Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Lines tonight I think
Keats/Rossi/Felh
Maks/Chem/Quinn
Chiodo/Bitten/Clark
Tolnai/Hoelscher/Clarke
You can't touch that first line and Tourigny hit with that third line yesterday instant chemistry. Chiodo is the playmaker for the other two physical players. The one line that didn't click last night was Maks/Hoel/Quinn so in goes Chem. I put Yule as scratch tonight as I want to play him against Guelph who' a big (huge) team up front and sit Tolnai tomorrow. Man this is fun doing the lines with this group!

Reactions: three dog night

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Question for the old f... on the board. I'm looking at this team on paper and I can't remember an edition of the 67's as deep or talented on paper. For reference I started following them in 1998. Imo the two that were the closest were 1999 obviously and the last year of Toffoli/Prince/Mrazek etc...( 2012 I think). 1999 was a different era as you didn't see the all out arms race at the deadline you see now, teams might add one or two key guys or depth guys. 2012 we made two key acquisitions Mcfarlane and a center...Italian name I forget. Unfortunatly Mcfarlane got injured and with Zanetti's brain fart Niagara took us out. Anyway thoughts on where this edition stands on talent/depth as performance remains to be seen.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Out of curiosity, do you watch the actual games?

Wilson and Okhotyuk have had great years and are a combined +32, while Merrill Rippon is +31 himself. IMO Lucas Peric is the most underrated player on this team, he reminds me a lot of Hoefenmayer two years ago but doesn’t get as much ice time as Hoef did because of the team’s great depth.

Yes I do watch a fair amount of OTT games. Respectfully, the +/- means absolutely nothing to me. Last night is why. Wilson +4 last night in one night because the OTT offence lights up a bad team. But that doesn’t mean they’ll be able to defend the elite Fs of niagara

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yes I do watch a fair amount of OTT games. Respectfully, the +/- means absolutely nothing to me. Last night is why. Wilson +4 last night in one night because the OTT offence lights up a bad team. But that doesn’t mean they’ll be able to defend the elite Fs of niagara
At the end of the day Niagara will get their goals as they have very talented offense but we will get ours also. Question is which defense will limit the other the most. Anyways I am not assuming a Nia/Ott east final. I can easily see the Gens there after their moves. I actually fear the Gens a bit more than Niagara because of Keiser. So imo Osh/Ott east final is a possibility not to be overlooked. I do think Ottawa will be there as it looks good to get the first seed at this point which helps as quite a drop between the top 3 and the rest imo.

Hmrs

Oct 30, 2018
Question for the old f... on the board. I'm looking at this team on paper and I can't remember an edition of the 67's as deep or talented on paper. For reference I started following them in 1998. Imo the two that were the closest were 1999 obviously and the last year of Toffoli/Prince/Mrazek etc...( 2012 I think). 1999 was a different era as you didn't see the all out arms race at the deadline you see now, teams might add one or two key guys or depth guys. 2012 we made two key acquisitions Mcfarlane and a center...Italian name I forget. Unfortunatly Mcfarlane got injured and with Zanetti's brain fart Niagara took us out. Anyway thoughts on where this edition stands on talent/depth as performance remains to be seen.
Mike Cazzola he came over from Erie

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Remember, the best defense is a good forecheck. I have no idea what the possession and O-zone stats are for the 67's but from the eyeball test their defense is rarely taxed for long periods of time. Will that change against the better teams and in the playoffs? Of course, but 20 minutes of holding the blueline and pinching, neutral-zone regroups and re-entries is far easier on the body than pure defending and failed exits often caused by fatigue. Barring any significant injury the 67's D core should be just fine.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Last night was too easy I' m almost hoping they lose one of the next two so it dampens a bit the euphoria post trade deadline. Teams needs reminders its not gonna be easy

If they are going to lose one I pick Sunday in Guelph. Really want them to beat London today. I think 3-in-3 would be an alright statement though!

Think they name a captain now that the deadline is past? Felhaber? Other A's are Hoefenmayer and Wilson.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If they are going to lose one I pick Sunday in Guelph. Really want them to beat London today. I think 3-in-3 would be an alright statement though!

Think they name a captain now that the deadline is past? Felhaber? Other A's are Hoefenmayer and Wilson.
My choice would be Keating personally although Chem or Felhaber would be fine.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My choice would be Keating personally although Chem or Felhaber would be fine.

I say don’t name a Captain. That has worked just fine so far. I don’t believe anyone really stands out.

If I am being completely honest, if Maksimovich truely stands out as he has his entire career, he would be the de facto leader int he room I believe. So naming a true “Ottawa” captain isn’t really that important.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
I’s also suggest Niagara was the team that needed a defensive upgrade. They get flustered a lot by speed and Ottawa is the type of team that will expose that. Brassard is OK but it’s not like he’s had success this year with Ottawa. He was getting undressed by 16 year old Jr A players last game. The more interesting question is to ask Niagara fans how they will stop the 67’s with that defense....

You won’t find any Niagara’s fans on this board, but, as an observer of many games, they seem to struggle with speed teams, backchecking issues from, #44, #13 and #19. Roberts would be their fasted D-man, and does a fair share trying to break up the odd man rushes. They have two very tall defencemen in Paquette and Bukac and have very long sticks, but, in my opinion they are not the fastest of skaters, and, those little swift and fast forwards they seem to struggle against. Dhillon handles the first shot well, and then it’s a collapse to defend in front of their net. Quick releases high glove on Dhillon is the way, that and obviously making that accurate pass shot into the empty net on the two on ones, he is a big boy and covers the net will in tight, especially up high when on his knees, his lateral movement is sluggish at best. He will give up a bad goal in most games so, it’s like starting the game 1-0.
They have added a shooter on the point now in Brassard on their power play, prior to that Burke didn’t trust any of his D to man the PP and threw up 5 forwards which cause for many short handed attempts, DH is good 1-1. You will need to limit their PP chances, or, take someone with you like #13 for example, he can be a bit knumb in the brain and can be goatee on a retaliation penalty. He is by far the easiest to throw off his game, Jones can be the same way as well, but, they can come back and put the puck in the net once they’d get back on the ice.
They have all the stars, now it’s time for the coaching to put it all together. The coach is the owners son, so, just making a point, as I feel the players don’t really respect him or his lack of experience as I believe he is a softy, good place to finish your OHL career.

Let me know if you need any more thoughts. We are all 67’s fans this year, except for this afternoon. Lol
Enjoy the game.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
DwvE2EnW0AIEefx.jpg:large

Reactions: LDN

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
You won’t find any Niagara’s fans on this board,.

Haha! The Dogs have Ottawa's number in the playoffs. They just can't beat them when it counts. The Dogs sent a clear message to the chokers from the East on New Year's Eve so it must be the back of their minds that they might have to face Niagara again! lol

#anybodybutthe67s

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67's down 1-0 after having a 2 man PP, Knights also have hit post twice

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Haha! The Dogs have Ottawa's number in the playoffs. They just can't beat them when it counts. The Dogs sent a clear message to the chokers from the East on New Year's Eve so it must be the back of their minds that they might have to face Niagara again! lol

#anybodybutthe67s
Eliminate Ottawa a few times in the postseason beat them for theEast Championship in 2012

Reactions: General Zodd

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
Rossi just got hammered. He bounced back and was on next shift. Kid has a ton of heart. My fav player in the O for sure

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
down 3-2 Chemelevski led a 3 0n 1 but shot high resulting in a 3 on 1 the other way which resulted in a goal

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Good team you have there...would be an amazing series if these teams met in the finals...you guys seem to be able to play any style of game...speed, size and skill are all on this 67's team...tomorrow is a big game for you guys...I appreciate that you guys didnt spend a ton this season and I can see why...there was no reason to break the chemistry....you guys will be good for a while with so many good 00's, 01's and 02's

Reactions: Drop the Puck

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good game today but the Knights were the slightly better team. Moskal's line did a great job against our #1 line. First time I recall this year they were shutdown like that. Good learning experience for that trio. Let's see if they play a bit pi... off tomorrow.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Ottawa the year before 1996-97. They had 3 main lines that could roll with anyone and a 4th line that hurt you. Defense was also solid. The only problem was the lack of a true number 1 goaltender and injuries.

I think that we are going to find that London Ottawa should be the final a lot will depend on injuries. In previous years this team had depended on one goalie this year is different in that they have 2 that can hurt another team so can rest one in a playoff series and still be good.

The PUPPIES have traded away the future for this year so there is a lot of pressure on them. It will depend on who plays who in what round. Right now Niagara would be up against Oshawa and that could be a physical series.

If they leave these lines alone then it will be a good time in Ottawa they have the ability to now roll 4 lines that can score or shut you down. That, in the long run, is a bonus. Also, the ability to put a 4th line that can be physical out on the ice in a short playoff series will be huge. It will wear down a team that can not skate or enjoy the physical aspect.

Reactions: sirius67fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad