OT: Outdoor Rinks

Connor Mcdavey*

Thanks for update guys, i'm thinking this weekend we should start to see the rinks become available as exams are wrapping up and the weather is finally "ice hockey appropriate"

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
Aspenglen in Spruce Grove is open, already elbowed in the face and a puck to the leg, back to studying for finals.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Played in Blue Quill last night.

I hope none of you guys are that superstar that showed up in the white Oilers jersey and decided to dangle around everyone all night, take ridiculously long shifts and make it impossible for less talented players like myself to carry the puck since he would strip it from us right away. My team spent most of the night in our defensive zone. We felt like the Oilers.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria

I hope none of you guys are that superstar that showed up in the white Oilers jersey and decided to dangle around everyone all night, take ridiculously long shifts and make it impossible for less talented players like myself to carry the puck since he would strip it from us right away. My team spent most of the night in our defensive zone. We felt like the Oilers.

You should have decked him

oiler-dude

Those guys really annoy me when playing outdoor puck. We get it, you're better than us. You don't have to show it every damn time. Make the occasional crazy rush, sure, but come on.

OilerNut*

With the mild weather there, and temperatures above freezing. How is it possible to have outdoor rinks open? Is there piping underneath to keep it cold?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Its been cold enough, -10ish for a while. They kid at who keeps the rink at Bonnie Doon told me the ice was ready last week. Today was +3 for a bit but the ice was fine.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Looks like most rinks are open. Southside around Whyte has a bunch up and the northside has a few as well, still a few lagging behind.

Last edited:

Sayuri

Dec 30, 2006
Alberta, Canada
With the mild weather there, and temperatures above freezing. How is it possible to have outdoor rinks open? Is there piping underneath to keep it cold?

Only a couple days has the weather actually been above freezing and with the wind chill still cold enough to not affect the ice. It doesn't feel like spring warm when the sun really makes a difference it's just ridiculously mild for winter.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
Does anybody know if you can just walk into an outdoor rink and use it? Or do you gotta pay somewhere?

And in another note, can you use city indoor arenas outside of their public skate hours? Website only shows a handful of arenas for 1 hour a day, which I find is extremely restricting. Does it cost money to use it outside the public skate hours?

rwr

Nov 4, 2009
Leduc rink kinsmen ( high school) is open. Ice is ok. ****** spots by the boards. 2 nets and free

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Does anybody know if you can just walk into an outdoor rink and use it? Or do you gotta pay somewhere?

And in another note, can you use city indoor arenas outside of their public skate hours? Website only shows a handful of arenas for 1 hour a day, which I find is extremely restricting. Does it cost money to use it outside the public skate hours?

Ya outdoor rinks are always free (as far as i have seen) and you can go on them anytime. Most rinks shut off the lights at around 10 pm for the night.

As far as indoor rinks. Most of the scheduled times are for minor hockey. Besides public skate you would have to rent a block of ice. It can cost anywhere from 100 to 300 an hour depending on the venue. It is best to gather a group of friends and it makes it much cheaper.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Yep Delton is always nice! That's because they have a Zamboni to scrape it every day :handclap:

Damn... I've been looking for a place that has a zamboni! A little far for me though, does anyone know of any other rinks that have a zamboni?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad