Oshawa Generals 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Will this be Noel and Mcshanes last year? If so what do you think the plan is here? I know they want to bid on Memorial Cup for 2021 but this years team will be good too minus a goalie right now. Really if we had Keyser this year like last year we would be a favourite to me but i know there will be no keyser here this year. So i guess im thinking we will be good but if noel and mcshane are not back next year then is the right move to move them for a haul at January?

Looking for discussion on both sides.... To add or subtract this year?
I think they do look at it, but closer to the trading deadline, would be my guess.

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
I think they do look at it, but closer to the trading deadline, would be my guess.

Addition by subtraction might work like it did last season. Trades that were made last year added players to Oshawa’s playoff roster last year while adding picks. If Oshawa were to be picked to host the Memorial Cup in 2021 the experience that this years team will gain by having Noel & McShane on the team will prove to be valuable

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Agreed with gensfan2k2. Noel is more likely to move as its for sure his last year in the O and his trade value would be through the roof

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Don't know why Flint would give up on him for just an 8th. Had 21 points in 67 games last year and is a 2oo1 born. Good for the Gens though! Durham kid too

Flint had twenty (skaters) eligible to return. They can only dress 18 and still need to make room for first two picks and import and possibly an OA as well

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Flint had twenty (skaters) eligible to return. They can only dress 18 and still need to make room for first two picks and import and possibly an OA as well

Doesn't mean you need to give away the extra guys for far less than you could get for them....

Jacob Winterton (189th overall) has outscored 2nd overall pick Tag Bertuzzi so far in their OHL careers. Winterton has more points in less games.

Also scores at basically the same clip as 67s Jack Quinn has so far, and many are very high on Quinn (11G in 67 games vs 12G in 69 games)

This is a very good low risk, high reward type trade

Reactions: Hockey61fan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Doesn't mean you need to give away the extra guys for far less than you could get for them....

Winterton was a 10th round pick, he wasn’t worth a whole lot really. I’d guess the best options (for the kid) was nearest home or Hamilton with his brother. I would hope teams don’t mess around with kid’s future just to hold out for a 6th pick.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Don't know why Flint would give up on him for just an 8th. Had 21 points in 67 games last year and is a 2oo1 born. Good for the Gens though! Durham kid too
Obviously, you'd always like more in return but I'm just glad to see him land with a solid org. Like Dirty said, no need to mess with the kid, he wasn't going to fetch a 2nd or anything at this point in his career. Spots are tight in Flint right now with like 15-16 forwards already. I think he'll find the back of the net for you guys but when you're looking at his stats from last year realize he put up most of his points in the first 15-20 games or so and then tailed off quite a bit. Hopefully he steps into the year confident and maintains it because he could be really good.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Winterton was a 10th round pick, he wasn’t worth a whole lot really. I’d guess the best options (for the kid) was nearest home or Hamilton with his brother. I would hope teams don’t mess around with kid’s future just to hold out for a 6th pick.

Where he was drafted means absolutely nothing. Lucas Chiodo was a 15th round pick. That doesn't mean he had no trade value.

I would've thought he would've been worth a 4th or 5th at worst. 2001 born who put up some points last year on the 2nd worst team in the entire league with the 2nd fewest goals scored in the league. I'm not saying Flint should've kept him, clearly he wasn't in their plans going forward. But an 8th seems light. You'd think most teams would be in on a guy like that. Either a depth guy for a good team, or a young piece for a rebuilding team

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Where he was drafted means absolutely nothing. Lucas Chiodo was a 15th round pick. That doesn't mean he had no trade value.
Apples to oranges. Where a 20 year old was drafted 5 years earlier means next to nothing. But where an 18 year old with only one season was drafted means a great deal.

Lucas Chiodo put up back to back seasons of .78 pts/gm and 1.04 pts/gm, plus was scoring at a pace of 1.28 pts/gm when he was traded. Winterton only played one year as a 17 year old and scored at a .31 pts/gm pace.

Hopefully Winterton can continue to build on a successful rookie year in Oshawa. His stock is certainly rising (hence the 8th round pick as a return), but for a guy who was overlooked for 9 rounds in the OHL draft, he has to continue to prove it wasn't a fluke before he is valued like a Chiodo.

Reactions: Tarantula

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Winterton is a great player to have moving forward. Adds some much needed depth and can give our bottom 6 some offensive punch. Still gotta imagine something will be coming up soon in terms of D or a goalie. Unless they’re expecting a rookie or free agent to grab a spot out of camp? Maybe the goalie option comes from a waiver pick up from the QMJHL? Just need someone with junior experience who can stop pucks and help ease Paps into the league.

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Apples to oranges. Where a 20 year old was drafted 5 years earlier means next to nothing. But where an 18 year old with only one season was drafted means a great deal.

Lucas Chiodo put up back to back seasons of .78 pts/gm and 1.04 pts/gm, plus was scoring at a pace of 1.28 pts/gm when he was traded. Winterton only played one year as a 17 year old and scored at a .31 pts/gm pace.

Hopefully Winterton can continue to build on a successful rookie year in Oshawa. His stock is certainly rising (hence the 8th round pick as a return), but for a guy who was overlooked for 9 rounds in the OHL draft, he has to continue to prove it wasn't a fluke before he is valued like a Chiodo.

Dude, just stop.

Its an example. I'm not comparing Winterton to Chiodo lol. I'm saying production is production no matter where you were drafted. Not everything needs to be an argument.....

Reactions: Puck Stopper 1975

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Why can't I disagree if I believe that a player with only one year OHL experience is valued based on both production and draft history? Is this against a forum rule?

Bizarre response, IMO.

It's more just seeing a handful of people constantly trying to jump into convos to be a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. Clearly I wasn't saying "Jacob Winterton is the exact same skill set as Lucas Chiodo!!!!!" yet there you go trying to act like I said they've had the same OHL career. It just gets tiresome when some people just always want to insert themselves in every single convo just to be the "well actually" guy

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
As we figured, Bollers being a coach doesn't mean he's necessarily back for the OA season as now Cole Resnick is also a coach at the young Gens camp and both Resnick/Bollers can't both be OA's (maybe neither will)

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Dude, just stop.

Its an example. I'm not comparing Winterton to Chiodo lol.

You can't. Winterton is way taller. Like you said, I think a 4th would have been on the higher end of optimal return for Flint with a 6th being the lower end. If it frees up a spot on the Firebirds roster and puts Winterton close to home and somewhere he's happy I can live with an 8th even though it's a bit disappointing. To get any production and a future 8th rounder out of a kid picked in the 10th round is ok though. He can find the open areas and has a nice release. Hopefully he puts up some points for you guys in 66 games this year.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Skipper

Jun 2, 2019
Why the assumption that Flint got rid of Winterton. Perhaps he asked for a trade? Has it been confirmed either way or are people just assuming?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Why the assumption that Flint got rid of Winterton. Perhaps he asked for a trade? Has it been confirmed either way or are people just assuming?

Flint did not get rid of Winterton, they found him a new place to play that is closest to home because the firebirds had 12 forwards able to return, plus 1st & 2nd picks & import at forward, & two open OA spots.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

I don't think it matters, does it? Even if Winterton did ask for the trade, I'd think somewhere around 10-15 teams would want him. Either a depth guy on a good team or a building block on a young team. Should be no shortage of suitors for a 2001 born who put up points at a decent clip in a bad situation last year

Reactions: HockeyPops

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I put this on twitter but I was looking at the rosters and Durham is really starting to produce some elite talent. Could have an all Durham roster of
F:
E.Keppen-T.Dellandrea-C.Perfetti
B.Coe-C.McMichael-J.Durham
B.Murray-C.Hillis-Q.Yule
E.Cardwell-D.Robinson-J.Winterton
Extras: C.Yetman, B.Othmann, R.Winterton, K.Bollers, C.McLean

D:
D.Chisholm-R.O’Rourke
J.Thompson-C.Kammerer

G:
Langevin

And that should continue to happen as next year will be the first really good Oshawa minor midget team in a while

Reactions: Whatanathol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad