos on TV yesterday and you know what I realized? It was fun......and peaceful. If the Leo's won, great! If the Leo's had lost, it would have had no effect on me whatsoever. No negative fans, no post game analysis amongst corrupt media, nothing.

Even at BC Place Stadium when we have home games, people are just there to have a good time and people are rarely affected by losses. Seattle Seahawks, Portland Trailblazers, and Toronto Blue Jays. When watching games, I have this mindset of being grateful for being there in the moment and am not particularly bothered when we lose.

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that I don't think I ever fully got over the 2011 cup loss the Canucks had all those years ago. Outside of a few positive moments (2012 Presidents Trophy, 2015 and 2020 overachievement), I've come to the realization that this is no longer fun. Losses have become too stressful for me and it's just jarring to be surrounded by constant negativity amongst media and fans.

After tonight's game, I'm thinking of taking a break from the NHL and the Canucks. Now granted, this could only last a few days (i.e. Canucks win tonight I jump back on the bandwagon), for right now, this just isn't fun anymore. As a fan, I was able to survive the 80's Canucks, the awful Messier era, the dreaded 05-06 season in which we saw the fall of the WCE (I almost quit hockey this year but the Luongo deal occurred), and now, this latest stretch from 2015-2022 where god awful decisions prevented us from taking the next step after the 2020 bubble.

This site is really cool and lots of great people that I'd like to get to know better if the conversation steers away from hockey. Hope to take part in one of the Fantasy Drafts on this site somewhere down the road.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I keep thinking about that Fountain Tire ad where the the bald headed extra gets his Hawaii and Winnipeg tickets mixed up, and the tag line is 'Go'in to Winnipeg'.

Probably the best time to hit 'Winterpe'g ins now.....after Nov. 1st all bets are off. If the Lions end up back at Progressive Field in the 'Peg for the Western Final later in November, things could get ugly.

You have to marvel at the legendary Bud Grant who did most of his HOF coaching on the sidelines in Winnipeg and Minnestoa. They made the coaches tough in those days.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I keep thinking about that Fountain Tire ad where the the bald headed extra gets his Hawaii and Winnipeg tickets mixed up, and the tag line is 'Go'in to Winnipeg'.

Probably the best time to hit 'Winterpe'g ins now.....after Nov. 1st all bets are off. If the Lions end up back at Progressive Field in the 'Peg for the Western Final later in November, things could get ugly.

You have to marvel at the legendary Bud Grant who did most of his HOF coaching on the sidelines in Winnipeg and Minnestoa. They made the coaches tough in those days.
Jebus, didn't realize until now Bud Grant also won a NBA championship..................as a player!

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle

Lol exactly (with regards to the temperature). I'm keeping a close eye on it and it doesn't seem like it will be too bad (pre-November, Oct 28). ps - Was Bud Grant around in 88' when the Leo's played the Bombers in those finals? I think this was when we had Matt Dunnigan. We lost to the Bombes that year.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

You're a little too respectful for an opposing fan. Have you lost your way?

That is very impressive. I envy the hell out of you.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Happy to be wrong about Rourke, thought there was no chance he would be back. Hopefully they are making the right long-term decision and he isn't being rushed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Happy to be wrong about Rourke, thought there was no chance he would be back. Hopefully they are making the right long-term decision and he isn't being rushed.
Interesting fact. Every CFL team has a negotiation list, which gives them exclusive rights to players graduating from U.S. Colleges or are on NFL practice rosters. The Leos have a total of 10 QB's on their Neg List. They're covering all their bases at football's most important position.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Interesting fact. Every CFL team has a negotiation list, which gives them exclusive rights to players graduating from U.S. Colleges or are on NFL practice rosters. The Leos have a total of 10 QB's on their Neg List. They're covering all their bases at football's most important position.

The strategy each team uses is really interesting to me. BC sure is going all-in at QB. A few familiar NFL names on the league list overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad