Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 24, 2018
I truly enjoyed watching Killer hockey teams and I would say this years team is just as enjoyable to watch as the teams of the glory seasons of past.
I just hope Boyd doesn’t screw up and pay to much and he better not trade away a player . Just use the picks we have surplus and see what we can do.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

You have to remember that most of Killers time was with Howard and Earl.
The name of the game was not to win Memorial Cups so much as it was to keep a winning team that brought in the fans. Yeah, I know they didn't bring in the big numbers.
But never the less he went with the attitude that if you played your best for him then he would be loyal and give you all the skill that he could.

You can not fault the fact that every year we could count on the team to be competitive.

I do agree though times have changed and loyalty of a coach or GM to fans players and families is no longer a paramount item.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well very good game last night between two good teams. Continue to be so impressed by the poles they are strong on the puck and relentless. They outplayed Oshawa after the first ten minutes and kept the pace despite playing three lines. Andree was very good but difference in the game was Keiser...stellar. Heck of a goalie. Ottawa had best chances and hit three posts. Kinda funny they scored on their first shot of game and I commented to my buddy keiser's save % was not looking good....ah well need to learn to shut up.

GensBrandon

Dec 19, 2015
Well very good game last night between two good teams. Continue to be so impressed by the poles they are strong on the puck and relentless. They outplayed Oshawa after the first ten minutes and kept the pace despite playing three lines. Andree was very good but difference in the game was Keiser...stellar. Heck of a goalie. Ottawa had best chances and hit three posts. Kinda funny they scored on their first shot of game and I commented to my buddy keiser's save % was not looking good....ah well need to learn to shut up.

Please, fact check... it's Keyser.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

You have to remember that most of Killers time was with Howard and Earl.
The name of the game was not to win Memorial Cups so much as it was to keep a winning team that brought in the fans. Yeah, I know they didn't bring in the big numbers.
But never the less he went with the attitude that if you played your best for him then he would be loyal and give you all the skill that he could.

You can not fault the fact that every year we could count on the team to be competitive.

I do agree though times have changed and loyalty of a coach or GM to fans players and families is no longer a paramount item.

The attendance for the Earl teams were brutal. It consisted mostly of elderly. 2200 on a Friday and 130 in a Sunday was normal.

Attendance now is what it is. It will not change until we have a superstar like a McDavid that gets tremendous national press. The move to CTC killed what little support we had left.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

This is the exact reason why having a goalie that can simply win a game outright is an advantage.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Why does it seem the fan base wants to trade for a goalie? How do you tell the goalie who is backstopping the number 2 ranked team in the CHL he is now a backup? Would it affect the dressing room or team chemistry? For those who follow the team closely maybe they know why but I do not. Your team appears to be the team to beat right now.

Reactions: three dog night

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Elliotte Friedman listed Andre Tourigny as one of the coaches who might get interviews for the open NHL jobs. Thinks teams are placing an emphasis on coaches who can work with young players.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Why does it seem the fan base wants to trade for a goalie? How do you tell the goalie who is backstopping the number 2 ranked team in the CHL he is now a backup? Would it affect the dressing room or team chemistry? For those who follow the team closely maybe they know why but I do not. Your team appears to be the team to beat right noe.

Because as well as Andree has played, he has no playoff experience. Are you really going to rely on him to win you a championship?

I don't think acquiring another goalie is going to harm Andree at all. He's only 18. He'll have two more years after this, hopefully in Ottawa, to be the number 1 in the playoffs. I think people are severely overestimating "team chemistry". The players aren't stupid, they know when adding to the team is a good thing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Because as well as Andree has played, he has no playoff experience. Are you really going to rely on him to win you a championship?

I don't think acquiring another goalie is going to harm Andree at all. He's only 18. He'll have two more years after this, hopefully in Ottawa, to be the number 1 in the playoffs. I think people are severely overestimating "team chemistry". The players aren't stupid, they know when adding to the team is a good thing.

100%

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
This is the exact reason why having a goalie that can simply win a game outright is an advantage.
It’s more than that it’s crucial for a run. My two cents after watching the 67’s over the last weekend is they must upgrade that position. Time will tell.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Zaluty as you know from experience in K town you can not run with one goaltender all year and expect him to shine in the playoffs.

Ottawa needs another goaltender but will have to platoon whoever they get with Andree. That will allow both goalies to get the game experience and will also allow for a fresher more rested goaltender in the playoffs.

Even if we get Dipietro I think after all the games he has played it still would be best if they platooned him with Andree. The one thing I see is that goalies come back from the WJC pressure cooker and then get thrown into the playoff race. Get him if the price is right and platoon him with Andree.

Andree is not going to be a backup like Kingston has he is going to be a back up that will get into games and will play a lot.

If not then I agree they have wasted him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Zaluty as you know from experience in K town you can not run with one goaltender all year and expect him to shine in the playoffs.

Ottawa needs another goaltender but will have to platoon whoever they get with Andree. That will allow both goalies to get the game experience and will also allow for a fresher more rested goaltender in the playoffs.

Even if we get Dipietro I think after all the games he has played it still would be best if they platooned him with Andree. The one thing I see is that goalies come back from the WJC pressure cooker and then get thrown into the playoff race. Get him if the price is right and platoon him with Andree.

Andree is not going to be a backup like Kingston has he is going to be a back up that will get into games and will play a lot.

If DiPietro is in Ottawas he will play at least 2 of 3 games.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

What exactly are you referring to? Is it Helvig tired from over use; or, by the playoff series Hamilton exposed Helvig for (always) using his blocker or pad to redirect the puck to the right boards instead of killing the play?
I agree that (unlike what KGN did) if Andree is to become the back up, he needs to play often so he & team & coach have confidence if needed in playoffs; and, for his development towards being an unquestioned #1 for the next two seasons.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
In 2010, when the Spitfires brought in Philip Grubauer to team with Troy Passingham, Grubauer played 19 games for Windsor down the stretch. My guess is that's roughly 60% of the games, though Passingham played in 50 games total for the Spitfires. It's a similar situation with Ottawa this year; Andree is doing very well but could use the veteran help. It says nothing about Andree's abilities, or lack thereof, and would actually help him down the road.

Reactions: HockeyPops

three dog night

May 3, 2014
The only disappointment is the crowd size I know it was a mid week game but thought a few more people will come out.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Dirty Kingston always plays the ass off their number 1 goalie and leaves the back up on the bench. They do it every year.

Even if they get Andree in a third of the games it is still better than sitting his ass on the bench

I think the smart thing to do would give Dipietro time to recuperate from the WJC and then start playing him Him on Friday Andree Saturday type deal

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
I think the smart thing to do would be to not trade for Dipietro at all. Again, goaltending is the least of our needs and Dipietro has never won a playoff series himself. I don't get the obsession with him over Andree. Theoretically he'd be better in the playoffs? Seriously?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I find it a bad idea to have Wednesday games. I have made it to only one. Friday’s and Sunday afternoons are my preferences .
In the Soo our mid-season attendance is 4000-4100 for Fri & Sat night games on weekends; our many Wednesday games turn out around 3700. Logistics is surely in our favor as I am sure 95% of our fans live within 15 minutes from the rink.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the smart thing to do would be to not trade for Dipietro at all. Again, goaltending is the least of our needs and Dipietro has never won a playoff series himself. I don't get the obsession with him over Andree. Theoretically he'd be better in the playoffs? Seriously?

Him not winning a playoff series is no reason to not trade for him. There's only so much a goalie can do. His playoff numbers the last two seasons speak for themselves:

2017 - 2.48 & .917 (lost to London who had a 46-15-3-4 record - 99 points)
2018 - 2.81 & .934 (lost to Sarnia who had a 46-17-4-1 record - 97 points)
In both series they entered as the underdog with the opposing team having home ice advantage.

If he were to be in an Ottawa uniform and put up those types of numbers this year in the playoffs, I don't think there is anyone that would suggest we'd lose a series if we were healthy. I believe our offense would routinely score 3 goals per game.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In the Soo our mid-season attendance is 4000-4100 for Fri & Sat night games on weekends; our many Wednesday games turn out around 3700. Logistics is surely in our favor as I am sure 95% of our fans live within 15 minutes from the rink.

The 67's attendance numbers rely on giving free tickets away to kids that play minor hockey. Parents aren't bringing their kids to the rink on Wednesday's.

I'd like to know what Ottawa's PAID attendance is. Every game we get 3000 fans, maybe 800 are STH and about 30% of the rest are free tickets. I'd say the PAID attendance for every 3000 announced game is 2300.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Him not winning a playoff series is no reason to not trade for him. There's only so much a goalie can do. His playoff numbers the last two seasons speak for themselves:

2017 - 2.48 & .917 (lost to London who had a 46-15-3-4 record - 99 points)
2018 - 2.81 & .934 (lost to Sarnia who had a 46-17-4-1 record - 97 points)
In both series they entered as the underdog with the opposing team having home ice advantage.

If he were to be in an Ottawa uniform and put up those types of numbers this year in the playoffs, I don't think there is anyone that would suggest we'd lose a series if we were healthy. I believe our offense would routinely score 3 goals per game.

LOL I think he's reading the Windsor board too much. DiPietro did everything he could to single-handedly win those series.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
The 67's attendance numbers rely on giving free tickets away to kids that play minor hockey. Parents aren't bringing their kids to the rink on Wednesday's.

I'd like to know what Ottawa's PAID attendance is. Every game we get 3000 fans, maybe 800 are STH and about 30% of the rest are free tickets. I'd say the PAID attendance for every 3000 announced game is 2300.

The 'Prospects' program (bring your kid for free if you pay as an adult) ended last season. 67's have a new Minor Hockey Experience package that cost $1,000 for 100 tickets. I'm not saying there aren't freebies in various forms but the free kids thing is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->