Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I kinda think at the draft party Dale said he would get some offers and possibly commit. Remember a commitment doesn't always mean he is never here. Bobby Ryan committed to U of M. I believe when Dale said the top 4 would be here he was assuming Shlain wasn't here and was reffering to Sam Sedley. He also said Gibson Homer would probably not be here but in 2 years may need a place to play. I have no problem with taking the odd gamble. Remember in the Plater day's we took only kids that would report not a gamble. I believe that had us taking Richard Power? over Rick Nash how did that work?

I only have the benefit of Dale's interview with Fred post draft. I fully understand a commitment is not binding, but in the history of the Attack, and specifically under the current management, the list of guys we have gotten to decommit from the NCAA is extremely short.

It's just frustrating to hear about the confidence management has that high picks will report, only to have them be caught with their pants down so to speak weeks later. The Attack are notorious for the lack of information coming from management, and player recruitment is front and centre for the smoke and mirrors that go on.

I'm all for taking kids from the states that might have real NCAA options, a team in a market the size of Owen Sound and area cannot compete without being bold.

The Richard Power/Rick Nash example isn't really a good one though, because it was so long ago. The Platers/Attack were a mickey mouse franchise in every sense of the word (remember our blue benches??), and in the OHL draft, there's no point getting upset about who you could have had in the first round because there's always the question of whether they'd report. I'm going to guess, given that was the first year the Hunters owned the Knights, that Nash was never an option.

Bobby Ryan can also be considered a special case given his very particular family situation at the time. Whether the Attack decision started it or not, he's also had a rough relationship with US Hockey.

My sentiment with this team is I'll believe it when I see them on the ice here - and more frankly - when they've signed a deal.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Nice to see the boys incl. Suzuki, Hancock, Phillips and Durzi at the softball game and awards picnic today @ the Bayshore. Great way for the fans to say goodbye to a great bunch of guys. Good luck to our overagers Bourque and Poirier, and Durzi/Hancock. Exhibition games vs Barrie (Sept 1) and N. Bay (Sept 14) now posted. Guess the regular schedule will be posted sometime this week.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Nice to see the boys incl. Suzuki, Hancock, Phillips and Durzi at the softball game and awards picnic today @ the Bayshore. Great way for the fans to say goodbye to a great bunch of guys. Good luck to our overagers Bourque and Poirier, and Durzi/Hancock. Exhibition games vs Barrie (Sept 1) and N. Bay (Sept 14) now posted. Guess the regular schedule will be posted sometime this week.

Waiting for the OHL to finalize scheduling, should be announced by this week or next at the latest, can't see them dragging out much longer.

With the OHL announcing the preseason games already it shouldn't be too much longer than a week tops to announce the regular season schedule.

Reactions: three dog night

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack Sign 2019 1st Rounder Deni Goure – Owen Sound Attack

Good to see DD lock up Goure at the BBQ yesterday. This gives the team a solid 6 natural centers in the lineup for next season.

Dudas - 19
Kirwin -OA
MacMaster - 19
Goure - 16
Caruk - 18
Wilson - 18

That makes up for a fairly solid 6 center group to build around for next season, of course there is always still time for management to make a few tweaks to the lineup before the regular season starts as teams always do when the fall trade-freeze lifts. Of course all these guys are listed at natural centers I can't see them all playing their natural position come regular season play.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Home openers have been announced by the OHL today. The Attack home opener is Sat. Sept. 21st vs Ottawa. Ottawa plays the night before (Fri). again Guelph. Like that wasn't planned, lol! Can't wait for the rest of the schedule to be announced.

Reactions: three dog night

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Home openers have been announced by the OHL today. The Attack home opener is Sat. Sept. 21st vs Ottawa. Ottawa plays the night before (Fri). again Guelph. Like that wasn't planned, lol! Can't wait for the rest of the schedule to be announced.

Won't have to wait long for the remaining 67. Will see how the fate of 2019-20 shakes out tomorrow.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
What day is the Import Draft? With a few teams looking for Tendy's would Dale consider moving one for the right price? I'm thinking MacLean as I believe Guz took a big step forward in his few playoff games. I'm in know way slamming either goalie it is just at some point we have to get an age gap between the 2 so why not now if the price is slightly inflated.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Believe it's the 27th. Moving MacLean makes a lot of sense. I assume Guzda's performance in the playoffs solidified his role as your #1 moving forward. He was awesome.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
What day is the Import Draft? With a few teams looking for Tendy's would Dale consider moving one for the right price? I'm thinking MacLean as I believe Guz took a big step forward in his few playoff games. I'm in know way slamming either goalie it is just at some point we have to get an age gap between the 2 so why not now if the price is slightly inflated.

Import draft is 2 weeks from tomorrow on the 27th, with the 26th pick I can't see DD using both selections at 26th and 86th he typically isn't known for shooting for the stars.

However with the very likelihood of Sushko playing in the AHL next season for the Flyers I can however see him use at least one selection, as for Alberg it's hard to gage a guy off one season of play in the league especially when he played limited minutes last season.

The odds of him selecting a tender is off the table in the import draft, DD has always made it clear that his confidence in selecting a tender in the import draft would be more or less shooting blindly in the dark and with no real gage on what a team is getting.

Except a skater again this year.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
I'm reading that the Hounds just obtained OA/G/Propp from North Bay for a 15'th round pick.
Wow - you see folks, when you see the need, you go "GET IT DONE"!
If thats the going price right now I don't think a move will be made. I know we will take at least 1 skater in the import draft I personally would like to see Manny get a shot with some consistent minutes and skilled linemates but thats just me.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Yes, so even if the pick turns into a 5'th - 8'th rounder, this is still a great deal for the Soo.
IMO, this deal keeps the Greyhounds in the hunt, especially if Hayton is returned from Arizona.
We've been trying (so we were told) to make such a deal for 2 full years now!

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
A Huge Congratulations to Attack Grad Jordan Binnington on his NHL playoff performance, and on being the most recent Attack Alumnus to get his name inscribed on the Stanley Cup. With his performance, he's served notice that he has arrived as a NHL starting goaltender.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Agree. He becomes a Restricted Free Agent @ July 1st. He's worth every penny. Jake Allen's salary is $4,350,000. Will be interesting to see St. L's offer.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Agree. He becomes a Restricted Free Agent @ July 1st. He's worth every penny. Jake Allen's salary is $4,350,000. Will be interesting to see St. L's offer.
Would expect something in the range of 5 years $30M - $6M per; that would put him in the Crawford and Holtby range, I don't think he creeps into the next group that includes guys like Rask and Fleury - $7M.
John Gibson is a comparable and on an 8 years $6.4M per ($51.2M), same age and statically similar this year without the cup. Either way he's getting a raise :).

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Yes, so even if the pick turns into a 5'th - 8'th rounder, this is still a great deal for the Soo.
IMO, this deal keeps the Greyhounds in the hunt, especially if Hayton is returned from Arizona.
We've been trying (so we were told) to make such a deal for 2 full years now!

That's the issue with hearsay information.

I don't have the facts on what happened if at all between us and the Greyhounds if anything did happen. Although everyone has to remember one thing deals are made in minutes, hours, days and weeks and any number of trading partners that could make for any combination of deals.

Conditional pick trading is something that has always been based on 3 things.

1- A place holder for a player may or may not report.

2- An expectation on a player whom may need a change of cities in the league.

3- Beyond that it's always been statistical expectations, if a player who is a top line forward or defender on one club and is traded to another team they team who trades always wants fair compensation for the players contributions to to the team who acquired him for a deep post-season run.

In the case of trying to make traction on any deal at this point will be solely based upon the NHL draft and less of who gets dealt or what in the case of draft picks, any movement will happen past the NHL entry draft and CHL import draft. Would a guy like BH be a good addition to the team, statistically I'd say yes however dealing for a guy based off his stats is only half the challenge. I agree trying to make deals has got more challenging it seems in the past 2 seasons but it's more based of the limitations of moving draft picks then actually moving warm bodies.

I theory what you're suggesting would work if the OHL played out as fan would want it, although there's more factors then just us fans perspective on who gets dealt and where, and the NHL holds more sway in these situations than we'd all like. Until the trade-freeze lifts any suggestions like this are pure speculation.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
My point is, if we felt the need to upgrade our goaltending situation anytime throughout the last 2 seasons, a deal would have been there (somewhere) to get done!
DD didn't feel the need was as important as some others (me included). Therefore my question now is, how much further ahead are we by "standing pat"? My answer to that is - we missed out with a championship caliber team in 2017 because of it and we never got any better this past season!
You can "spin it" any way you want to but the fact of the matter is we're still waiting to see if #1 Guzda will finally turn into the goaltender management has hoped he would, for 2 seasons already. Year three is just around the corner and again we'll all have our fingers crossed to see what unfolds in front of us come September.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Taking a page out of posters in the forum in Peterborough and Soo, I decided to add an Attack version of a prospects thread to the forum.

(Link below) I will be adding to the thread of prospects on a draft to draft basis although will not include previously signed or traded players prior to this past April draft 2019, only those who haven't signed to the team.

Owen Sound Attack Prospects Thread

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
My point is, if we felt the need to upgrade our goaltending situation anytime throughout the last 2 seasons, a deal would have been there (somewhere) to get done!
DD didn't feel the need was as important as some others (me included). Therefore my question now is, how much further ahead are we by "standing pat"? My answer to that is - we missed out with a championship caliber team in 2017 because of it and we never got any better this past season!
You can "spin it" any way you want to but the fact of the matter is we're still waiting to see if #1 Guzda will finally turn into the goaltender management has hoped he would, for 2 seasons already. Year three is just around the corner and again we'll all have our fingers crossed to see what unfolds in front of us come September.

Jr.Hockey is all about patience as fans, and with goaltending you never know what you have till the 3rd season mostly because year 1 is tenders play limited games, year 2 they get 17-34 games and usually by their draft year they're play the bulk of the minutes in the season.

Keep in mind that if the team never took the time with MG over the past 2 seasons to give him a chance to prove himself as a starter then they would be in another season where us fans would be scratching our heads wondering what the tensing situation would be for the season ahead.

2017 is in the past and no matter what the team did or didn't do back then has very little to no effect on what will happen in 2020. Looking ahead the team has youth and promise and could make noise in the conference with a solid depth chart this season.

Plain and simple 2020 will be a season where the team the team should have a slight advantage over others in the conference due to the experience of last seasons returning guys.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With the NHL 2019 Entry Draft coming in short order I went through the OHLers and have singled out Owen Sound's players/prospects that are NHL draft eligible (Listed Below)

6 SEIDER, Moritz OWEN SOUND/MANHEIM

25 GUZDA, Mack OWEN SOUND

31 MACLEAN, Andrew OWEN SOUND

NR PERROTT, Andrew OWEN SOUND

Of course this is based on NHL scouting reports and by no means is will officially be where if at all picked at the NHL Entry Draft, with Owen Sound's strong ties with the Los Angeles Kings with Mike Futa being the former GM of the team I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kings go after one of Seider, Guzda, MacLean or Perrott. I would be shocked to see the Kings go back to the OHL well and Owen Sound with one if not a few picks in the upcoming draft. (Kings Picks listed below)

1st - 5
1st - 22 (TOR) from Muzzin/Durzi deal
2nd - 33
3rd - 64
3rd - 87
4th - 119
5th - 126
6th -157
7th - 188

Lets hope that the connections between the Attack and Kings pays off once again this year as it has many times in the past of the years.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
I see Sushko is listed under AHL Lehigh Valley Phantoms for 2019-20. He'll attend the Flyers camp, and depending what they decide, he'll either go to AHL, ECHL, be returned to OS or even go to European team. I don't think he's ready to play NHL yet. Lehigh has a rookie game scheduled in early Sept. Time will tell.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I see Sushko is listed under AHL Lehigh Valley Phantoms for 2019-20. He'll attend the Flyers camp, and depending what they decide, he'll either go to AHL, ECHL, be returned to OS or even go to European team. I don't think he's ready to play NHL yet. Lehigh has a rookie game scheduled in early Sept. Time will tell.

Sushi could return there's no doubt about it, will he return as an OA import that is different topic entirely. The big question will lay when the CHL import draft comes around which will be in short order. IMO, I can see him back in OS as an OA import although this is junior hockey and I'm positive right now OS management is weighing the options out for either case.

If he returns then will see what and OA season can do for him and he would be on the top-6 forward depth however on the flips side of the situation there's always a chance for management to select another import player coming in very shortly with the import draft.

Either way we the fans slice it decisions will be made very soon and the import situation will sort itself out before August, although if he's listed in the AHL I wouldn't be surprised that it will be a waiting game till the start of training camp and regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad