Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
I remember a few years back reading in the months leading up to the draft that Niz and Popov were good buddies. Some mocks had them going to the same team because of it.

If that’s true, I’m all for them rekindling the bromance with it hopefully leading to some better than expected on-ice results

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Certainly loads the the forward depth chart.

Now with what's coming in and returning

RW

KN
Groulx
Robinson
Pearson

C

Samanski
Caruk
Kirwin
MacMaster
Wilson
Dudas

LW

Doherty
Popov

D

Robertson
Chibrikov
Seed
Perrott
Woolley
Lyle

G

Guzda
MacLean

*Keep in mind that's just signed and returning guys along with the trade as of today*
Dont forget Goure and Burroughs

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I remember a few years back reading in the months leading up to the draft that Niz and Popov were good buddies. Some mocks had them going to the same team because of it.

If that’s true, I’m all for them rekindling the bromance with it hopefully leading to some better than expected on-ice results

Not the first time OS has made a deal for a player who had a strong connection to a current member of the team.

Seem to recall that the season Dale dealt Schumacher to the Greyhounds for Daniel Catenacci one of the reasons why the Cat ended up coming to the Sound was because he was good friends with Daniel Zweep.

No surprise a similar thing happened here that Popov and Nizzy are good friends with each other and that chemistry between the two of them should help result good chemistry on the ice this season.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Good morning Attack. Greetings from the UK.
I have a keen interest on the Euros that play in the CHL, so wonder if you could help me out with some info....

Maxim Shushko; Has his time in the OHL expired, or will he be returning for this season?
What was he like?
I remember reading about his rookie campaign and seeing his numbers and thinking "wow!"
Did he tail off production wise in his next year, was he injured etc?

What about Popov?
Could you tell me a little about his game?
Could he break through this year?

Nizhnikov was/ is deemed a fantastic talent, with speed and skill.
In Barrie he was a bit too young, but did expect a better output in Sudbury.
2 years ago he was projected as a potential 1st rounder, before gradually disappearing off the radar.....
Anyone know what happened?

What are the OSA fans thoughts.
Have a great day everyone!

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Certainly loads the the forward depth chart.

Now with what's coming in and returning

RW

KN
Groulx
Robinson
Pearson
Burroughs

C

Samanski
Caruk
Kirwin
MacMaster
Wilson
Dudas
Goure
Machecek

LW

Doherty
Popov
Straub

D

Robertson
Chibrikov
Seed
Perrott
Woolley
Lyle
I suspect a 16 yr old dman added for depth
Seider???? Remote possibility

G

Guzda
MacLean

I am pretty sure 2 or 3 forwards won't be in the lineup mid September.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Good morning Attack. Greetings from the UK.
I have a keen interest on the Euros that play in the CHL, so wonder if you could help me out with some info....

Maxim Shushko; Has his time in the OHL expired, or will he be returning for this season?
What was he like?
I remember reading about his rookie campaign and seeing his numbers and thinking "wow!"
Did he tail off production wise in his next year, was he injured etc?

What about Popov?
Could you tell me a little about his game?
Could he break through this year?

Nizhnikov was/ is deemed a fantastic talent, with speed and skill.
In Barrie he was a bit too young, but did expect a better output in Sudbury.
2 years ago he was projected as a potential 1st rounder, before gradually disappearing off the radar.....
Anyone know what happened?

What are the OSA fans thoughts.
Have a great day everyone!

To answer your first question Sushko is NHL drafted by Philadelphia and because of the Canadian Hockey League's rules in co-operation with the NHL prospects. It's really up to the NHL team that picks them where they end up.

Sush is a decent import by like so many imports that come to play in North America he had ups and downs in his first season in the CHL. His second and even last season saw him jump up in a big way although with the age limitations in the CHL of how many players in each age bracket it can make managers have difficult decisions.

Each CHL team has to align with this specific age bracket.

20 or overage players (X3)
19 as many as you want to fit your 25 man roster
" same for 18's and 17's"
16 or underage players (X3)

Popov and Nizhnikov is an interesting thing as the same can be said for Chibrikov all three players have ties to Europe in some way but due to the the CHL's ruling that any European who plays a minimum 1 season in North America is deemed what we call a domestic player and doesn't count towards the CHL's 2 European player rule.

On top of that the CHL has deemed that any CHL team can draft/sign a European born goalie in the CHL import draft if they choose and will be awarded a 3rd selection as compensation for selected tender if they don't make the CHL club who picks them.

To answer your final question the players who come over from Europe can and has been well known for many, many years to have communicational boundaries in understanding what is expected of them as players in the CHL and being able to adapt to life in North America. This can pose a problems with kids as they try and learn and adapt to a new country and learn how to play what has been named the "North American game"

Hopefully this answered your questions and cleared up any confusion about the Canadian Hockey League.

Reactions: johnnydrum

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I see that Carter Robertson was invited to Maple Leafs dev't camp as well.

On another note, Guelph has already announced their Captain for 2019-20 season. Thoughts on who the Attack should name as captain? Thinking Dudas.
A few names thrown out there and all good ones I think leadership is not going to be an issue I'm going to throw Mark Wooley's name out. I know he is young and I think he is quiet but I think he has respect in the room and his actions speak volumes also a very smart young man from what I hear.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
looking through development camps in NHL, saw this write-up on Guzda @ Florida Panthers. Sounds like perhaps nerves may have got the best of him or else he really needs to work on his skills. Hopefully this camp gave him lots to work on over the summer.
Florida Panthers conclude development camp with an intense and spirited scrimmage

I stand by what a fan told me once that a goalie is only as good as how many pucks he sees in a game. The more he sees the more confident and experience he'll get.

Guzda is the same as any other starter in the OHL more games he plays against top shooters the better he'll get. Everyone has to remember he's just turned 18yo after the season ended, top flight trenders usually don't hit there stride in the CHL till 19 or 20yo.

To jog everyone's memory that MG got thrown in the deep end 2 seasons agao as 16yo and grew leaps and bounds last season from that experience. I'd fully expect him to come back to the Sound and be the top tender for 2019/20.

Remember Michael McNiven was the same way here.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I stand by what a fan told me once that a goalie is only as good as how many pucks he sees in a game. The more he sees the more confident and experience he'll get.

Guzda is the same as any other starter in the OHL more games he plays against top shooters the better he'll get. Everyone has to remember he's just turned 18yo after the season ended, top flight trenders usually don't hit there stride in the CHL till 19 or 20yo.

To jog everyone's memory that MG got thrown in the deep end 2 seasons agao as 16yo and grew leaps and bounds last season from that experience. I'd fully expect him to come back to the Sound and be the top tender for 2019/20.

Remember Michael McNiven was the same way here.

Most General Mangers and coaches in the league aren't stupid enough to hand the keys over to a 16/17 year old goalie whose posted less than stellar numbers

Michael McNiven was far from this type of situation.

McNiven was reassigned as a 16 year old to the OJHL. He had a year to develop before making the team. That before being told, "here you go, run with it". Not to mention he had Flynn and Hope until he was dealt to lean back on. However McNiven at least showed he could be a competent goalie in this league more consistently as a 17 year old than Guzda. Can't compare the 2 situations. The team set McNiven up well.

Guzda hasn't shown much. We all keep talking about his age however he is 80 games into his OHL career and looks no better than he did at game 1. Need to start taking the water wings off of him. He's a veteran now. Among active goalies (99-03 born) ( taking out the goalies expected to graduate) Guzda ranks 7th among active goalies in games played. He's shown potential at times but im at the point where I am tired of making excuses for the lackluster goaltending. Part of the process is having goaltenders to rely on and we don't have that.

For me, Guzda has until Christmas. You can not have goaltending be an issue 3 years in a row.

I'm not blaming this all on Guzda. Dale DeGray for all the things he has done well, has crapped the bed here. But Guzda needs to start improving. Not many teams in this league have goalie positions they just hand out. Either start taking advantage of the situation or you can find yourself in the same boat Vella found himself in. Traded, traded, traded, and eventually wrapping up your career in Flint. And I loved Vella.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Just catching up on the news from the weekend - Samanski is a great under the radar signing! Nice to see Dale getting creative to fill gaps in the roster. Suddenly our 02's are looking a lot stronger.

Also crazy the number of dual citizens on the team, exciting that these kids want to come to the Sound.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Just catching up on the news from the weekend - Samanski is a great under the radar signing! Nice to see Dale getting creative to fill gaps in the roster. Suddenly our 02's are looking a lot stronger.

Also crazy the number of dual citizens on the team, exciting that these kids want to come to the Sound.

Certainly answers a lot of questions about filling rolls in the forward depth chart

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
The month of June saw a flurry of player movement/signings.
Taking a closer look now, IMO at what the roster may look like after training camp.
This version of a line-up leaves 2 open 99/OA spots that can potentially be filled somewhere within the roster. My thinking is, another F, another D and a G will still be brought into the Attack mix.

00/McMaster - 00/Dudas - 00/Groulx
00/Popov - 00/Kirwin - 00/Nizhnikov
02/Samanski - ??/?????? - 00/Pearson
02/Straub - 03/Goure - 03/Burroughs
03/Machacek - 01/Wilson

01/Woolley - 99/Lyle
00/Robertson - 01/Perrott
02/Seed - 01/Chibrikov
??/??????

01/Guzda
??/??????

Traded; 99/Robinson, 00/Doherty
Released; 01/Caruk, 01/MacLean

Last edited:

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
that sounds about right Insideout. There is draftee Kaleb Lawrence for an '03 extra forward if he looks good at rookie camp. Might pick up one of the rookies on defense. I totally can see the two you mentioned as traded and released.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Taking a closer look now, IMO at what the roster may look like after training camp.
This version of a line-up leaves 2 open 99/OA spots that can potentially be filled somewhere within the roster. My thinking is, another F, another D and a G will still be brought into the Attack mix.

03/Machacek - 01/Wilson

01/Woolley - 99/Lyle
02/Seed - 01/Chibrikov
??/??????

01/Guzda
??/??????

I agree that plus/minus a tweak here or there that will be fairly accurate projection of what the lineup could look like. The question will be not what happens now but what will truly be shuffled in and out this team still needs senior guys to play leadership roles and with (x 8) 19's I think you'll see one or two moves to give them a chance to play this team can't really rely upon one OA this season. Even giving the younger guys a chance to play you really need (x2 OA's) in the lineup in the Midwest so unless there's a deal on the table for management to bring in a quality OA CR will be returning to the lineup.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017

03/Machacek - 01/Wilson

01/Woolley - 99/Lyle
02/Seed - 01/Chibrikov
??/??????

01/Guzda
??/??????

Also don't forget the U18 draft pick, Ryan Stansel, who plays defense for Hawkesbury Hawkes. There is also centreman Logan LeSage U18 pick. Both are 2002 players.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Congrats Moritz Seider on signing a 3 year ELC with Detroit and being the first ever German player taken in the first round!

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Elite Prospects showing Seider as "on loan" to Adler Mannheim for 2019-20. Seems like we're not getting him. Too bad. Would have liked to see him play.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Elite Prospects showing Seider as "on loan" to Adler Mannheim for 2019-20. Seems like we're not getting him. Too bad. Would have liked to see him play.

EP usually has an automatically generated 19-20 roster place, but it's always subject to change. There's likely just as much chance that Seider ends up in Grand Rapids as he ends up in Mannheim (with us a distant third).

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
Leon Draisaitl, Marcel Goc, and Marco Sturm all beat him to that punch.

But Detroit could do us a solid by sending him to the OHL for a year!

Sorry I was just taking it from an article on Sportsnet apparently I wasnt the only one wrong lol maybe they meant Dman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad