Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
The boys put up a great battle with the Greyhounds and I really think we could have extended the series to a game #six and who knows after that. After the "sell off" no one really gave this Attack team much of a chance to make the playoffs never mind be competitive in round #one against any team they were to play.

- I'm still not sold on our goaltending tandem, there is more improvement needed by both.
- The "D" group should be pretty solid next year with growth and strength from the young guys.
- There is an abundance of Forwards that are eligible to return but not sure all will, based on skill and productivity.

Below is a list of my "keepers" to form the core of this Attack team for next season and beyond.

*Goalies; #1 Guzda

*Defence; #33 Lyle/OA, #28 Woolley, #8 Parrott, #2 Robertson, #6 Seed, #4 Chibrikov + 1/Import

*Forwards; #27 Dudas, #22 McMaster, #19 Kirwin, #11 Groulx, #34 Popov, #26 Pearson, #20 Wilson, #10 Doherty + 2/OA's, + 1/Import + 1'st Pick

It will be interesting to see what direction management decides to go starting this coming Saturday with the Draft. I'm thinking a scoring Forward with some size.
All in all some exciting times ahead for the Attack organization, let's enjoy the ride!

Last edited:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The boys put up a great battle with the Greyhounds and I really think we could have extended the series to a game #six and who knows after that. After the "sell off" no one really gave this Attack team much of a chance to make the playoffs never mind be competitive in round #one against any team they were to play.

- I'm still not sold on our goaltending tandem, there is more improvement needed by both.
- The "D" group should be pretty solid next year with growth and strength from the young guys.
- There is an abundance of Forwards that are eligible to return but not sure all will based on skill and productivity.

Below is a list of my "keepers" to form the core of this Attack team for next season and beyond.

*Goalies; #1 Guzda

*Defence; #33 Lyle/OA, #28 Woolley, #8 Parrott, #2 Robertson, #6 Seed, #4 Chibrikov + 1/Import

*Forwards; #27 Dudas, #22 McMaster, #19 Kirwin, #11 Groulx, #34 Popov, #26 Pearson, #20 Wilson, #10 Doherty + 2/OA's, + 1/Import + 1'st Pick

It will be interesting to see what direction management decides to go starting this coming Saturday with the Draft. I'm thinking a scoring Forward with some size.
All in all some exciting times ahead for the Attack organization, let's enjoy the ride!

Certainly would agree with you the core of this team has some bright spots moving into next season, what the draft holds will be an interesting to see as there are some good picks the team has moving into Saturday's draft.

From what you've listed above I'd think that's pretty obvious for returning players plus/minus any moves the team may make before the season starts. With 6 returning D I can't see management going after another D but as I pointed out before a power forward is something that this lineup is missing and was apparent in the playoffs.

With the loss of Porier due to aging out the team will need to fill the void of a that role he played down the stretch. With really only one power forward returning as a OA in CR this I'd think filling that role for the future will be critical moving forward. This team has the makings of continuing forward with the young talent age group but has the experience that should push the team a tad higher in the standings come a year from now.

Goal-tending will certainly be interesting as both Guzda and A-Mac will be 18 next year and both want bigger minutes throughout the season. All things management will have to decide on by training camp. It would be nice to have them both till their 19yo but I can't see the team hanging on to both of them by that time. But those things will hopefully sort things out before then.

Attackfan43

Mar 25, 2019
Owen Sound, ON
Reposting:

I get the feeling we aren't going to see much of Alberg and Doherty next season. With the amount of money that gets invested in bringing imports over, I can't imagine DD has many plans of bringing him back especially if you can get a better import through the draft this year. Not sure where the Attack falls but gotta imagine the 20-30 range. It is unfortunate how Alberg was used most of this year and down the stretch. Also unfortunate the number of players that went after him last year that were missed.

Sushko will definitely not be returning. He had a down year of sorts this year but he's got pro size and the skill to succeed in the AHL.

Wilson, Caruk, in my opinion, are the guys that are going to replace Doherty if he doesn't come to camp and light it up. Neither really impressed. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if 1 or both of them are here to start the season. I like that they both have size. If they could find a way to add more skill, they could form 2/3 of a solid 3rd line down the line here. I like them both, just want to see a bit more.

Cade Robinson had some moments down the stretch. But still hasn't shown me that he could be a capable O/A. If you look around the league, and OS especially, they have a very weak incoming O/A group. It's an area I don't mind upgrading heading into another rebuilding year. Wouldn't mind going out and maybe taking advantage of teams like Kitchener, Barrie and a few others that have quality O/A players. One thing this Attack team lacked severely was overall leadership. Having solid leaders in the room is ideal in a rebuild. Having Cole Cameron down the stretch would have been nice.

This is a crucial draft. While everyone selected is essentially a project, we need to see 3, 03 born prospects on the roster next season. Too many times have we seen very few rookies, then they get sent to junior A and they just don't project the way they should have. Get the rookies in the lineup. No reason why their won't be spots. Get them in, keep them in. Develop them as Attack players. Get a high end forward in the 1st round, and compliment that.

Now onto the goalies. While everyone who hasn't watch him all year praised Guzda calling him a stud, we need to step back and look at the bigger picture. He performed okay over 5 playoff games. While this team isn't expected to do much next year, if we go into December and he is still sporting a 3 GAA and .870 save percentage, its' time to call it a day. Can't consistently be 20 points below average in the save percentage category.

I am excited about the future. Endless posibilities!

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
I’m can imagine seeing Alberg back in Owen Sound next Season. I have the feeling that everybody forgets he is an 01 and compared to someone like Wilson or Caruk, Alberg got way more potential and that’s the reason I believe the Attack drafted him. Yes he is small and definitely not the strongest person but you could see shades of what he could do in the offensive end.
I’m feeling bad for the kid because in my opinion the coaches used/played him wrong.
He‘ll be a good player doesn’t matter where he will play next season.
Let’s see what he can do for Germany at the u18 tournament.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Don't be to quick to write Alberg off.Imports usually need a year to adjust to N.A life and hockey give him some playing time with top players and lets see what he does.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
IMO, there is ZERO chance that #9 Alberg will be back next season. Two reasons why- Alberg would think he could develop more by staying home and playing regularly with his home Club team in Germany and the Attack will be looking to select a more impactful player with size and ability in this coming Import draft. DeGray and Co. need to open up more channels with their European contact's to get a lead on the top players eligible for the Import draft, starting this year!

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Signed Players; 2019-20

RW/Robinson
RD/Lyle

C/Dudas
C/Kirwin
RW/Groulx
RW/Pearson
LW/McMaster
LW/Popov
LW/Doherty
LD/ Robertson

RW/Alberg - Import
RW/Caruk
C/Wilson
LD/Chibrikov
LD/Woolley
RD/Parrott
G/Guzda
G/MacLean

LD/Seed

Looking at this list of potential returning players, there has to be something done to add to the 2002 group. No other team in the league only signed 1 player from last years draft class!

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
IMO, there is ZERO chance that #9 Alberg will be back next season. Two reasons why- Alberg would think he could develop more by staying home and playing regularly with his home Club team in Germany and the Attack will be looking to select a more impactful player with size and ability in this coming Import draft. DeGray and Co. need to open up more channels with their European contact's to get a lead on the top players eligible for the Import draft, starting this year!

On the other hand, Alberg could be a connection to try and lure Moritz Seider over from Mannheim. If he gets drafted in the 1st Round of the NHL Draft (which at this point is likely, he's projected as a Top 5ish dman in the draft), the Attack can draft another Import the week after without having to release either Alberg or Seider's rights. Cutting Alberg immediately (and hoping he hasn't had an awful experience with Owen Sound) would be counterproductive to that.

I hope they give the kid another chance, he was woefully misused this season (though anyone who knows me sees my obvious bias), but this team lacks kids with natural offensive gifts, and Alberg could make a leap into a useful Top 6 player if given the chance next season.

I think it's more likely, in the event he even returns, that he'd be more likely to jump in production than guys like Doherty, Caruck, and Wilson (though Wilson has flashed some upside).

Reactions: OSattackfan

Attackfan43

Mar 25, 2019
Owen Sound, ON
At times, Alberg was in the press box over guys who were drafted in the 2nd chance draft.

You don't bring Imports over to develop. If you are going to do that you might as well just sign what you have in house. Your drafting players in the import draft to come over and compliment your team. Alberg will have pro options in Germany. I could probably guarantee he's got pro affiliation up there. Would it be counterproductive to cut him? Maybe. He could also leave whenever he wants as well. Part of the business.

That's why most imports are only over here for a season or two at the most. Owen Sound has been blessed because the last few imports (Palmu, Sushko, Shariszyanov) became 3-year players but those guys also produced in their first seasons. Do you guys know how much it is just to get these guys over and the resources that go into it? If he couldn't come in and be a regular in the top 9 on this team, down the stretch, why would you want to continue spending the fees to bring him over?

To breakdown, the fees, its not just room and board and flight to NA. Most of these guys have a pro affiliation and the attack are on the hook to pay those teams to release players for a season/2/or 3. Aint cheap.

Yes, he is a 2001 born player. He's not even ranked to get a look in the upcoming NHL Draft.

And I'm not giving up on him. But considering where the attack will be drafting, I'm taking someone else.

There was no import player in the OHL that statistically performed worse then Alberg.

For those banking on Moritz Seider, I'd let that dream go as well. He's already playing professionally in his home country, in a pretty good league making 6 figures. Yes, the NHL team he gets drafted too could sign him and send him here. But most players from overseas that get drafted while playing overseas often are smart enough to say "Hey if im signing its for AHL/NHL only or I'm staying overseas for the season".

Manny Alberg showed me no reason why I would commit to him further. Does he deserve a chance? Sure. Does that mean we should pass up on 2 import picks that could turn out to be better? No. Again, this team was BAD down the stretch, they would rather have played with 7 defencemen then him. Not a good sign.

I feel bad typing this because I have heard nothing but good things about him. But I personally just don't see him here next year.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
At times, Alberg was in the press box over guys who were drafted in the 2nd chance draft.

You don't bring Imports over to develop. If you are going to do that you might as well just sign what you have in house. Your drafting players in the import draft to come over and compliment your team. Alberg will have pro options in Germany. I could probably guarantee he's got pro affiliation up there. Would it be counterproductive to cut him? Maybe. He could also leave whenever he wants as well. Part of the business.

That's why most imports are only over here for a season or two at the most. Owen Sound has been blessed because the last few imports (Palmu, Sushko, Shariszyanov) became 3-year players but those guys also produced in their first seasons. Do you guys know how much it is just to get these guys over and the resources that go into it? If he couldn't come in and be a regular in the top 9 on this team, down the stretch, why would you want to continue spending the fees to bring him over?

To breakdown, the fees, its not just room and board and flight to NA. Most of these guys have a pro affiliation and the attack are on the hook to pay those teams to release players for a season/2/or 3. Aint cheap.

Yes, he is a 2001 born player. He's not even ranked to get a look in the upcoming NHL Draft.

And I'm not giving up on him. But considering where the attack will be drafting, I'm taking someone else.

There was no import player in the OHL that statistically performed worse then Alberg.

For those banking on Moritz Seider, I'd let that dream go as well. He's already playing professionally in his home country, in a pretty good league making 6 figures. Yes, the NHL team he gets drafted too could sign him and send him here. But most players from overseas that get drafted while playing overseas often are smart enough to say "Hey if im signing its for AHL/NHL only or I'm staying overseas for the season".

Manny Alberg showed me no reason why I would commit to him further. Does he deserve a chance? Sure. Does that mean we should pass up on 2 import picks that could turn out to be better? No. Again, this team was BAD down the stretch, they would rather have played with 7 defencemen then him. Not a good sign.

I feel bad typing this because I have heard nothing but good things about him. But I personally just don't see him here next year.

I don't read anything in your comments that could be misconstrued.
DeGray told us the fee to pry Barnes from his team, should he decide to come to Owen Sound at Christmas, was $10,000. He hinted the Attack were not prepared to pony up.

That could give a clue the kind of dollars required to buy a contract of an import.

So value for money becomes paramount, more so in a small market , where there is little wiggle room.

A local kid could be had for less, and should be considered in lieu of an underproducing import.

Given the fact the past two or three drafts were considered some of the best for the Attack, they haven't yielded the results they should have. Why ?

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound

Look I agree with you that it's likely a 50/50 (or even more) that he's going home next year. But the standard also doesn't have to be NHL draft worthy.

He was also a fringe player on an OHL team this year (and not a good team at that), so his options in Germany aren't exactly flattering either. I'm somewhat familiar with the German hockey system, and he'd most likely go back to their U20 league the DNL next season with Köln. He's not even at the point where you would farm him out to a club in the semi-pro, 3rd tier Oberliga. I'm not sure what his relationship is contractually with Köln at this point (he might not have any German contract at the moment), but he has every incentive to stick around Canada.

As for Seider, at least we can dream, right? He's definitely not making six figures yet, mind you. It's not an equal comparison by any means, but London landed Boqvist this year because of the team that drafted him - he certainly showed no indication of leaving Sweden otherwise.

Anyway, I'm excited for the draft this weekend, and I'll wade into the import conversation and the broader roster once the draft is done. Lots to talk about for Attack fans this off-season.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Bayshore Fred reporting possible trade for 2nd rnd pick with Petes. Not sure what they gave up.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Looks like we get a 2nd (2019) and give up a 2nd (2020), 3rd (2021), and 6th (2023). So a net loss of a 3rd and 6th.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
What is the reasoning behind this trade?
I am going to guess after looking at the prospects list there is someone he wants that won't be there when we pick 42nd I was told earlier this draft wasn't deep but just the other day read where it is deeper than alot of drafts.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I am going to guess after looking at the prospects list there is someone he wants that won't be there when we pick 42nd I was told earlier this draft wasn't deep but just the other day read where it is deeper than alot of drafts.

I've heard scattered reports some saying the draft is deep but the talent depth is primarily committed to NCAA commits which will push 3rd and 4th round picks to be taken in 1st and 2nd round spots for a lot of teams who may not be able to attract those who will go that route, while others say that the talent pool leveled out and beyond the 1st overall pick that there's steady guys that will go through 2-21, due to the compensations pick the Pete's have at 5th overall for Cuylle.

Will see where things shake out and what DD can find at 10th overall.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Attack Correction:
Correction: an earlier release said it was Owen Sound’s 2020 2nd round pick going to Peterborough. It is Mississauga’s 2nd in 2020 going to the Petes

Attackfan43

Mar 25, 2019
Owen Sound, ON
Steep price to move up but I like it.

This player picked with that spot will likely be in the lineup. At that point of the draft, the difference between a 20th overall pick and the 29th overall pick is thin so we are potentially getting a 1st round talent there.

I am thinking DD takes a forward in the 1st. What does he pick here? Would people prefer another forward or a defencemen?

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
We have a glut of 2000 forwards (7 I believe). We can only keep max 3 of them for 2020-2021, and maybe only 2 since Carter Robertson is a 2000. Bottom line, scoring stands to take a big hit after next year as I see it. Compounding this problem is that we have no 2002 forwards from last year's draft on the roster (though I bet Brody Waters cracks the lineup this year), and the only 2001's are Alberg (quite possibly not returning), Wilson, and Caruk. Not promising.

Dale needs young forwards now to better balance out the veteran 2000 forwards. I'm thinking he takes a forward with each of his first 3 picks, including the one he got today.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

This player picked with that spot will likely be in the lineup. At that point of the draft, the difference between a 20th overall pick and the 29th overall pick is thin so we are potentially getting a 1st round talent there.

I am thinking DD takes a forward in the 1st. What does he pick here? Would people prefer another forward or a defencemen?

I can't say that was a steep price for a higher price, sure picks come with a cost but beyond that what he gave up and what he could get with that pick, could far and none improve the clubs development into next season if he can get the guy he wants and if the guy will report.

What he picks with that pick maybe the difference maker a year from now in the depth chart for the teams success, although he probably added the pick because be wants a player who he thinks may not be available in later rounds.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
What is the reasoning behind this trade?

Time value of money! The 2nd Round pick this year helps the team a heck of a lot more than a 2nd Round pick does the year after - especially with the uneven birth years we've got up front as mentioned by other posters.

I don't think it's that expensive to be honest. We get a chance to bring in another top youngster to the lineup a year sooner.

As for position - maybe a goalie with one of the 2nds. Guzda is 18, so a top pick could come in an apprentice with him.

At the very least, having 2 2nd round picks should allow Dale to take a risk, something he's done in the past with multiple 2nd rounders (most recent example I can think of is 2014 - Willie Knierim was a swing for the fences pick, Gadjovich a lucky faller). If he goes for another Josh Barnes type who falls out of the first round, at least he has that other 2nd Rounder to bring in a kid who will report (but to save us all the stress, I pray he just gets two kids that will push to make the team come September and actually be here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad