Oshawa Generals 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Keyser's now joining the AHL Bruins tomorrow. They're down 2-1 in the series and it's first one to 3. Their starting goalie is hurt and the backup has been getting torched so maybe we'll see him in his first pro game

Reactions: GensFan and Nerf27

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Updates:
Early thoughts on the lineup for next year?
If the rumour of bidding on Memorial Cup is true. Does the team stand pat and waste Noel McShane ? Do they do something similar at the deadline and trade a Noel etc. ? Or are you trying to go as far as you can keeping the most picks for that Mem Cup year? Will be interesting to see. Just seeing yours and others thoughts on here.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Updates:
Early thoughts on the lineup for next year?
If the rumour of bidding on Memorial Cup is true. Does the team stand pat and waste Noel McShane ? Do they do something similar at the deadline and trade a Noel etc. ? Or are you trying to go as far as you can keeping the most picks for that Mem Cup year? Will be interesting to see. Just seeing yours and others thoughts on here.

Obviously far too early to guess what'll happen next deadline, but judging on Hunt's past, I think he stands pat for the most part next deadline but tries to get younger (add some '01s). The Gens have a ton of 2nd round picks and none of them are in the next draft, so even if Hunt does nothing in terms of selling, he will still have a ton of 2nd and 3rds to trade for the 2021 year. Right now the team looks like:

F Lines:
Antropov-McShane-Noel
Eggenberger(OA and Euro)-Neumann(OA)-Tullio
Robinson-MacLean(OA)-Gagnier
Michaud (unsigned)-Harrison (unsigned)-Drouin
Others: McKinney

D Pairings:
Brewer-Moore
Ennis-Vallati
Gross(Euro)-?

G:
Paputsakis
Sbrocca
Others: Schell (unsigned)

The imports will be a big question. Is Eggenberger back? I'd guess no but it'll be up to whichever NHL team drafts him. Also if the plan is 2021, do you let Gross go play pro in Europe for a year so you can draft a younger guy who will still be here and play a big role in 2021?

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Obviously far too early to guess what'll happen next deadline, but judging on Hunt's past, I think he stands pat for the most part next deadline but tries to get younger (add some '01s). The Gens have a ton of 2nd round picks and none of them are in the next draft, so even if Hunt does nothing in terms of selling, he will still have a ton of 2nd and 3rds to trade for the 2021 year. Right now the team looks like:

F Lines:
Antropov-McShane-Noel
Eggenberger(OA and Euro)-Neumann(OA)-Tullio
Robinson-MacLean(OA)-Gagnier
Michaud (unsigned)-Harrison (unsigned)-Drouin
Others: McKinney

D Pairings:
Brewer-Moore
Ennis-Vallati
Gross(Euro)-?

G:
Paputsakis
Sbrocca
Others: Schell (unsigned)

The imports will be a big question. Is Eggenberger back? I'd guess no but it'll be up to whichever NHL team drafts him. Also if the plan is 2021, do you let Gross go play pro in Europe for a year so you can draft a younger guy who will still be here and play a big role in 2021?
Oh I agree it’s too early to know. Just creating a conversation that I hope stays as a Generals conversation and doesn’t get high jacked by certain people if you know what I mean.
I doubt Eggy is back but if he is my buddy already has a nice sign for him to be put to use lol.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Oh I agree it’s too early to know. Just creating a conversation that I hope stays as a Generals conversation and doesn’t get high jacked by certain people if you know what I mean.
I doubt Eggy is back but if he is my buddy already has a nice sign for him to be put to use lol.

His skating isnt ready for AHL I don't think, but is he too big and strong to play another season in the O? Will all likely depend on which team drafts him

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
His skating isnt ready for AHL I don't think, but is he too big and strong to play another season in the O? Will all likely depend on which team drafts him
Yes agreed. I was thinking more along the lines of having that OA Euro spot taken up which rarely seems to happen. He seems so powerful at times but then goes away. If he can learn that power forward role if you will, he will become a Pro hockey player. He definitely has a Pro build

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Yes agreed. I was thinking more along the lines of having that OA Euro spot taken up which rarely seems to happen. He seems so powerful at times but then goes away. If he can learn that power forward role if you will, he will become a Pro hockey player. He definitely has a Pro build

For sure. He was one of the best players against Niagara, but didn't do anything against Ottawa. Consistency is for sure an issue there. But when he's on, he's hard to stop

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Traditionally, teams do not retain players who occupy OA and import status. I thought Eggenberger more or less disappeared in the playoffs. I would like to see a Rossi type import recognizing he played with Ottawa's top players most of the year. Really liked Bollers for his energy and enthusiasm and Resnick really came on in the latter part of the year and started to score goals but overagers of this calibre cannot be on the 3rd or 4th lines. Lastly, what was the story on Drouin? Did he ever hit the ice? Why did they carry him on the roster all year? It would be nice if DeBoer stuck around but I would not hold my breath.The lineup posted above does not look like the framework for a Mem Cup contender (in my opinion).

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Traditionally, teams do not retain players who occupy OA and import status. I thought Eggenberger more or less disappeared in the playoffs. I would like to see a Rossi type import recognizing he played with Ottawa's top players most of the year. Really liked Bollers for his energy and enthusiasm and Resnick really came on in the latter part of the year and started to score goals but overagers of this calibre cannot be on the 3rd or 4th lines. Lastly, what was the story on Drouin? Did he ever hit the ice? Why did they carry him on the roster all year? It would be nice if DeBoer stuck around but I would not hold my breath.The lineup posted above does not look like the framework for a Mem Cup contender (in my opinion).

Keep in mind no Memorial Cup contender looks even close to the same pre-offseason as it does post-deadline. I don't expect the Gens to be a Memorial Cup contender next year, but just as an example to show how fast it can change, at this time in 2014, this was the Gens roster going into the offseason (which won the Memorial Cup the next year)

F:
Latour-Cassels-Dal Colle
Manchurek-Sterk-Smith
Wallace-Harding-Busch
Pu-McDade-Huether

D:
Brown(OA)-Petschenig
Carlisle(OA)-Vande Somple
Desrocher-Robertson

G:
Appleby (just went 11-7 and 0-1 in the playoffs)
?

That team looks AWFUL going into the off-season after just losing Scott Laughton, Colin Suellentrop and Daniel Altshuller (top F, D and G) lol. Dal Colle and Cassels were the only above average F's they had and a career backup goalie who people thought wasn't ready. Then they added Tobias Lindberg, Anthony Cirelli, Matt Mistele, Jeremy Brodeur, Michael McCarron, Dakota Mermis, Brent Pedersen and suddenly it's by far the best Gens team of all-time lol

Reactions: Finster8

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ian Blacker’s billet commented on his most recent IG pic wishing him the best of luck on his next chapter. So 3rd OA candidate for next year is down to Eggenberger or Resnick, barring a trade

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Happy to see Dom Commisso go on a run with the Storm. He was one of the guys who unfortunately joined the team right after our mem cup season and had to settle for a season of rebuilding and couple seasons of deciding not to go for it.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Should the Generals go after Saginaw Goalie Ivan Prosvetov (99) Saginaw may want to unload him for his baseball swing plus other antics may come cheap, or draft an Goalie in the Euro draft or develop what we have.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Should the Generals go after Saginaw Goalie Ivan Prosvetov (99) Saginaw may want to unload him for his baseball swing plus other antics may come cheap, or draft an Goalie in the Euro draft or develop what we have.

Being a 4th round NHL pick (8th goalie taken in that draft) and the only goalie Arizona has drafted since 2015, his OHL career is over. He'll be in the AHL or ECHL next year

Reactions: three dog night

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens top 10 prospects from thescout.ca:
Brett Harrison (F)
Daniel Michaud (F)
Ryan Gagnier (F)
Dawson McKinney (F)
Zachary Paputsakis (G)
Patrick Leaver (G)
Matt Sbrocca (G)
David Gucciardi (D)
Matt DeBoer (F)
Owen Brady (D)

I expect 4 of them to be on the team next year full time and 2 part-time (Harrison, Michaud, Gagnier, McKinney part-time, Paputsakis, Sbrocca part-time)

The Little General

Mar 30, 2017
Ottawa vs Guelph: does any one know if Marco Rossi played this evening? According to all reports prior, he was apparently done for the season after Game 4?? Just curious......thanks

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ottawa vs Guelph: does any one know if Marco Rossi played this evening? According to all reports prior, he was apparently done for the season after Game 4?? Just curious......thanks

He did play tonight. He was never thought to be seriously injured. He was only held out of game 4 vs the Gens as a precaution. He passed the concussion tests the night of the "hit"

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Brett Harrison (1st rounder) was the Player of the Game in his game today at the OHL Gold Cup

Daniel Michaud looked good too. Had this nice primary assist to take the lead in the 3rd

Patrick Leaver also stopped 12/13 for a win

Reactions: three dog night

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I'm a huge fan of the fact that the Gens send a team to WSI 15U because it creates name recognition and can be a nice little recruiting tool. But, I don't understand why this year there are so many Connecticut players when they're out of the draft area. Seems a little counter-intuitive to me. Lots of Detroit kids though, which is nice, and a New Jersey kid who I saw on this board is regarded pretty highly. Recent draft pick Austin May was on the team last year (and attended rookie camp) so hopefully they can get him away from Providence College.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the fact that the Gens send a team to WSI 15U because it creates name recognition and can be a nice little recruiting tool. But, I don't understand why this year there are so many Connecticut players when they're out of the draft area. Seems a little counter-intuitive to me. Lots of Detroit kids though, which is nice, and a New Jersey kid who I saw on this board is regarded pretty highly. Recent draft pick Austin May was on the team last year (and attended rookie camp) so hopefully they can get him away from Providence College.

Yeah its usually all Ontario guys. This year the 3 big Oshawa players are all on different teams, none of them the Gens WSI team.

And I think Colton Smith is DJ's kid

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad