Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Jason Garrison To A PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Jerabek has gotten better as preseason has went on. Bouchard and Bear having are having good preseasons. Gravel also looked decent.

Just not sure if hes worth the contract at this point. I dont really see the point of signing him unless hes willing to go to the AHL.

Reactions: thadd

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I want him signed. The contract would be bury-able anyway. We have space against the contract limit.

But, if there is a good reason to wait I'm not against it. However, I also recall Calgary swooping in and snatching Versteeg. Anyone needing a vet could sign Garrison today and then we're playing Gravel or Jerabek regularly, or pushing a young player.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I want him signed. The contract would be bury-able anyway. We have space against the contract limit.

But, if there is a good reason to wait I'm not against it. However, I also recall Calgary swooping in and snatching Versteeg. Anyone needing a vet could sign Garrison today and then we're playing Gravel or Jerabek regularly, or pushing a young player.

I guess one issue with signing Garrison is that they already have three veteran defencemen in the AHL Stanton, Lowe, and Gravel.

You could run into issues where these guys would be sitting all the time as there are limits on the amount of vets you can dress.

I'd take him over Lowe or Stanton in a second, but you wouldn't be able to give those guys away.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I guess one issue with signing Garrison is that they already have three veteran defencemen in the AHL Stanton, Lowe, and Gravel.

You could run into issues where these guys would be sitting all the time as there are limits on the amount of vets you can dress.

I'd take him over Lowe or Stanton in a second, but you wouldn't be able to give those guys away.
seems to me like Garrison has been the best though, and I'd hope that we gave him the PTO with the understanding that he get a fair shot.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
seems to me like Garrison has been the best though, and I'd hope that we gave him the PTO with the understanding that he get a fair shot.
Sure. Maybe he doesn't want to be in the AHL though. Not sure.

I'd fire Lowe into the sun today if we could replace him with Garrison.

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
Didn't Garrison, at one time at least, have a pretty ferocious point shot? Have we seen that at all yet?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Didn't Garrison, at one time at least, have a pretty ferocious point shot? Have we seen that at all yet?
His shot is still decent, but his offensive game has dwindle a over the years. Though in the pre-season I saw some good things from him patrolling the offensive blueline. Serviceable and largely effective in a positive way.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sure. Maybe he doesn't want to be in the AHL though. Not sure.

I'd fire Lowe into the sun today if we could replace him with Garrison.
I going on a complete tangent, but I've always found this statement amusing as firing something into the sun is actually quite a difficult task, owing to the Earth's orbital velocity.

Reactions: Mez

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Garrison has one (very) good offensive tool, but not much of a tool box. He can shoot, but he's not able to generate his own chances or chances for others. Still, I'd rather have him on the point vs. someone like Russell or Benning, who aren't great at either distributing or shooting.

I think Garrison would do well anchoring the bottom pairing, and taking some of the pressure off Bear or Bouchard. Think Gill to Subban, or Kuba to Karlsson. Basically a vet to keep them young guy grounded.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I going on a complete tangent, but I've always found this statement amusing as firing something into the sun is actually quite a difficult task, owing to the Earth's orbital velocity.

It's quite fitting then because it usually describes someone you would go out of your way to be rid of.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
He was fun. Every time he was on the ice something crazy happened.

Say what you want about him but he had a crazy GF/GA both here and in Jersey. I don't think it's fair to say he's not an NHL player since the numbers clearly show that he had a positive effect on both of the teams he played on.

How many years did he burn off the coaches lifespans though?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well now I have no idea what to think.

A few facts from the three Jason interview on 1260 last night.

1. Garrison has talked to TM and PC
2. Garrison thinks we have a lot of offense already from the back end.
3. Thinks he will be more used to settle the play down in a defensive role
4. Has played the right side quite a bit and is confident there.
5. Feels he's bringing a veteran presence to the back end.
Guy came in knowing what he needed to do and he did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad