Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Jason Garrison To A PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would have liked to see a rightie signed to a PTO, but right-handed defenseman are almost the left-handed pitchers of the NHL now. Doesn't matter if you suck. As long as you're right-handed, you're getting a contract.

The only rightie UFAs who played last season are Bieksa, Franson, Ryan Sproul and Frank Corrado.
I guess I'd ask why not Franson over him? Maybe Franson didn't want to come

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No tools in them.
Lol, I was kind of thinking that after I posted.

Think they are just looking at Garrison's shot to see what it adds to the new PP. Might just be them taking different looks and seeing whether or not they should go after a better player with a shot

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lol, I was kind of thinking that after I posted.

Think they are just looking at Garrison's shot to see what it adds to the new PP. Might just be them taking different looks and seeing whether or not they should go after a better player with a shot

They had a better player in Auvitu and let him walk. These guys don't know what they're doing.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
They had a better player in Auvitu and let him walk. These guys don't know what they're doing.

Eh, there were parts of auvitu's game that I liked. He wasn't a hard working player though. I remember one game where the other team had a two on one, and auvitu, who was just behind the play, basically gave up on the play and was coasting back instead of rushing back to try and make a difference. It was pretty early in the season and he didn't dress much after that game. Good riddance imo.

As far as the garrison signing, I like it, even though I think he doesn't make the team. We have some unproven guys who will be competing for the 6 and 7 spots. One more guy to push them. Don't need any of them feeling like a lock to make the team without having to earn it, Should elevate everyone's game. Also he's the only veteran aside from Russell which could end up having some value.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
His game isn't designed for the NHL. You can't be afraid to go into the tough areas in the NHL. He like Larsen was. He like Larsen is now in the KHL
52.29 CF%, 57.78 GF%, and by far the best ES P/60 and P1/60 of any dman on the team last season. He was extremely effective on that third pairing.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Eh, there were parts of auvitu's game that I liked. He wasn't a hard working player though. I remember one game where the other team had a two on one, and auvitu, who was just behind the play, basically gave up on the play and was coasting back instead of rushing back to try and make a difference. It was pretty early in the season and he didn't dress much after that game. Good riddance imo.

And yet, once again, his actual on-ice results were very good. Given the choice between a player who looks lazy but posts good reslts and a guy who tries real hard but sucks, i'll take the first guy. Your mileage may vary.

As far as the garrison signing, I like it, even though I think he doesn't make the team. We have some unproven guys who will be competing for the 6 and 7 spots. One more guy to push them. Don't need any of them feeling like a lock to make the team without having to earn it, Should elevate everyone's game. Also he's the only veteran aside from Russell which could end up having some value.

Is there any evidence that works? I feel like noone on that depth chart is gonna be worried about Jason Garrison stealing their spot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
9 points in 33 games for an offensive d-man. Those aren't good numbers. There is a reason two teams that both lack defenseman let him walk

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
And yet, once again, his actual on-ice results were very good. Given the choice between a player who looks lazy but posts good reslts and a guy who tries real hard but sucks, i'll take the first guy. Your mileage may vary.

Fair point. I wouldn't want to keep guys around who don't put the effort in though, sets a bad precedent for the rest of your guys.

Is there any evidence that works? I feel like noone on that depth chart is gonna be worried about Jason Garrison stealing their spot.

Of course it works, many guys competing for a couple jobs - everyone's gonna want to be at their best to maximize their chances. If garrison ends up looking worthless there's still other guys competing for the spot. But he's another guy that players need to show they're better than, and you can bet garrison will be working hard to try to earn a contract.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
9 points in 33 games for an offensive d-man. Those aren't good numbers. There is a reason two teams that both lack defenseman let him walk

22 point pace would have had him second on the team in D scoring and without any PP time of note.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Fair point. I wouldn't want to keep guys around who don't put the effort in though, sets a bad precedent for the rest of your guys.

So does being terrible at hockey but getting multiple chances.

Of course it works, many guys competing for a couple jobs - everyone's gonna want to be at their best to maximize their chances. If garrison ends up looking worthless there's still other guys competing for the spot. But he's another guy that players need to show they're better than, and you can bet garrison will be working hard to try to earn a contract.

There's always competition, but is the competition actually meaningful? They could bring me in for "competition" but I don't think anyone would have to worry.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
22 point pace would have had him second on the team in D scoring and without any PP time of note.
Not exactly good for a guy that coaches will never trust. And it's not TM it's every NHL coach. No one is going to trust a guy that doesn't work for the puck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad