OT: Outdoor Rinks

Finger Post

Sep 5, 2007
I agree with the helmet rule at most rinks. The only thing bad about it is the limit to what you can wear you keep your ears warm. I prefer a toque, but it doesn't fit under my helmet.
RackMultipart.14302.0_display_image.jpg

;)

I've found my cycling head gear to work pretty well
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...4441955691&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302693161

bokchoy

Oct 2, 2010
Anyone skated at Hawrelak lately?

I heard the ice was pretty bad and was wondering if it has improved since then.

Oct 15, 2008
I walked by Crawford Plains yesterday. Nothing.

Greenview is one of the busiest and should be one of the first to be ready.

As far as Millwoods goes I suppose.

iddmitch

Jun 16, 2009
Edmonton
The one in old riverbend is supposedly close. Just across whitemud from Riverbend Junior High.

Aspen is real close, talked to the rink guy today, may be open tonight depending on how todays flood goes.

Royal gardens was being flooded again this morning, will be flooded around 2, and then again at about 5. Should be good I would imagine. But always packed.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I know that Centennial and Ormsby rinks have both been getting flooded the last week or so. They should be open fairly soon.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
The one in old riverbend is supposedly close. Just across whitemud from Riverbend Junior High.

Aspen is real close, talked to the rink guy today, may be open tonight depending on how todays flood goes.

Royal gardens was being flooded again this morning, will be flooded around 2, and then again at about 5. Should be good I would imagine. But always packed.

Love that rink. Back in university I used to skate every day there on a freshly flooded rink at 10AM. Now I work.

The ice guy there does a fantastic job...lines and all.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I walked by Crawford Plains yesterday. Nothing.

Greenview is one of the busiest and should be one of the first to be ready.

As far as Millwoods goes I suppose.

Crawford plains is always the last rink in millwoods to open, its a shame too because its a nice rink.

Ekota and Tipasken are usually open pretty early too, if i drive by them today i'll give an update later.

kitchen44

Mar 27, 2010
anyone one who is actually serious go's to westglen, but I herd there shuting it down this year (something to do with black mold and the amount of mayhem there) so anyone near by should watch out because were ******* coming!!!!!

Keep your buttholes tight!;)

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I really doubt any rinks would be opened yet. Saw them flooding the Bonniedoon rink the other day.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
It always takes like a week or two then when you expect it. So since I expected this weekend, the answer is 2 weeks from now.

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
I really doubt any rinks would be opened yet. Saw them flooding the Bonniedoon rink the other day.
Quite a few rinks are ready to go. Depends on if your local rink guy is on the ball. This weekend was perfect for making ice. Great base of snow to flood on.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Quite a few rinks are ready to go. Depends on if your local rink guy is on the ball. This weekend was perfect for making ice. Great base of snow to flood on.

Above zero temperatures expected for the rest of the week I'd love to see some rinks open but I'm not very optimistic. Post here if you guys find anything.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007

I spent one winter as an ice maker in the city and as far as my predecessor was concerned you should never flood over snow unless its just a skiff. When you hose down snow it turns to lumpy slush that freezes horribly.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I spent one winter as an ice maker in the city and as far as my predecessor was concerned you should never flood over snow unless its just a skiff. When you hose down snow it turns to lumpy slush that freezes horribly.

Most city rinks are probably on concrete, conventional rinkmaking knowledge probably comes from the backyard and backalley rinks on grass surfaces. Always want a few inches of snow, walk around and pack it down as evenly as possible, flood it. Wheoow!

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Anyone here been using their indoor skates to play on the outdoor rinks? I'm contemplating right now if it's a good idea. Probably will have to do sharpens everytime before a game.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Anyone here been using their indoor skates to play on the outdoor rinks? I'm contemplating right now if it's a good idea. Probably will have to do sharpens everytime before a game.

It chews up your skates pretty bad. Personally id use a second pair if you have them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad