Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
But to be fair, Ottawa had to Kingston and Hamilton 8 times each last year as well when both were powerhouse teams.

It's cyclical as we know. Only ones that might complain are those in the division with London who seemingly has a top team every year.
True enough, just pointing it out. For example there’s no way in God’s green earth the Wolves make the playoffs a few years back if the Central division wasn’t so weak.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well our competition in the east are making moves. Oshawa just added Salinitri. Niagara did the big Robertson/Paquette trade. I thought Niagara was finished but after Ham's trade they might have enough ammo for another move. Ottawa is being very patient sitting on their hoard of picks.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Well our competition in the east are making moves. Oshawa just added Salinitri. Niagara did the big Robertson/Paquette trade. I thought Niagara was finished but after Ham's trade they might have enough ammo for another move. Ottawa is being very patient sitting on their hoard of picks.

With all due respect to Salinitri, I don’t think that he would crack our top six when everyone is healthy.

I’d rather see Hancock, Maksimovich, Brazeau and/or Saigeon and would happily pay more as they would all be true difference makers.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me that the deals have been done and they are just waiting.

For instance, Dipietro would be a deal that they have to make then he has to OK. I would think that they may have already gotten a deal sort of finalized but are waiting for the WJC to finish how many of what picks.

Niagara has made their moves and could make another but I doubt it. Oshawa is still trying to figure out if it is a seller or buyer.

We, on the other hand, are pretty good with what we have.

Sarnia may be competition for Dipietro they have a goaltender defence problem.

I assume we lose Chem to the WJC so it will be interesting to see who steps up.

Might be a good time for Tolnai to start showing his stuff

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The good thing about Salinitri is we have now established the bar for OA’s. I figured for Saigeon it would cost two 2nds and a 3rd plus maybe a 5th. So with Salinitri going for the two 2nds and a 4th, the expected return/cost for Saigeon would be about accurate and very doable.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The good thing about Salinitri is we have now established the bar for OA’s. I figured for Saigeon it would cost two 2nds and a 3rd plus maybe a 5th. So with Salinitri going for the two 2nds and a 4th, the expected return/cost for Saigeon would be about accurate and very doable.

OMG, I hope you re right BUT I have to think the price for Saigon will be higher. I think more teams will be interested in him so it may raise the price a bit.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me that the deals have been done and they are just waiting.

For instance, Dipietro would be a deal that they have to make then he has to OK. I would think that they may have already gotten a deal sort of finalized but are waiting for the WJC to finish how many of what picks.

Niagara has made their moves and could make another but I doubt it. Oshawa is still trying to figure out if it is a seller or buyer.

Sarnia will not be going for dipietro, he will cost way too much and sarnia isn’t really a top end contender, if they had a good goalie they could be in the thick of things but I think london takes the west, sarnia will build for the 2020-21 season while trying to stay competitive this year and next. They will sell a few players this year and a few next , but they won’t sell the farm

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The interesting part of what we’ve seen so far is even though the standings are somewhat tight, there aren’t a lot of traditional buyers in the thick of things.

We’ve seen Oshawa make a move as well as Niagara. We can now assume it is a three team race with Oshawa, Niagara and Ottawa. Sudbury is right there but they aren’t necessarily blessed with picks, they pretty much have their regular alotttment.

In the West, it seems like everyone has backed away from London a bit. It seems as though Guelph will want to make a push. They have a few extra picks but not a lot. It seems unlikely that SSM buys. They may stay status quo and run out the season and see what happens.

So, right now, we have a few interesting potential sellers. If SSM decides to sell and Mississauga decides to sell, we could end up with a few extra stud players not he market and that could drive down deadline prices a bit. Niagara and Oshawa have already spent some currency so they won’t be big players now, maybe add one additional piece each.

It just seems like this year the league is taking a pass. There isn’t much going on. There are only two teams int he CHL Top 10 and no other teams really pressing. It feels like with the exception of Oshawa and Niagara, no one wants to really push Ottawa or London. That may create a buyers market.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls

Niagara will make more moves without a doubt. Theye're all in. The picks they just got for Ham will be flipped for an OA at some point. It's just a matter of if they go as far as trading Tomasino and/or Moore come deadline time.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
I cannot see the DiPietro deal going down until after the world juniors and ottawa is sure he doesnt get injured

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I cannot see the DiPietro deal going down until after the world juniors and ottawa is sure he doesnt get injured

I think it is more than that. I think WR wants to see if he can pull a 1st rounder out in a deal. HE will have to wait until after the WJHC to see.

Again, I don’t see Tolnai being moved because of the sheer number of picks we have. Andree has not slowed down and the team in front of him is playing well. That combination would suggest they wouldn’t sacrifice Tolnai in that deal. Ottawa does need a goalie but not that badly.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think it is more than that. I think WR wants to see if he can pull a 1st rounder out in a deal. HE will have to wait until after the WJHC to see.

Again, I don’t see Tolnai being moved because of the sheer number of picks we have. Andree has not slowed down and the team in front of him is playing well. That combination would suggest they wouldn’t sacrifice Tolnai in that deal. Ottawa does need a goalie but not that badly.

I think the key is SSM if they decide not to go for it this year and just make the playoffs then Villalta could be on offer and if that is the case themDipietro value plummets. Ottawa needs a goalie to help take the load off Andree Villalta would also fit that bill and he has the experience and might not mind platooning with Andree.

There are a few ways that Rychell can screw it up if he asks for too much. Let's face it if he asks for too much Ottawa could make SSM a deal they could not refuse or go for a backup like Propp.

Reactions: windsor7

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I can see WR ending up with DiPietro for the whole year. The demand I can't see being too astronomical as most teams do not have the draft picks available even if they are going for it this season. London, Niagara, Oshawa already have adequate goaltending.

The asking price of 8 2nds plus Tolnai or a second year player such as Clarke/Quinn I wouldn't even contemplate.

We may have to go with a couple of good overage forwards and a pp quarterback type defenseman should one become avaiable.

Goaltending is a priority but their just might not be anything available which would be of real value and affordable. Propp would be an option I would keep open.

I have my doubts about DiPietro coming here as WR likes playing games and could lose out on valuable picks for the feature. We can't hold on forever unless something reasonable has already been agreed upon.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can see WR ending up with DiPietro for the whole year. The demand I can't see being too astronomical as most teams do not have the draft picks available even if they are going for it this season. London, Niagara, Oshawa already have adequate goaltending.

The asking price of 8 2nds plus Tolnai or a second year player such as Clarke/Quinn I wouldn't even contemplate.

We may have to go with a couple of good overage forwards and a pp quarterback type defenseman should one become avaiable.

Goaltending is a priority but their just might not be anything available which would be of real value and affordable. Propp would be an option I would keep open.

I have my doubts about DiPietro coming here as WR likes playing games and could lose out on valuable picks for the feature. We can't hold on forever unless something reasonable has already been agreed upon.

Just because there was a rumour of an offer of eight 2nds and then WR apparently deciding if he wants An '02 as well doesn't mean it's eight 2nds plus the '02. It could certainly $ean he wants the '02 and will counter the offer to include less picks.

No one is stupid enough to ask for eight 2nds plus a first rounder and no one is stupid enough to give it. So, to me, that rumour was incomplete in detail.

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Just because there was a rumour of an offer of eight 2nds and then WR apparently deciding if he wants An '02 as well doesn't mean it's eight 2nds plus the '02. It could certainly $ean he wants the '02 and will counter the offer to include less picks.

No one is stupid enough to ask for eight 2nds plus a first rounder and no one is stupid enough to give it. So, to me, that rumour was incomplete in detail.

Doubt it is 8 2nds, seems more likely 8 picks total, with a few 2nds, 3rds in some combo.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Doubt it is 8 2nds, seems more likely 8 picks total, with a few 2nds, 3rds in some combo.
I do not actually think that Boyd or any other GM would be that stupid.

I am just saying that we really may have to look elsewhere for our additions. Rychel will have to be reasonable if he wants to deal and we may be the only interested party.

I hope we use our picks wisely and we don't miss out on some good opportunities.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I do not actually think that Boyd or any other GM would be that stupid.

I am just saying that we really may have to look elsewhere for our additions. Rychel will have to be reasonable if he wants to deal and we may be the only interested party.

I hope we use our picks wisely and we don't miss out on some good opportunities.

All I was really saying was that we shouldn’t throw out that incomplete rumour when making an arguement. We are all reasonably certain that WR does not have an offer in hand that is eight 2nds straight up for DiPietro.

If there is an offer in hand, there are clearly more players involved leaving Windsor in that deal. And, if WR is considering the ‘02 or special ‘01 it doesn’t mean that would be in addition to the eight 2nds.

I just think if we are going to use that as a measuring stick in an arguement, it invalidates the arguement because we would be making decisions based on incomplete information.

I agree with Tarantula that there may be eight picks, four of which could be 2nds and three 3rds and a 5th. IT seems more reasonable and on par with trades for other star 19 year old skaters.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
All I was really saying was that we shouldn’t throw out that incomplete rumour when making an arguement. We are all reasonably certain that WR does not have an offer in hand that is eight 2nds straight up for DiPietro.

If there is an offer in hand, there are clearly more players involved leaving Windsor in that deal. And, if WR is considering the ‘02 or special ‘01 it doesn’t mean that would be in addition to the eight 2nds.

I just think if we are going to use that as a measuring stick in an arguement, it invalidates the arguement because we would be making decisions based on incomplete information.

I agree with Tarantula that there may be eight picks, four of which could be 2nds and three 3rds and a 5th. IT seems more reasonable and on par with trades for other star 19 year old skaters.

I am just using that rumor as an example that we should not overpay for DiPietro.

We require additional players such as Hancock, Saigeon, Brazeau, etc to be really competitive with the other top end teams.

We could also could use a PP quarterback which you mentioned previously OMG.

We have a ton of draft picks but nobody knows how the bidding will go for these other players.

This is what I think and you can agree or disagree as is your right.

Last edited:

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Are there any 67's fans on here that are planning on attending the December December 15th game against Owen Sound.

I'll be making the trip to TD Place for only the second time in my travels of this league.

If so PM on here I have made many travels to see the Attack play on the road and over the years to almost every city in the league multiple times expect for a few in each conference.

AS,

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
The 2019 OHL draft class is reported to be weak. There are some high end players but very thin. Holding all of those top 100 picks in a weak year is not ideal. Do you think that may factor into things, with teams wanting known commodities rather than picks from a weak group?

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Hi from an Attack fan. Let's throw this potential deal out there, wondering what the 67's fans might think? These two quality players may indeed put the 67's over the top!!

To Ottawa; 98/C - #16 Hancock + 98/RD - #5 Durzi
To Owen Sound; 01/RW - Quinn + 01/LD Peric + MISS 2'nd/19 + WSR 2'nd/20 + OS 2'nd/21 + PBO 3'rd/19 + OS 3'rd/20 + SSM 3'rd/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad