Owen Sound Attack 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
EP usually has an automatically generated 19-20 roster place, but it's always subject to change. There's likely just as much chance that Seider ends up in Grand Rapids as he ends up in Mannheim (with us a distant third).

There might be a reassignment clause in his ELC.

But Detroit holds alot of value in his team. I was listening to Jeff Marek talk about the training program and it's insane.

I'd expect him to be in Germany and in GR when the DEL season ends

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
There might be a reassignment clause in his ELC.

But Detroit holds alot of value in his team. I was listening to Jeff Marek talk about the training program and it's insane.

I'd expect him to be in Germany and in GR when the DEL season ends

Yeah that's absolutely a possibility. Mannheim is the best hockey program in Germany. The last great German birthyear, the 95's, had more than half of their World Junior roster represented by current or former Jungadler Mannheim players. Every year some of the best German juniors play for their DNL squad. The next one coming along appears to be Tim Stützle.

Getting Seider in Owen Sound is a fantasy at this point, but at least it's possible. I'm sure Dale would happily find himself in a similar situation to London last year if he's sent back ala Boqvist.

I just hope he isn't sent to the AHL because the results can be so mixed for underage players sent there.

Reactions: OHLFan1995

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Yeah that's absolutely a possibility. Mannheim is the best hockey program in Germany. The last great German birthyear, the 95's, had more than half of their World Junior roster represented by current or former Jungadler Mannheim players. Every year some of the best German juniors play for their DNL squad. The next one coming along appears to be Tim Stützle.

Getting Seider in Owen Sound is a fantasy at this point, but at least it's possible. I'm sure Dale would happily find himself in a similar situation to London last year if he's sent back ala Boqvist.

I just hope he isn't sent to the AHL because the results can be so mixed for underage players sent there.

I think the Seider waiting game is over for the management of the team that was made very apparent in this past June's CHL import draft where managment chose 2 players and releasing Manuel Alberg. As you said PF101 " A Fantasy" is more like a Pipedream among fans.

Time to move forward with the current situation and prospects as well as returning core of players. We all wish Moritz would report myself included but that door has become an open and shut one as for Manuel good to see him get a crack at the NHL in the Q.

Can't dwell on what could've been but more have to focus on what will be for 2019-20.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
With looking at the possible roster that DD has assembled for this season, more and more am I thinking that we need to bring in an OA/99 Goalie. (at a reasonable cost)

If we have a goaltending tandem of 01/Guzda and an OA/99 this gives us...

- stability in case Guzda goes through a "lack of confidence" stretch once again.
- an older goalie that can play 20+ strong/competitive games while pushing Guzda to produce at a "way above average" level now in his third year.
- leadership qualities both in and outside of the dressing room that may come along with an older, experienced goalie.
- a "safety net" incase DD feels the need to move off of Guzda and deal him for another younger prospect to replace him.
- belief from our management group that they are attempting to "get better" and not just satisfied with "status quo" moving into this season.

Possible fit's may be-
OA/99 Richardson - Kitchener
OA/99 Hughes - Oshawa
OA/99 Incze - Windsor

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario

After reading this article let's be honest here, Owen Sound has moved forward with the Moritz Seider situation. Plain and simple.

This was answered at the CHL import draft in June when not also did Attack management make 2 selections but released Manuel Alberg who has since been picked up by the QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats.

I don't think Owen Sound is interested in playing the waiting game on a kid who has clearly and openly made it very well known what his intentions are. That being said if Seider reports at all bonus to Owen Sound but Attack fans aren't holding their breath on it right now.

Reactions: three dog night

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
It has to be up in the air for a player like Seider right now. Even if he were to declare a preference to play in Owen Sound this season, many things can and often do change between now and NHL rookie camp in September, and often the NHL club weighs in on the decision and sometimes more or less makes the decision for the player. Owen Sound would have selected a replacement for him the the CHL Import draft regardless.

To me the situation is similar to what the Soo went through with Rasmus Sandin last season. There were 4 possible destinations that Sandin might have landed in, and there was always a chance he might have found his way to the Soo, even as far into the season as January. That's 6 months away still. You can go crazy trying to hold your breath and predict what will happen, or you can sit back and wait and see.

The 5th possibility for Seider is if Owen Sound can't gain traction in the standings early, but the Red Wings prefer him to play in the OHL for a contender, they might request that Owen Sound trades him.

Fun times.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It has to be up in the air for a player like Seider right now. Even if he were to declare a preference to play in Owen Sound this season, many things can and often do change between now and NHL rookie camp in September, and often the NHL club weighs in on the decision and sometimes more or less makes the decision for the player. Owen Sound would have selected a replacement for him the the CHL Import draft regardless.

To me the situation is similar to what the Soo went through with Rasmus Sandin last season. There were 4 possible destinations that Sandin might have landed in, and there was always a chance he might have found his way to the Soo, even as far into the season as January. That's 6 months away still. You can go crazy trying to hold your breath and predict what will happen, or you can sit back and wait and see.

The 5th possibility for Seider is if Owen Sound can't gain traction in the standings early, but the Red Wings prefer him to play in the OHL for a contender, they might request that Owen Sound trades him.

Fun times.

Unfortunately that's the game of the CHL when it comes to NHL drafted prospects. The Red Wings hold the fate right now and its

Typically by season two of a kid's development is key when it comes to imports it's more a shot in the dark. Agreed it's up in the air right now but unlike the Soo, Owen Sound isn't one for sitting on their hands waiting for players decisions will be made by training camp.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Looking at the U17 Hockey Canada Summer Showcase, Burroughs is on Team Green; and Goure and Lawrence on Team Blue. Good experience and precursor to Attack Rookie Camp.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
After reading this article let's be honest here, Owen Sound has moved forward with the Moritz Seider situation. Plain and simple.

This was answered at the CHL import draft in June when not also did Attack management make 2 selections but released Manuel Alberg who has since been picked up by the QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats.

I don't think Owen Sound is interested in playing the waiting game on a kid who has clearly and openly made it very well known what his intentions are. That being said if Seider reports at all bonus to Owen Sound but Attack fans aren't holding their breath on it right now.

The team has obviously prepared for it, but it will be extremely easy to waive the weaker of Straub or Machachek in the (yes unlikely) event Seider is assigned to us, ala Boqvist in London last year. Considering Straub is a complete wildcard and I would say far from guaranteed to make the team (whereas our Czech lad has a better pedigree), it wouldn't be a tough call to make room for Seider.

Reactions: Pond Hockey

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With about 6 weeks till training camp 2019-20.

Friendly reminder to all Owen Sound Attack posters I will be posting updates on thread during training camp sessions.

According to sources the training camp (rookie camp) should be the 26th of August and main camp should be 28th.

Below is the link to the Attack Prospects thread for the 2019-20 training camp plus minus free agent invites that I will add any additional players once training camp starts.

I highly recommend that any views from camp be welcome to the thread link below.

Owen Sound Attack Prospects Thread

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The team has obviously prepared for it, but it will be extremely easy to waive the weaker of Straub or Machachek in the (yes unlikely) event Seider is assigned to us, ala Boqvist in London last year. Considering Straub is a complete wildcard and I would say far from guaranteed to make the team (whereas our Czech lad has a better pedigree), it wouldn't be a tough call to make room for Seider.

Plain and simple Seider isn't coming that was simply made clear by management at the import draft like I have mentioned before if the team had any thought or idea that Seider would report this season management would've passed on the second import selection in June.

As such managment chose to select 2 imports and release Alberg meaning very simple that the team has moved on without Seider and believes they would be better moving forward with the youth of the team.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Why would they do this? Selecting allows them to protect themselves in case Seider doesnt come. I don't understand your reasoning here.

The reason is simple Seider isn't coming if he was or if the team was certain he could possibly report they won't have selected a 2nd selection and pass on it

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
No they wouldn't. Even selecting twice still allows Seider to report. They did not have to release his rights to select twice. Any team would select twice in this situation. Doesnt mean anything about whether or not he is coming.

He very well might not come, but you can bet that if he is sent, the Attack make room in a heartbeat.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
No they wouldn't. Even selecting twice still allows Seider to report. They did not have to release his rights to select twice. Any team would select twice in this situation. Doesnt mean anything about whether or not he is coming.

He very well might not come, but you can bet that if he is sent, the Attack make room in a heartbeat.
Hockey Pops is right.The Attack actually have 4 imports on there list unless I missed a release email. They have the 2 they picked plus Seider as a 1st rd NHL pick and Sushko as a signed NHL prospect both are still our property but don't count as our 2 imports. Sush will never be back as he would also be an O/A and lets be honest we are #4 on the list of places Seider plays but they are both ours.

Reactions: PensFan101

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Last edited:

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Kaleb Lawrence got a hat trick in tonight's U17 game. Burroughs has a couple of assists over 2 games. Have not seen anything from Deni Goure. Our prospects are looking good.

Reactions: AttackSound

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The reason is simple Seider isn't coming if he was or if the team was certain he could possibly report they won't have selected a 2nd selection and pass on it

You're out to lunch. Teams will always make an import selection if the option is available. There is no reason not to do so. Seider's status had nothing to do with the team's second selection.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
You're out to lunch. Teams will always make an import selection if the option is available. There is no reason not to do so. Seider's status had nothing to do with the team's second selection.

Owen Sound doesn't have the sway that teams like the Soo do. OS management had made it clear that they were moving on with or without Seider.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Owen Sound doesn't have the sway that teams like the Soo do. OS management had made it clear that they were moving on with or without Seider.

I'm less familiar with the team so please fill me in on what they have said about Seider. I do agree that he probably wouldn't come to any OHL team.

I only disagree with your notion that the import draft was an indicator of Seider's intentions. It was not, period.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

You are not incorrect, but if you listen to the interview that Dale gave with Fred the day of the import draft, he indicated that the Red Wings 'know where we stand' with Seider, and 'everything is in their hands'. Perhaps it's just a breakdown in communication with what you've heard and typed here, but I don't think they have 'moved on', I believe they know the situation is out of their control and acting as such.

Dale also made mention that they would make room for Seider if they need to do so, so drafting 2 imports isn't an indicator of anything other then them simply covering their bases. Odds are Seider will not be in Owen Sound this year, so not drafting 2 imports would leave them without one for the year. We have no idea what Straub will become (he seems to be a complete wildcard for many), but drafting him is no indication of Seider's future.

All you have to do is look at London last year, they had significant indications that Boqvist would be assigned to London, but they still drafted two imports to cover their basis. This situation is no different, outside of the fact that the odds Seider coming are significantly lower it would seem.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
You are not incorrect, but if you listen to the interview that Dale gave with Fred the day of the import draft, he indicated that the Red Wings 'know where we stand' with Seider, and 'everything is in their hands'. Perhaps it's just a breakdown in communication with what you've heard and typed here, but I don't think they have 'moved on', I believe they know the situation is out of their control and acting as such.

Dale also made mention that they would make room for Seider if they need to do so, so drafting 2 imports isn't an indicator of anything other then them simply covering their bases. Odds are Seider will not be in Owen Sound this year, so not drafting 2 imports would leave them without one for the year. We have no idea what Straub will become (he seems to be a complete wildcard for many), but drafting him is no indication of Seider's future.

All you have to do is look at London last year, they had significant indications that Boqvist would be assigned to London, but they still drafted two imports to cover their basis. This situation is no different, outside of the fact that the odds Seider coming are significantly lower it would seem.

I did listen to Dale's interview with Fred and if you caught the subtle message Dale gave Fred it all hinges on if Dale could make traction on Detroit's intentions on where Seider will play next season. In no way shape or form did Dale indicate Seider was coming just said he was talk with the Red Wings and see where the talks shook out.

I strongly believe the reason Dale took 2 imports was simply because he knew Seider wasn't coming.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
I did listen to Dale's interview with Fred and if you caught the subtle message Dale gave Fred it all hinges on if Dale could make traction on Detroit's intentions on where Seider will play next season. In no way shape or form did Dale indicate Seider was coming just said he was talk with the Red Wings and see where the talks shook out.

I strongly believe the reason Dale took 2 imports was simply because he knew Seider wasn't coming.

And that's fine, we all have the option to believe whatever we want to believe based on what information we have.

There's a difference between that and your first comment where you insinuated it was a fact and there was evidence to that fact, vs an opinion that you have, which is far from fact.

Either way it was a smart roll of the dice to get his rights last year for free without having to worry about losing an import. Really, there's nothing lost either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->