Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Kaleb Lawrance seems to be lighting it up at the U17s through two games. 6'5" with his skill set makes for an awfully interesting package. I'd love to see him have a strong OHL camp and crack the roster.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I did listen to Dale's interview with Fred and if you caught the subtle message Dale gave Fred it all hinges on if Dale could make traction on Detroit's intentions on where Seider will play next season. In no way shape or form did Dale indicate Seider was coming just said he was talk with the Red Wings and see where the talks shook out.

I strongly believe the reason Dale took 2 imports was simply because he knew Seider wasn't coming.

Teams always always always take an import if they have an available pick. Why wouldn't they? I don't understand your thought process.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Teams always always always take an import if they have an available pick. Why wouldn't they? I don't understand your thought process.

The thought process is simple Seider isn't coming to the OHL, so Attack brass moved on plain and simple. No manager in the whole CHL is going to drag their feet in waiting on a player to report when there are kids who will.

Especially imports plain and simple.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
The thought process is simple Seider isn't coming to the OHL, so Attack brass moved on plain and simple. No manager in the whole CHL is going to drag their feet in waiting on a player to report when there are kids who will.

But London took a 2 players last year when they knew they were still getting the third from Chicago, because there was no negative to selecting him. I believe Moncton did this year as well with Alberg. We understand that you don't believe that he's coming and for the most part we agree, your reasoning bares no logic, teams always take 2 players regardless, as witnessed by the two examples I just gave.

If you have another reason to suggest that the management team has moved on, then I think we are all ears, but if them taking two imports is your evidence that they 'have moved on', then the examples of both Moncton and London contradict things.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
No manager in the whole CHL is going to drag their feet in waiting on a player to report when there are kids who will.
Managers do this every year. That's why there are so many drafted players that don't report (both import and domestic).

But as everyone has already said, selecting in the import draft doesn't mean moving on from your NHL drafted pick. In this case, teams can have their cake and eat it too.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
But London took a 2 players last year when they knew they were still getting the third from Chicago, because there was no negative to selecting him. I believe Moncton did this year as well with Alberg. We understand that you don't believe that he's coming and for the most part we agree, your reasoning bares no logic, teams always take 2 players regardless, as witnessed by the two examples I just gave.

If you have another reason to suggest that the management team has moved on, then I think we are all ears, but if them taking two imports is your evidence that they 'have moved on', then the examples of both Moncton and London contradict things.

Owen Sound is and never will be London we all can agree on that.

My reasoning is simple why would managers of smaller market teams sit on their hands waiting for decisions by players who are on the fence of reporting this situation already happened once already with Barnes not reporting to OS 2 seasons ago.

If managers sat on the philosophy then there would be more teams in the CHL that would miss the post-season waiting and hoping for players who may never come.

In this case Attack brass knew going into the draft that Seider would a pipedream to show up, and has since moved on with what looks to be a bit more interesting import prospects.

When Dale was asked about Seider and the import draft he clearly stated he would be selecting 2 selections and never really answered the question but turned into looking ahead to next season and the young promise the team will have.

This would indicate that managment has moved forward with what is coming in next season and not going to play the sit and wait game for a player who will likely be a no show.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Owen Sound is and never will be London we all can agree on that.

My reasoning is simple why would managers of smaller market teams sit on their hands waiting for decisions by players who are on the fence of reporting this situation already happened once already with Barnes not reporting to OS 2 seasons ago.

You haven't aptly described how they would be waiting on their hands thou, that's why we are all questioning your posts. Dale is smartly using all the cards that he has. He can draft two players and when and if the time comes, all they need to do is release one. Drafting the second import is a security blanket, it has nothing to do with Seider.

When Dale was asked about Seider and the import draft he clearly stated he would be selecting 2 selections and never really answered the question but turned into looking ahead to next season and the young promise the team will have.

This would indicate that managment has moved forward with what is coming in next season and not going to play the sit and wait game for a player who will likely be a no show.

But one has nothing to do with the other, that's what we are all trying to tell you. Drafting two imports still allows them to move forward with two, while holding out hope that perhaps they get lucky and Seider gets sent to Owen Sound in October. They are operating and preparing as if he's not coming, because they are extended the opportunity to to do so while covering themselves, that's all.

You suggesting that they 'have moved on' suggest they basically have released Seider's rights. All Dale is doing is maximizing his assets and giving the Attack the security blanket just incase Seider isn't assigned here. Odds are significant that he is not coming, but that doesn't mean they've 'moved on', it just means its out of their hands and they are covering themselves. That's all.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

They didn't move on. They have kept their options open and will do so until the very end.

Teams drag their feet on players all of the time. The Greyhounds, for example, waited half of a season for Rasmus Kupari and he ended up not coming. They waited another half of a season for Jaromir Pytlik and he did come.

Teams will always make sacrifices if it means a chance at getting an elite player, including Owen Sound. Luckily in this case no sacrifices were needed. DeGray took a second import knowing full well he would be released if Seider reports.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
When he signed with Detroit, it actually increased the chances that Seider would report to Owen Sound. Why? Because now Detroit has a lot of sway in the decision and so the destination might change. Will Detroit choose Owen Sound for Seider? Maybe not. But if Detroit determines that Seider needs to maximize his ice time and play all situations while getting accustomed to smaller rinks, then perhaps they decide that Owen Sound is best for his development.

https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-seider-2019-20-team/

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

Yes, alot....

This actually helps Owen Sound, it gives Detroit the absolute say in where he goes, it almost puts Germany out of the picture and makes it the AHL vs Owen Sound, instead of AHL vs Germany vs Owen Sound. Dale told us at the BBQ that Seider has said he's open to playing wherever his NHL team tells him to play, so now Detroit controls the process.

As well all continue to say and you haven't really pushed back against, all Dale is doing is protecting himself and making sure that there are two imports on the roster, thats all. Odds are significantly against Seider, but that doesn't mean the 'book is closed', Dale isn't saying no if the Red Wings call him and say 'Do you want him'

Last edited:
Reactions: PensFan101

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
The Knights did the same thing this year and their kid is signed. If Boqvist is sent back again by the Hawks he will be shipped out via waiver wire like Kolychuk last year to Flint. 2 years ago the Knights had none when Boqvist didn't come over and Jespar Bratt made the Devils and left a huge hole that ended them up selling Thomas, Jones ,Pu and Militec. It is a very smart move by Degray to cover his butt in case the Seider player goes elsewhere.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Jesus christ. This is getting out of hand.

Moritz Seider isn't coming to play in Owen Sound.

He won't be skating in the OHL period. It doesn't matter what London Soo or anyone else did in their draft.

Signing with Detroit did not increase the chances.

He didn't sign with Detroit giving up his projected (95-140k) salary in Germany to come to the Ontario Hockey League and make pennies to the $$$. More and more players these days outside of the OHL are putting reassignment clauses in their contracts ALA Tyson Jost, Clayton Keller.

Jeff Marek said a few weeks back on a podcast or radio that the guys he has talked too in Detroits management and scouting team place a ton of value into the DEL League and the coaches from his team and would have no issues with him playing another season over their if they feel he's not ready for the AHL.

If Mortiz Seider was going to come, he would have came by now. How many imports decide a year after being drafted that they all of a sudden want to play in the CHL? Betting that number is low near invisible.

The OHL offers him nothing. If playing on North American ice was as big of an adjustment as fans make it out to be more European players would be coming over instead of staying home.

The DEL league is an incredible league. Teams are flooded with ex NHLers . He ain't coming from a league where he was shutting down Matt Stajan John Mitchell Ben Smith and plenty others to a league where he's shutting down 16,17 and 18 year olds. Most of whom would be lucky to latch on in a league like the DEL when their junior days are over..

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Kaleb Lawrance seems to be lighting it up at the U17s through two games. 6'5" with his skill set makes for an awfully interesting package. I'd love to see him have a strong OHL camp and crack the roster.
Enough on the Seider situation I'm focusing on what I know as fact. I remember Dale saying at the draft that Kaleb Lawrence was a bit under the radar as he was growing into his body. Judging by his performance at the U17's is he figuring it out? 3gms isn't a decision maker by any means but he is competing against the best of his age group and WOW.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Training Camp less than a month away... I'm seeing a log jam with the Forward group heading into training camp. With six Dmen committed, I do think we need to add at least one more. A move for a Goaltender should be made before the end of camp.

Forwards; 17 players currently in this group. The Attack normally carry 13 heading into the season. Obviously moves will need to be made.
99/Robinson - property
00/Doherty - property
00/Dudas - property
00/Groulx - property
00/Kirwin - property
00/McMaster - property
00/Nizhnikov - property
00/Pearson - property
00/Popov - property
01/Caruk - property
01/Straub - drafted Import
01/Wilson - property
02/Samanski - signed
02/Machasek - drafted Import
03/Burroughs - signed
03/Goure - signed
03/Lawrence - possible signing

Defence; 6 players currently in this group. The Attack normally carry 7 heading into the season.
99/Lyle
00/Robertson
01/Chibrikov
01/Parrott
01/Woolley
02/Seed

Goalies; 2 players currently in this group. Will the Attack keep two 01's going into the season?
01/Guzda
01/MacLean

Last edited:

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Training Camp less than a month away... I'm seeing a log jam with the Forward group heading into training camp. With six Dmen committed, I do think we need to add at least one more. A move for a Goaltender should be made before the end of camp.

Forwards; 17 players currently in this group. The Attack normally carry 12 heading into the season. Obviously moves will need to be made.
99/Robinson - property
00/Doherty - property
00/Dudas - property
00/Groulx - property
00/Kirwin - property
00/McMaster - property
00/Nizhnikov - signed
00/Pearson - property
00/Popov - property
01/Caruk - property
01/Straub - drafted Import
01/Wilson - property
02/Samanski - signed
02/Machasek - drafted Import
03/Burroughs - signed
03/Goure - signed
03/Lawrence - possible signing

Defence; 6 players currently in this group. The Attack normally carry 7 heading into the season.
99/Lyle
00/Robertson
01/Chibrikov
01/Parrott
01/Woolley
02/Seed

Goalies; 2 players currently in this group. Will the Attack keep two 01's going into the season?
01/Guzda
01/MacLean

Nizhnikov was traded for not signed as you're suggesting, in this case KN would be Attack property regardless if he plays a game or not next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->