OT: Outdoor Rinks

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
Just about this time of the year again. Still a bit warm. Any one know of any rinks that have started to flood yet?
Not even close to cold enough yet. Have we had a day with a high below +5? Looking like a repeat of last year with terrible ice the entire year. Two week forecast is showing above zero for end of November.

Jorrak

Nov 12, 2015
We have already started flooding both of our community rinks (Southwood). We have to get the ground saturated enough for the water to pool. Last night we had our first standing water, and by the end of the night it had started to freeze. Depending on our volunteers we will try to flood every night.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
We have already started flooding both of our community rinks (Southwood). We have to get the ground saturated enough for the water to pool. Last night we had our first standing water, and by the end of the night it had started to freeze. Depending on our volunteers we will try to flood every night.

Best first post ever? Thanks for the update Jorrak!

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Thanks, yes, it is freezing at night now. So that is all you need to get the ground frozen. We need some colder weather, but we aren't that far off if people are flooding already.

Jorrak

Nov 12, 2015
My first year helping out with the rink. Depending on weather and volunteers we are trying to be open for early to mid December.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Last year was awful, was only able to get out a couple times. Doesn't look much better this year but I won't complain about a warm winter.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We've had two brutal winters in a row for outdoor rinks. It was either too warm, way too cold, or just the right temperature, but with a ton of snow. Never really had any good stretches of -5 to -15 with no or little snow.

Jorrak

Nov 12, 2015
For Southwood (Millwoods) We have are base down and are flooding at least twice a night. We hope to have the hockey rink and the smaller skating rink to thickness and open for the season by December 11 at the latest, as our rink director wants to get the outdoor league started and set up a skate with Santa.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Hearing rumours there are a couple open now, is there any truth to it? Thanks in advance!!

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Though it's not for hockey, Victoria Park Oval is one of the nicest outdoor facilities I've seen anywhere. Hope they flood soon!

Yes, without doubt. They have their won zamboni and the ice is very good. Nice surroundings as well, just a great place to skate.

Hawrelak part can be amazing too but much more hit and miss in terms of quality. During the ice festival they had really good ice until it got up to +5 one day.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
For Southwood (Millwoods) We have are base down and are flooding at least twice a night. We hope to have the hockey rink and the smaller skating rink to thickness and open for the season by December 11 at the latest, as our rink director wants to get the outdoor league started and set up a skate with Santa.

I googled southwood and it showed me daily grove school, and I don't recall a rink being in that area. Where abouts is that rink?

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Anyone have any updates on ODR sheets that are open? SW Edmonton preferable. Many thanks in advance, been swamped at work so not much time to drive around and look for myself but wanting to get out this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad