Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Did we even make it to two pages last year?

Can you imagine how many replies there will be if Ottawa gets Dipietro, Boka and Douglas for 3 x 2nd rounders and a 9th? ;)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Crazy price for Dipietro
There are other goalies available. Other. Very. Good. Goalies.

It's no coincidence the Greyhounds haven't won in regulation in 5 games while Villalta recovers and win all the time when he plays...

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I doubt that tweet is accurate, but if it is, I hope to god Ottawa isn't the team making that offer.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If Ottawa is making that deal then Boyd needs to go.

This is stupidity at its worst.

Again Dipietro is good he is the best goalie available but this team does not need to be thinking one and done we need the M CUP. That is the last thing they need to be doing from a business standpoint. They need t to consider that they are at this stage the class of the league. They are the best. They do not need to sell the farm to get better they just need to make a few role player acquisitions.

A good goalie is a must.

A good grinder and body person to assist the others is a good thing and a player that can assist in making us have 2 power play units to be afraid of is the other.

Besides that, we really need nothing for the next 3-4 years

OMG I have never disagreed that Dipietro is the man that we need just do not think you can play him every game. I would love to see a platoon with Andree and Dipietro but not at this so-called price

Let's see who it is and pray that it is not us.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There are other goalies available. Other. Very. Good. Goalies.

It's no coincidence the Greyhounds haven't won in regulation in 5 games while Villalta recovers and win all the time when he plays...

YUP!

But, if SSM stays int he hunt, I don't think they will trade him and if they do, they would probably want Andree and I wouldn't do that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I doubt that tweet is accurate, but if it is, I hope to god Ottawa isn't the team making that offer.

I can see EIGHT PICKS and a PLAYER but not all 2nds. That is just silly beyond measure.

If there are EIGHT PICKS and it was this:
Three 2nds
Three 3rds
One 4th
One 5th
Quinn Yule

I could see that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Ottawa is making that deal then Boyd needs to go.

This is stupidity at its worst.

Again Dipietro is good he is the best goalie available but this team does not need to be thinking one and done we need the M CUP. That is the last thing they need to be doing from a business standpoint. They need t to consider that they are at this stage the class of the league. They are the best. They do not need to sell the farm to get better they just need to make a few role player acquisitions.

A good goalie is a must.

A good grinder and body person to assist the others is a good thing and a player that can assist in making us have 2 power play units to be afraid of is the other.

Besides that, we really need nothing for the next 3-4 years

OMG I have never disagreed that Dipietro is the man that we need just do not think you can play him every game. I would love to see a platoon with Andree and Dipietro but not at this so-called price

Let's see who it is and pray that it is not us.

This is where you and I differ COMPLETELY.

You are a Kilrea Disciple. What I mean by that is simple. When I was on the 67's message board getting torn to shreds by the other Disciples for criticizing Kilrea for not enhancing the team with anything other than local boy project claims for mid round picks while we were the class of the league and watching other teams trade past us, we finished as Bridesmaids as "runners up" in 1997, 1998, 2003 and 2005. We won in 2001 and that was the ONE YEAR we actually made a buyer move and traded Wharton for Staubitz, but only because Wharton demanded a trade. On top of that, we should have made moves in 1996 and 1999 but we didn't and that lack of depth killed us as the playoffs wore on. And for that, I was getting shredded. That is why my nickname is OMG (OneManGang!) because I stood alone. Low and behold, didn't most end up coming around and agreeing after five or six years! People started to suggest Killer was behind the times as a GM.

Now, we can have a different discussion about the reason why we finished 2nd was because we kept assets but losing in the Finals all the time sucked A$$! I will trade all four of those FINALS appearance losses for one more OHL Championship and Memorial Cup birth.

So here we are now. Generally speaking, we agree on what the trade values should be and what is acceptable but we still differ on philosophy. The problem I have with your line of reasoning is that you are slanting towards not wanting to do what you know is right because of the rumoured prices as opposed to objectifying what the price should be and assessing whether it should be done at that ceiling of a price.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that if the price is something that includes Tolnai or Quinn, Peric or Clarke plus a boat load of picks we should not entertain it. But, if it were something like Four 2nds and Three 3rds, I can swallow that. We'd still have a full compliment of picks in each draft plus some extras so it is not like we'd be emptying the cupboard. We'd still have all the returning players for next year. We'd still have pick assets to toss around next year if it looked like our returning players formed a nucleus that made sense. Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball. I cannot say whether KEating will be back as an OA. I cannot say Andree isn't just a flash in the pan on a good run. I cannot say guys like Maggio and Tolnai will take a giant leap forward. But what I do know is this current team is the #2 in the Country and with a couple shrewd moves that wont kill our future, we can solidify our shot this year when we know the iron is hot.

At the risk of sounding crass, it is like spending $500 on three dates trying to get laid when $300 on a Pro works just fine! Maybe after the $500 you invested you get laid all the time but a bird in hand is sometimes better than two in the bush! :naughty:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Agree with OMG get him if the price is close to market value. Then we still have enough to fill in our OA spots. Hopefully we move soon on those now that Rossi is out for a while as we could use the help. At least its not season ending and if he gets surgery soon he's likely back early february allowing for one month of rehab. At his age recoup from that type of injury is good...especially he's not a baseball pitcher.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
YUP!

But, if SSM stays int he hunt, I don't think they will trade him and if they do, they would probably want Andree and I wouldn't do that.
SSM is in a slide since Villalta's minor injury has kept him sidelined these 6 games, and I think everyone's rose coloured glasses are finally coming off. No idea what Raftis is contemplating, but I do know we have two great young goalies in the pipeline (Ethan Taylor and Owen Parker), plus we now have a '99 in Peccia who can return for an overage year and help while our young goalies get their feet wet. It would not surprise me if Raftis was willing to trade Villalta without getting Andree in return. Three way trades are also possible though more difficult to orchestrate.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
I heard that rogers Ottawa have cut back on programing this year.

OHL Live shows the game in tonight's menu. They don't have their own equipment and pick up the local (Rogers) broadcast. Having said that, Rogers Sports Pack doesn't have the game on its menu so who knows?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
SSM is in a slide since Villalta's minor injury has kept him sidelined these 6 games, and I think everyone's rose coloured glasses are finally coming off. No idea what Raftis is contemplating, but I do know we have two great young goalies in the pipeline (Ethan Taylor and Owen Parker), plus we now have a '99 in Peccia who can return for an overage year and help while our young goalies get their feet wet. It would not surprise me if Raftis was willing to trade Villalta without getting Andree in return. Three way trades are also possible though more difficult to orchestrate.

Well, if Villata were available in that one 2nd, one 3rd and one 5th range, I'd be all over it. Anything more and we'd probably have to consider other options until the market was fully accessible.

Sep 24, 2018
The best plan for a goalie trade would be to wait as long as possible in order to make Windsor or whom ever we trade with a bit nervous that they won’t get anything.
We aren’t in a hurry here.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This is where you and I differ COMPLETELY.

You are a Kilrea Disciple. What I mean by that is simple. When I was on the 67's message board getting torn to shreds by the other Disciples for criticizing Kilrea for not enhancing the team with anything other than local boy project claims for mid round picks while we were the class of the league and watching other teams trade past us, we finished as Bridesmaids as "runners up" in 1997, 1998, 2003 and 2005. We won in 2001 and that was the ONE YEAR we actually made a buyer move and traded Wharton for Staubitz, but only because Wharton demanded a trade. On top of that, we should have made moves in 1996 and 1999 but we didn't and that lack of depth killed us as the playoffs wore on. And for that, I was getting shredded. That is why my nickname is OMG (OneManGang!) because I stood alone. Low and behold, didn't most end up coming around and agreeing after five or six years! People started to suggest Killer was behind the times as a GM.

Now, we can have a different discussion about the reason why we finished 2nd was because we kept assets but losing in the Finals all the time sucked A$$! I will trade all four of those FINALS appearance losses for one more OHL Championship and Memorial Cup birth.

So here we are now. Generally speaking, we agree on what the trade values should be and what is acceptable but we still differ on philosophy. The problem I have with your line of reasoning is that you are slanting towards not wanting to do what you know is right because of the rumoured prices as opposed to objectifying what the price should be and assessing whether it should be done at that ceiling of a price.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that if the price is something that includes Tolnai or Quinn, Peric or Clarke plus a boat load of picks we should not entertain it. But, if it were something like Four 2nds and Three 3rds, I can swallow that. We'd still have a full compliment of picks in each draft plus some extras so it is not like we'd be emptying the cupboard. We'd still have all the returning players for next year. We'd still have pick assets to toss around next year if it looked like our returning players formed a nucleus that made sense. Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball. I cannot say whether KEating will be back as an OA. I cannot say Andree isn't just a flash in the pan on a good run. I cannot say guys like Maggio and Tolnai will take a giant leap forward. But what I do know is this current team is the #2 in the Country and with a couple shrewd moves that wont kill our future, we can solidify our shot this year when we know the iron is hot.

At the risk of sounding crass, it is like spending $500 on three dates trying to get laid when $300 on a Pro works just fine! Maybe after the $500 you invested you get laid all the time but a bird in hand is sometimes better than two in the bush! :naughty:

OMG
Of course, I am a Killer disciple. I will never EVER disown him.

My thought is very much like yours.

1. if we can get a good goalie at a good price then go for it no matter who it is. The trade you outlined makes sense.
2. It would be nice to have an M CUP game under the belt.

My point of contention is not so much from a win the CUP than it is WIN the Cup and suck for 5 more years.

You and I have both been here long enough to know that the one thing Ottawa fans hate is a losing pathetic team.

The 67's, in my opinion, screwed themselves by moving out to Kanata. Also, they have a had a few years of mediocre to useless hockey teams.

What I am saying is from a business standpoint. Remember I was also around for the Howard Earl Years.

I do not want to see them pull a Gilmour Agnew and trade the world leaving the cupboard bare.

There are good deals to be made. I would love to see this team develop the London style of developing. Let's face it that is a winning solution.

If we are always a contender and we can get good players then we will also build back the rep that Ottawa had that made us so popular with NHL teams.

That is my only thought

We have the making of a team that can be competitive every year for the near future. Why screw it up?

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG
Of course, I am a Killer disciple. I will never EVER disown him.

My thought is very much like yours.

1. if we can get a good goalie at a good price then go for it no matter who it is. The trade you outlined makes sense.
2. It would be nice to have an M CUP game under the belt.

My point of contention is not so much from a win the CUP than it is WIN the Cup and suck for 5 more years.

You and I have both been here long enough to know that the one thing Ottawa fans hate is a losing pathetic team.

The 67's, in my opinion, screwed themselves by moving out to Kanata. Also, they have a had a few years of mediocre to useless hockey teams.

What I am saying is from a business standpoint. Remember I was also around for the Howard Earl Years.

I do not want to see them pull a Gilmour Agnew and trade the world leaving the cupboard bare.

There are good deals to be made. I would love to see this team develop the London style of developing. Let's face it that is a winning solution.

If we are always a contender and we can get good players then we will also build back the rep that Ottawa had that made us so popular with NHL teams.

That is my only thought

We have the making of a team that can be competitive every year for the near future. Why screw it up?

Like I say, principally we agree. I'm just a little more cavalier. Also, I still feel Killer was the best junior coach of all times hands down, no question. I just didn't think his ability as a GM matched his coaching. He was a little too loyal for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad