OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
By trading down to the Stellers for Devin Bush and using a 4th and 6th to trade up in the 2nd round the Broncos netted:

Noah Fant TE (1/20 '19)
Drew Lock QB (2/42 '19)
Lloyd Cushenberry III C (3/83 '20)

If Elway had just took Lock with the 10th and set fire to the two late round picks would anyone be unhappy?

Patrick Queen fell in the draft because of concerns about his size. So Queen got Size Queened.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yep.

They would have had to trade up for any of the tackles I wanted in the 1st so staying pat and getting the best receiver in the draft is a huge win.

Yes I still want OT help, but who knows if anyone other than San Fran was willing to move their 1st ahead of the Broncos especially given the circumstances of the draft.

But yeah the Broncos should just give up because the Chefs won their first Super Bowl in 50 years. Just be the Washington Generals until Mahomes retires in 15 years. :rolleyes:
I don't think you give up against the Chiefs. But realistically this Broncos team isn't on that level yet. And it might take 2+ seasons to assemble the right talent to consistently compete with them. That's why I'm more concerned about getting talented guys in here, more than what positions are brought in. We just need more talent.

Jeudy, Hamler, Cush, even the other two picks I didn't mind after reading about them, are nice pieces. Elway needs to keep it up on day 3.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't think you give up against the Chiefs. But realistically this Broncos team isn't on that level yet. And it might take 2+ seasons to assemble the right talent to consistently compete with them. That's why I'm more concerned about getting talented guys in here, more than what positions are brought in. We just need more talent.

Jeudy, Hamler, Cush, even the other two picks I didn't mind after reading about them, are nice pieces. Elway needs to keep it up on day 3.

I love the Jeudy and Cushenberry picks.

I don't love the Hamler and Ojemudia picks.

The Agim pick was OK.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I like Hamler as a player (second best slot receiver in the draft)......As far as best player available he was probably pretty close at that point.

The only thing I don't like is they tend to take a lot of gimmick players. I'm not always a fan of how they do that. Why take a slot receiver instead of taking BPA at a position thats a 3 down position?

That being said Hamler is the second speediest guy behind Ruggs in the draft. He's a burner. Which gives them the stretch downfield that they were looking for.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hamler also seems to be part of the trend where everyone is trying to get their own Tyreek Hill.

He’s not a bad asset at all and should at the least add some dynamism to the return game, but I want an OT bad.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
The lack of drafting an OT is really troubling. I hope Elway has a trade in place, because Bolles isn't the answer. He could probably be salvaged as a really good guard, but the man just doesn't have the feet work to swing out fast with enough power to cover in the NFL.

I almost lost my shit when we picked a TE. I calmed down a bit after learning it was Lock's collage TE.

I know a lot of the talking heads say we're having a good draft, but I just don't see it. It's not addressing out main concern and I can't help but feel like we've failed pretty badly.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I agree with ya guys. I would have liked to have seen some more beef added up front - heck on either side of the ball. This feels a lot like the 2017 draft when we were taking slot WRs, Specials Teams standouts, and nickel DBs.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Offensive line has been this team's problem for years and years now, and they refuse to do anything about it.
Not sure how you can say that.

They hired one of the best OL coaches, drafted OL in the earlier rounds and committed a ton of money on them in free agency, in the past what, 14 months?

Hamler is one of the worst picks, almost up there with Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Broncos undrafted free agents:

WR Zimari Manning, Tarleton St
QB Riley Neal, Vanderbilt
WR Kendall Hinton, Wake Forest
RB Levante Bellamy, Western Michigan
OL Hunter Watts, Central Arkansas
CB Essang Bassey, Wake Forest
DB Douglas Coleman III, Texas Tech

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Hamler's return stats
Punts 2019
KJ Hamler231266.4026
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
KJ Hamler14968.2033
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kicks
KJ Hamler2451321.4040
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
KJ Hamler2052326.2067
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Seems like everyone is trying to draft their own Tyreek Hill. It's like NHL teams taking a 6'8" defenseman and tying to make him Chara.

Yeah, trying to clone the champs is a time honored tradition.

Though having a long threat ist an expedient way to get that 8th man out of the box, push that safety out into coverage, then run the ball effectively. Of course, if the tackles can't pass block, it's not going to matter anyway.

I'm not a fan of drafting two WRs in the first 50 picks of a draft. Hope he turns out to be the dynamic player they expect.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm largely satisfied with this draft.

I'm also fine with them not going after every O-lineman that's not nailed down. Reportedly reaching for offensive line help is what landed them Garrett Bolles. The fact that he's still projected to be a starting tackle has me more than a little concerned, but we'll see how this goes.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm largely satisfied with this draft.

I'm also fine with them not going after every O-lineman that's not nailed down. Reportedly reaching for offensive line help is what landed them Garrett Bolles. The fact that he's still projected to be a starting tackle has me more than a little concerned, but we'll see how this goes.

I think Bolles is a goner.....And I think he knows it as well. It's really a defining year for him because he came into the league pretty old (I think he's like 27 or 28 already) and he's going to have maybe 1 chance at landing a big contract in his career next summer. He's got to pull through this year for his own good, much less the Broncos. They have equal skin in the game. That makes me at least a tiny bit optimistic? Plus he's got Munchak as the coach.

I think a lot of people forget they signed Graham Glasgow. Dude is going to basically push Leary to the bench. With Cushionberry also coming on board there's going to be a lot of competition at the G/C spots.

I think if Bolles or James gets injured though out on the tackle position....then you stick a fork in the Broncos season.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Leary is gone my dude. Bolles was better once Lock was in, so maybe we can not be too upset they didn't find a replacement for him. They like Elijah, but I agree that if one of our OT's get injured we're done.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Flacco definitely made things worse by dropping back WAY too far and taking forever to get rid of the damned ball, but Bolles still sucks. Both Brandon Thorn and Mark Schlereth have ripped his poor technique to shreds. What's more disconcerting are his interviews where he doesn't even seem to acknowledge how bad his struggles have been.

I think he's a decent guard but he's not a legit tackle. They really need to get rid of that guy and just admit defeat. I suppose he's in no position to ask for too much money, so there's that...

Anyway, they appear to have made some strides via free agency at least, and Cushenberry looks like the real deal, so we'll see.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It’s his contract year and they haven’t picked up his fifth year option so he’s essentially playing for his job (and for any free agent deal he’d get next year).

Most guys play better on their contract year. I don’t know if Bolles has “better” in him but we will see.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Sewell is a once in a decade prospect at tackle, Broncos should tank for him :naughty:

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Rockies had a 24 year old prospect that slashed .309/.400/.580 in AAA last year and played a position of need, but didn't get any playing time in the majors.

He's now killing it in KBO.

In a more positive Colorado sports news, Jokic domination is coming

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
In a more positive Colorado sports news, Jokic domination is coming

Just when you think the pointless 1st round match up in the NBA cannot legitimately get any worse, they introduce even more number of teams to conduct a pre-1st round series. I hope some of these clubs invested in KY jelly instead of Purell because they're going to need it.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
The MLB draft is today, f*** the MLB owners and Manfred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad