OT: Outdoor Rinks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Heard on the radio today that the future of outdoor rinks in Edmonton doesn't look good. With the new added problem of warm winters it sounds pretty bad for anyone that uses outdoor rinks.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Heard on the radio today that the future of outdoor rinks in Edmonton doesn't look good. With the new added problem of warm winters it sounds pretty bad for anyone that uses outdoor rinks.

I wouldn't say that. This is the warmest winter I can remember and I've been at the rink at least once a week since the one close to me opened. Not to mention that just last winter was one of the coldest and nastiest we've had in a while.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wouldn't say that. This is the warmest winter I can remember and I've been at the rink at least once a week since the one close to me opened. Not to mention that just last winter was one of the coldest and nastiest we've had in a while.

That was the news this morning on 2 different radio stations, so obviously something is up.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That was the news this morning on 2 different radio stations, so obviously something is up.

There was an article in the paper about a couple of researchers who are predicting that global warming might make it difficult to make ice by mid century in some parts of the country. It's a nothing story.

Skm

May 30, 2008
Edmonton
I've been out to the rink more this year than the previous few years combined. Usually involes a crew of guys shovelling for 20 minutes first however because our go-to rink is very "un-managed".

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was an article in the paper about a couple of researchers who are predicting that global warming might make it difficult to make ice by mid century in some parts of the country. It's a nothing story.

Well that I didn't hear. I never heard who did the study or if it was community leagues themselves complaining.

Connor Mcdavey*

thought i'd bump this thread, outdoor puck is upon us and this would be a great place to refer to when ice rinks become available around Edmonton and area

Connor Mcdavey*

nice, i'm hoping within the next few weeks they'll start to pop up

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A rink is under construction in my neighbourhood (Twin Brooks) so I am pretty excited for this year.

Gregor had the mayor of St.Albert on the other day talking about new rinks and such. I wonder if instead of making parks in new subdivisons that maybe they start making the odd hockey rink here and there. I know developers have to make x amount of park land, but maybe they make smaller parks with a rink that is partially funded by the city.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
While we wait for the rinks to ice up this snow should be good for cross country skiing. Looks like most of the regular trails are already open in the city and Strathcona wilderness center should be open though their site hasnt been updated yet.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
While we wait for the rinks to ice up this snow should be good for cross country skiing. Looks like most of the regular trails are already open in the city and Strathcona wilderness center should be open though their site hasnt been updated yet.
I need to get back into that. Did it for quite a few years, but once College hit things changed.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I was at holyrood today. The ice was crap and we needed to shovel it, but it was still nice to get out for a bit. Was pretty damn cold too. Give it a week and there will be some quality ice.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Gregor had the mayor of St.Albert on the other day talking about new rinks and such. I wonder if instead of making parks in new subdivisons that maybe they start making the odd hockey rink here and there. I know developers have to make x amount of park land, but maybe they make smaller parks with a rink that is partially funded by the city.

I heard that as well, never answered a single question Gregor asked. Just all of these long drawn out nothing responses. Maybe the interview was better toward the end because I shut it off.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I was at holyrood today. The ice was crap and we needed to shovel it, but it was still nice to get out for a bit. Was pretty damn cold too. Give it a week and there will be some quality ice.

Head over to Bonnie Doon instead, it's close to Holyrood and the ice is in very good condition. Just got back from a game of 5 on 5 shinny.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
How late in the season are outdoor rinks open? Might be visiting family in early March and curious if there would still be ice outside?

Depends year to year... last year we only had a month or two of good ice since the coldest it got probably was -5?

This year weather looks to be much better for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad