Salary Cap: Oilers line combos for the 18/19 season your predictions

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I must be fooling myself because when I look at our roster I see pretty much the same one that went to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

And the same one that finished 10th last last year? This team I believe is neither the team that went to the second round, or the team of last year, but somewhere in the middle. And that middle to me is on the outside looking in

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Nuge McDavid Rattie
Lucic Drai Reider
Khaira Strome Puljujärvi
Caggiula Brodziak Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Sekera Russell

Talbot
Koskinen

I think we’re gonna go back to the original pairings for defence but Nurse and Benning get more minutes than they did a couple years ago.

Offence is a bit of a wild card. I think those are the line combo we see but honestly would not be in the least bit surprised if Yamo steals Rattie’s spot in the top 6.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And the same one that finished 10th last last year? This team I believe is neither the team that went to the second round, or the team of last year, but somewhere in the middle. And that middle to me is on the outside looking in

Yeah the middle would be 103 points + 78 = 90 or 91 points. That's basically exactly "outside looking in".

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
These line ups will look pretty dreadful if Yammer and Pulju don't become NHLers. The same applies if Klef, Sek, Lars, Benning and Lucic dont bounce back in a strong manner.

I won't be surprised if the Oilers have a weak season again

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I must be fooling myself because when I look at our roster I see pretty much the same one that went to the 2nd round of the playoffs.
A lot rests on Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, and Russell performing as well as that last 20 games plus playoffs. It's not an impossibility if they enter the season healthy and had a proper off-season. Curious, did Klefbom have surgery or just rehab? Not that I know whether either fixes him for 82+ games.

Lots of forwards gone but Drai, McDavid, and RNH are even better players now. Maybe Lucic and Strome won't suck???

I'm hopeful compared to last fall.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Nuge McDavid Rattie
Lucic Drai Reider
Khaira Strome Puljujärvi
Caggiula Brodziak Kassian

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Sekera Russell

Talbot
Koskinen

I think we’re gonna go back to the original pairings for defence but Nurse and Benning get more minutes than they did a couple years ago.

Offence is a bit of a wild card. I think those are the line combo we see but honestly would not be in the least bit surprised if Yamo steals Rattie’s spot in the top 6.

Seems as good as just about all options. That said, with the way the cap was this year, the team wasn't going to drastically improve; however, it is an opportunity for them to get better. Getting better is something they have not done in way too many years (outside of the one playoff run). Simply put, we need some wingers to win some faceoffs/board battles against pinching dmen, passes to be made crisply, guys to get in on the forecheck, not fly by the opponent's net, show up on time for games, earn some passes from their own dmen. Really a year where this coaching staff needs to prove they are a better coaching staff and guys have to be made accountable to being coached. Starting with the special teams, which lost way to many games last year.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Seems as good as just about all options. That said, with the way the cap was this year, the team wasn't going to drastically improve; however, it is an opportunity for them to get better. Getting better is something they have not done in way too many years (outside of the one playoff run). Simply put, we need some wingers to win some faceoffs/board battles against pinching dmen, passes to be made crisply, guys to get in on the forecheck, not fly by the opponent's net, show up on time for games, earn some passes from their own dmen. Really a year where this coaching staff needs to prove they are a better coaching staff and guys have to be made accountable to being coached. Starting with the special teams, which lost way to many games last year.

Agreed. If our special teams improve to just average, we will be quite a bit better than we were last season but everyone collectively needs to step up.

I said this before and I’ll say it again, this team has a lot of “if’s” but most of them are honestly pretty good bets.

Lucic bouncing back to being a 45 point player or so is a good bet, he won’t be nearly as bad as he was second half.

Klefbom being healthy again and bouncing back is a good bet as well, he struggled all season with injury and we’ve seen how good he can be when healthy.

Sekera might not be the player he once was but he looked good in worlds and won’t be as bad as last season.

Talbot won’t be as bad as he was last year and I liked his play after the all star break, started playing like himself again for the most part.

We had way too many things go wrong and I just don’t see that happening again. If most of these players bounce back and one of Rattie, Yamo or Puljujärvi step up (and one of them will take the next step sooner or later) our team will be fine. Not cup contenders but will be a playoff team IMO

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Rieder
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg(probably traded for another bottom 6er) 14thF

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Sekera-Russell
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Everyone puts Rattie on the top line with McDavid just because he finished the season there. I predict that lasts about three games.

Reactions: DasDrai

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Move Strome and sign Maroon, makes more sense to me. Strome is a useless on third line and isn't good enough for top 6 role.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
Lucic is going tank one of Drai or Strome's numbers and probably get him shipped out, like he did with Eberle. Everyone thought Eberle couldn't play with McDavid, but replace Lucic with Maroon and you got solid numbers.

He should be nowhere near the top six, and especially nowhere near Puljujarvi.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is what I'd like the lineup to look like on opening night if nothing else changes.

Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Caggiula
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Benning
Gravel (to save cap, call Bear up if we need someone in the lineup)

Wildcards:
Bouchard - if he shows he can handle bottom pairing minutes and run the PP then give him Benning or Sekera's spot depending on how Sekera looks.

Yamamoto - if Rattie looks like crap and Yam blows the doors off then give him Ratties spot or put Puljujarvi with McDavid and Yam with Drai.

Marody - probably only has a shot if Lucic gets moved, injuries occur, or Caggiula really struggles.

Paddy Padlock

Sep 16, 2017
Draisaitl makes $8.5 million and he needs to drive a line with boat anchors that McDavid couldn't carry, blah blah. But Lucic needs to be far away from Puljujarvi and Yamamoto.

Puljujarvi has been beaten into being an offensive non-factor. Now the Oilers have to build him back up.

One thing that might help: getting away from last season’s cursed combination of Puljujarvi and Milan Lucic.

When Lucic was on the ice away from Puljujarvi, the Oilers scored on 9.1 per cent of their shots. When Puljujarvi was on the ice away from Lucic, it was 8.3 per cent. Together? A wretched 5.4 per cent.

A lot of times it’s a mistake to read too much into a poor shooting percentage. In this case, it isn’t. Puljujarvi spent more than half his year with Lucic, so the sample is large. Together they represented two-thirds of the attacking forwards on the ice at any one time, and their most common linemate (though they moved around) was Connor McDavid.

On the list of reasons the Oilers badly underperformed on the wings this year, Lucic and Puljujarvi going over Reichenbach Falls together ranks near the top.

The Oilers should take a long look at their role in Jesse...

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Everyone puts Rattie on the top line with McDavid just because he finished the season there. I predict that lasts about three games.
I think it will be something they trial in preseason, but I agree its far from a guarantee it lasts. Rattie has a lot to prove, but if that line performs like they did for 15 games last season then there's no use in breaking it up given Rattie's cap hit. If he struggles in camp though and Yamamoto is killing it I would hope he takes Rattie's spot and we see Yam and Puljujarvi on McDavid and Drai's wings.

If our rookies impress and we somehow manage to dump Lucic and sign Maroon then this is my ideal lineup.

Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Caggiula-Strome-Rieder
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning/Russell
Sekera-Bouchard

Maroon and Rieder can flip flop as needed between the top 9.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If our rookies impress and we somehow manage to dump Lucic and sign Maroon then this is my ideal lineup.

Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Caggiula-Strome-Rieder
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning/Russell
Sekera-Bouchard

Maroon and Rieder can flip flop as needed between the top 9.

I don't see dumping Lucic, so rule out singing Maroon.

If you replace Lucic for Maroon in your projected lineup I'm good with the forwards. I would prefer to see Puljujarvi with Nuge and McDavid instead of Yamamoto. Not that Puljujarvi is tough, but he can eventually learn to provide a little support for McDavid. Yamamoto is too tiny for that.

I'm cool with the D, assuming Russell is the usual second pairing RD and Benning is the 7th D who fills in on the right side when needed.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don’t think Maroon will get the dollars or
years that he wants. He’ll probably end up signing a 3x3 deal.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I hope to God, they find someway to get rid of Lucic. He is on the downside of his career even if he somewhat bounces back, which I highly doubt. We could have gotten a fantastic player like Radulov or better for his salary. As long as his cap eats away at the team budget they will have a very hard tine winning the cup. Maybe the team can shame him onto retiring?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't see dumping Lucic, so rule out singing Maroon.

If you replace Lucic for Maroon in your projected lineup I'm good with the forwards. I would prefer to see Puljujarvi with Nuge and McDavid instead of Yamamoto. Not that Puljujarvi is tough, but he can eventually learn to provide a little support for McDavid. Yamamoto is too tiny for that.

I'm cool with the D, assuming Russell is the usual second pairing RD and Benning is the 7th D who fills in on the right side when needed.
Probably not, but I can dream.

I like Puljujarvi with McDavid as well and Yamamoto with Drai if he makes the team. I think either could work though.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Rattie is the wildcard for me. I have no idea if he just had a few good games in garbage time or if he will continue to prosper on the top line. One thing is for sure, anybody playing with 93 and 97 is going to have some measure of success. I think with a defined role and time to build chemistry that Puljujarvi could be ideal in that spot. I think Lucic gets a chance at redemption but will slide down the depth chart quickly if he doesn't look good.

RNH - McD - Pulju
Lucic - Drai - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Rattie/Aberg
Caggiula - Brodziak - Kassian

Theres lots of wide open spots on our rosters excellent opportunities for guys to make an impact and move up the roster or even for someone to walk in find some chemistry with McD or Drai line and snatch a spot.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Yamamoto-Draisaitl-Rieder
Khaira-Strome-Rattie
Lucic-Brodziak-Caggiula
(Kassian, Benson)

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Gravel
(Bouchard first call-up in the case of injuries)

Koskinen
Talbot
(Talbot start off as #1, 10-15 games in, Koskinen may win the starter position)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Yamamoto-Draisaitl-Rieder
Khaira-Strome-Rattie
Lucic-Brodziak-Caggiula
(Kassian, Benson)

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning
Gravel
(Bouchard first call-up in the case of injuries)

Koskinen
Talbot
(Talbot start off as #1, 10-15 games in, Koskinen may win the starter position)
Yamamoto should be playing RW as he's a natural RW, and Rieder being a LH shot would move to the left. Don't see a fit for Rattie in the bottom 6 over Kassian, I think its more likely top line or bust for him. Bouchard can not be called up he's not AHL eligible. He either stays with the team out of camp or he won't play an NHL game this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad