Oshawa Generals 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Potential for a great season between these 2 teams and of course the Petes have to try and ruin it. Walker making Merkley unravel would be worth the price of admission.

I can't see them moving him, for 2 reasons. 1 being they paid too much and Oke put his ass on the line by acquiring a guy who everyone universally says can't be a part of a winning team. To 6 months later be like "hey I was completely wrong and everyone else was right" might not be the best look for a GM who people have already wanted out for a while now.... And 2- the market of who would want him would be very, very small. Potentially even non-existent

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
OHLinsiders reported it a few days ago, but Gens Director of Player Personnel and Scouting, Kevin Thacker, is joining the Coyotes. That definitely a positive sign that the staff here have been doing an incredible job.

Dom Commisso is also joining Mistele and McCool at Ryerson this year.

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
OHLinsiders reported it a few days ago, but Gens Director of Player Personnel and Scouting, Kevin Thacker, is joining the Coyotes. That definitely a positive sign that the staff here have been doing an incredible job.

Dom Commisso is also joining Mistele and McCool at Ryerson this year.

Congrats to Kevin, that's awesome for him

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Just saw OHL insiders tweet that Generals are looking at OA goalie Popovich from Guelph. That would help big time with this years team and groom the winner of the back up job to be number one next year when they bid. I was only concerned about goaltending going into the year but IF this went down we would slide back up to top teams in east discussion

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens scoop up Dan Currie. He played for the Soo (235 points in 189 games) then went on to play in the NHL for Edmonton and LA. He's spent the last 6 years as a scout for the Windsor Spitfires

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Just saw OHL insiders tweet that Generals are looking at OA goalie Popovich from Guelph. That would help big time with this years team and groom the winner of the back up job to be number one next year when they bid. I was only concerned about goaltending going into the year but IF this went down we would slide back up to top teams in east discussion
Have to disagree. I understand where you’re coming from, but Pop is the answer to no questions.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Take this for what it's worth but I got a DM about 20 minutes ago from someone saying they are hearing a Robinson trade is close to done. Its not the Tomasino one that was rumoured last year but apparently for picks to someone other than Niagara. We'll see if that's true

Edit: Okay he’s since tweeted it so I’m not putting him on blast, yeah OHLinsiders DMd me that lol

Last edited:

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
As per OHLinsder:
Oshawa Generals close to moving 02' F Dylan Robinson.
How close? I don't know
Where? I don't know
When? I don't know
For what? I don't know
But as always, will work to find out! They made their 'last chance' calls today.
#OHL

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
As per OHLinsder:
Oshawa Generals close to moving 02' F Dylan Robinson.
How close? I don't know
Where? I don't know
When? I don't know
For what? I don't know
But as always, will work to find out! They made their 'last chance' calls today.
#OHL
A pick that some more research should have gone into imo

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
A pick that some more research should have gone into imo

Kid is a tremendous player who caught the injury bug last year. Would love to keep him and see him actually play consistently. Unfortunately he’s the odd man out since Tullio and Moore are definitely not being shipped out for picks.

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018

With Paputsakis and Sbrocca likely fighting to be backup to Hughes, would Popovich be a better mentor? Statistically speaking Popovich has played roughly 3 times more games than Hughes and his save percentage is considerably higher. The dilemma is whether having a young goalie like Paputsakis or Sbrocca sitting on the bench really better for his development?

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
We are not really in a rebuild year, still very competitive and by adding Popovich just improves our chances doing the same if not better than last season.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Kid is a tremendous player who caught the injury bug last year. Would love to keep him and see him actually play consistently. Unfortunately he’s the odd man out since Tullio and Moore are definitely not being shipped out for picks.
I agree tremendous player yes...wouldn’t say he’s odd man out Oshawa doesnt need to move an 02 but for chemistry sake I’d be doing the same thing hopefully he gets it soon

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
With Paputsakis and Sbrocca likely fighting to be backup to Hughes, would Popovich be a better mentor? Statistically speaking Popovich has played roughly 3 times more games than Hughes and his save percentage is considerably higher. The dilemma is whether having a young goalie like Paputsakis or Sbrocca sitting on the bench really better for his development?

I'm not a fan of Popovich, but he's played against some stiff competition in the west for most of his career and managed to back stop Guelph to a OHL championship. Wouldn't hurt to have him here for 1 year. With the amount of back to back games and 3 in 3 weekends in the OHL, Paputsakis would still see plenty of action

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Still makes him no better than Hughes as a mentor. If he comes for nothing than that’s ok. Save the picks for something better.

He's quite a bit better than Hughes. If the price tag is high, then yeah I'm fine not getting him. But if you can get potentially a top 5 goalie in the league for a decent price, I'd do it. Have him split with Paputsakis. Sbrocca needs another year of full starts in OJHL

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
He's quite a bit better than Hughes. If the price tag is high, then yeah I'm fine not getting him. But if you can get potentially a top 5 goalie in the league for a decent price, I'd do it. Have him split with Paputsakis. Sbrocca needs another year of full starts in OJHL

With so few established goalies in the OHL what would be the price for Popovich? If the price is right then this could be a great move for the team and the development of Oshawa’s young goalies

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
What would be the value of Robinson? High second rd pick who projects to be a strong offensive player in the OHL. I’m not giving him away at all.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
With so few established goalies in the OHL what would be the price for Popovich? If the price is right then this could be a great move for the team and the development of Oshawa’s young goalies

That’s the question. Guelph has already made it known that they’re moving on from him so that should lower the value a little bit. If Sudbury gets their import goalie, not sure who else would be in the market for a starting goalie before the season starts either

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
What would be the value of Robinson? High second rd pick who projects to be a strong offensive player in the OHL. I’m not giving him away at all.
Healthy Robinson would of got that but didn't play most of the season and that will lower his return.
My prediction he will go to Guelph for Popovich plus,my opinion

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens submitted their pre-season roster and Bollers/Resnick aren't on it but Hughes is.

Also Ryan Gagnier and Dylan Robinson are not on it

Reactions: Whatanathol

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Gens submitted their pre-season roster and Bollers/Resnick aren't on it but Hughes is.

Also Ryan Gagnier and Dylan Robinson are not on it

It has McShane listed twice. I would imagine Resnick, Bollers, and Gagnier will be at training camp. Gagnier I can’t see why he wouldn’t be listed unless he’s being shopped too.

The Resnick omission is weird too. I can’t imagine they tell him to put a smile on at the players lounge opening and then the next week they tell him he doesn’t have a spot on this year team.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
It has McShane listed twice. I would imagine Resnick, Bollers, and Gagnier will be at training camp. Gagnier I can’t see why he wouldn’t be listed unless he’s being shopped too.

Only reason Gagnier wouldn't be on it would be they think he needs a year in the OJ, but I wouldn't expect that to be the case

Dawson McKinney is also not listed on it and I can't see him not being at camp either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad