Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Regarding the CHL import draft tomorrow...
-Alberg was released by the Attack earlier this week.
-Sushko and Seider are on the 'frozen' list.
-DeGray intends to use both selections in tomorrow's import draft and, if things go as planned, expects both players to be in Owen Sound this fall (will not draft a goalie).

Attack set for Thursday's CHL Import Draft

Reactions: AttackSound

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
-DeGray intends to use both selections in tomorrow's import draft and, if things go as planned, expects both players to be in Owen Sound this fall (will not draft a goalie).

As someone who had hoped Alberg could've been more, it's a sad end to get an after-the-fact reported release.

As for the imports, glad we won't have to wait long to see who the team is going after. I predict we'll see both picks being forwards, one an 01 birthdate and the other an 02.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
just from tweets ive come across over the past few days... it will either be AHL or Owen Sound... wont know until September sometime

Those aren't his only options.

He holds all the cards until he signs. The only thing Detroit can do is influence but if Seider wanted to go back home and play in the DEL league, he will.

He played for a team that runs a very strict fitness program which is a major reason he wanted to play for them. The DEL League is no slouch and top minutes in that league would do his development wonders.

It makes no sense at all to take him from a league where he was one of the best defenders in the league, playing against men like John Mitchell, Matt Stajan, Ben Smith, Jason Akeson, Ryan Jones to name a few, players who have had decorated NHL careers, night in and night out and have him come play in a league with 16 year old players who haven't even hit their physical peak.

He's facing a ton of former NHL And top AHL talent over their, playing for an athletic freak, in a top notch facility.

He's not coming.

I said it before the draft and Ill say it again, The player holds the cards here. He can work it into his ELC that if he sign's his ELC, that he can't be sent to junior. Players have done this before. Tyson Jost of recent. Someone that I talked to has said that he would be scheduled to make around 96,000-120,000 EURO which is around 150-170 thousand in CAD.

He was playing top line minutes and honestly their is nothing the CHL will teach him that he doesn't already know.

It's time to move on.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

With this being confirmed that Maksim and Manuel moving on. The import draft will be filled with lots of anticipation from an Attack fan standpoint at 26th and 86th selections in tomorrow's selection. Management has always believed that drafting a tender in the import draft would be a bigger gamble than selecting a skater, I'd expect nothing less than seeing managment take two skaters.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Officially this season will be the 30th played in Owen Sound among the Attack and Platers.

With 3 decades played in the Ontario Hockey League between the Central and Midwest divisions, it has be quite and accomplishment to celebrate 3 decades. This coming season would be a great season to see recognition banners to some very special and specific members of the Attack organization past and present.

As a fan I believe it would be appropriate to recognize these few key members of the OHL community.

Players

Wayne Primeau (Platers 1992-96)
Brent Johnson (Platers 1994-97)
Adam Mair (Platers 1995-99)
Curtis Sanford (1995-00)
Joel Ward (1997-01)

Organization

Ray MacKelvie (1989-present)

The players are self-explanatory to their playing years in Owen Sound, although without the current contributions of Mr. Ray MacKelvie spending the past 3 decades connected to the Attack and Platers organization in one way shape or another is the man who deserves the most recognition this coming season in the OHL as his years of continued service.

Remember the past embrace the future.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Per Fred Wallace, the Attack are to announce a Free Agent signing with connections to Europe before the weekend.

Interesting? Maybe some traction from the NHL draft to attract a top flight import to report to the Sound next season? Or could be nothing?

Always believed the Import Draft is a shot in the dark for most teams around the CHL not because of the talent but the release fee European teams dangle on CHL clubs for good quality imports.

11 a.m. will tell the tale...

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Stepan Machacek at eliteprospects.com

Machacek is the first player picked by the Attack. Finished tied for 20th among U17 players in the Czech junior league, but did play on their U17 national team last winter.

He's a centre, but the numbers relative to his peers make him a total wildcard.

Julian Straub at eliteprospects.com

Straub is the second pick. Good size, late 01 birthday makes him 2020 eligible. Played for Füssen, which at both junior and senior levels is very far down the German ladder. No major international experience.

So first impressions? Guessed the birth years correctly, but everything else about these guys leave a lot to the imagination. we'll just have to see come Rookie Camp.

Last edited:

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack take Stepan Machacek in the import draft 25th overall last season saw Stepan have 9 goals 18 assists 27 points in 44 tilts in the Czech U19 league being the 8th ranked player on HC Ocelari Trinec U19's.

While 2nd round import pick Julian Straub 86th overall out of Germany. Julian had 32 tallies and 38 helpers 70 points in 35 matches for EV Fussen U20's.

Tick...Tock... till training camp

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Interesting to note: Manuel Alberg was selected by the Moncton Wildcats in the second round.

Not the first import to be re-selected by a CHL club same was said a few seasons ago with Albert Michnac of the Mississauga Steelheads who was originally selected by the Guelph Storm then released by the Storm and re-selected by Mississauga last year in the import draft.

Also to note the OHL and QMJHL are well-known of having open ties to one another when it comes to waiving players from either league. Last year in the Q saw Dylan Seitz former Kitchener Ranger play for the Moncton Wildcats of the Q while former Owen Sound Attack prospect Cayse Ton suited up for the Charlottetown Islanders for the 2017-18 season, to also note Jack Flinn started on the Q with Sherbrooke Phoenix before making stops in Owen Sound and Mississauga between 2012-16.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
FWIW, here's a bit of a report on Stepan Machacek from the last U17 World Hockey Challenge.

Two prospects that exceeded our expectations instead were Marek Blaha and Stepan Machacek. The latter in particular was not even on our radar last season and as a late 2002-born is a 2021 draft eligible forward. He probably will never excel at putting pucks into the net, but he showed interesting skills that we think give him a chance to develop into a legit supporting-cast type of player at the next level.

RECAP: Czech Republic, Sweden, Finland and Russia at the U17 World...

Last edited:

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
A free agent signing on the horizon certainly raises some eyebrows on who the Attack management has found.

To further that OS has had good success on turning long shots into players over the years and with a free agent signing could be a diamond in the rough that was passed over in the past drafts or missed there draft. Geffory Schemitsch is one that comes to mind.

Reactions: Millpond

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
TRADE ALERT: Attack acquire Nizhnikov from Wolves – Owen Sound Attack

Appears management has made a bit of a splash in the trade front early this year.

The 19 yo might be a big steal for the Attack this year, after having a good year in Sudbury, where he tallied 12 points in 20 games. In the last 2 and a half seasons KN had 26 goals and 40 helpers spread across spread across 2 and a half seasons between Barrie and Sudbury.

IMO, I think this is a good fit skill and production wise moving forward after dealing off some top guys at the deadline last year. KN could and will probably be a top-6 forward this season for the team.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
4th OHL team now, Mississauga, Barrie, Sudbury and Owen Sound, he has talent but its all about himself, doesn't care about the team he plays with. Hopefully he has matured and shows some stability.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Another '00 forward? We have a glut of those already--i.e., Dudas, Kirwin, McMaster, Popov, Groulx, Pearson. Those guys are the top-6 F's, if Nizhnikov is going to figure in there, he's going to have to earn if from one of those guys. At this point I see him as a top-9.

It's no secret on here that we have zero '02 forwards and only 2 '01s (Wilson, Caruk). DD acknowledged in his interview with Fred yesterday that we need 2002 forwards, so I'm surprised that we traded for another 2000.

Maybe this is a precursor for another move?With Goure and Burroughs signing, the two new imports, the Nizhnikov trade and reportedly a FA forward signing to come, it's getting pretty crowded at the forward position.

Last edited:

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Another '00 forward? We have a glut of those already--i.e., Dudas, Kirwin, McMaster, Popov, Groulx, Pearson. Those guys are the top-6 F's, if Nizhnikov is going to figure in there, he's going to have to earn if from one of those guys. At this point I see him as a top-9.

It's no secret on here that we have zero '02 forwards and only 2 '01s (Wilson, Caruk). DD acknowledged in his interview with Fred yesterday that we need 2002 forwards, so I'm surprised that we traded for another 2000.

Maybe this is a precursor for another move?With Goure and Burroughs signing, the two new imports, the Nizhnikov trade and reportedly a FA forward signing to come, it's getting pretty crowded at the forward position.

One of Doherty and Robinson are gone after this move.

I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. This is a guy that quit on his team part way through the season. Been traded a number of times. Is he what this team needs?

I hope he has a good head on his shoulder now.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Cowan saying the Attack still have a free agent signing in the works.Done Josh Symanski, 6'3" centre, 2002 born . Dad's Canadian, he is German born .

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Certainly loads the the forward depth chart.

Now with what's coming in and returning

RW

KN
Groulx
Robinson
Pearson
Burroughs

C

Samanski
Caruk
Kirwin
MacMaster
Wilson
Dudas
Goure

LW

Doherty
Popov

D

Robertson
Chibrikov
Seed
Perrott
Woolley
Lyle

G

Guzda
MacLean

*Keep in mind that's just signed and returning guys along with the trade as of today*

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
One of Doherty and Robinson are gone after this move.

I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. This is a guy that quit on his team part way through the season. Been traded a number of times. Is he what this team needs?

I hope he has a good head on his shoulder now.

My feelings he will do more harm than good. However, hoping it works out for team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad