Salary Cap: Oilers line combos for the 18/19 season your predictions

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Literally one scoring forward would be so huge for this team. If Yamamoto or Puljujarvi breakout this season, we probably would improve quite a bit. Pushing everyone down one spot makes it look much better.

In best case scenario both Yams and Puljujarvi breakout (45-60 Point players) and were laughing.

RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto
Rieder - Drai - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Aberg/Caggiula
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian
Caggiula/Aberg

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Russell
Sekera - Bouchard/Benning/Bear

Dadbot
Koskinen

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Count me in on hoping Lucic starts away from Draisaitl. Unless he can figure out how to handle pucks better he kills far too much of the puck control possession game that Draisaitl creates. Tired of Drai working his ass off to protect pucks and open space for his line mates only to watch Lucic have it bounce off his stick or throw an errant pass to no one. He needs to prove he can do better in those areas before he should get time with either of our star centres.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The only thing you can predict for line combos is McDavid at C and Talbot/Koskinen in goal. The rest is fluid or do you forget whose coaching this team?

Reactions: Aerchon

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan
I like these lines. All depends on what some of the younger guys do at camp and pre-season. Fairly young team, hope the coaching staff does a better job this year to play to our strengths and not gift veterans ice time based on time spent in the league. And mistakes happen, don't punish guys(Puljujarvi) for mistakes and kill their confidence.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie/Yamamoto
Lucic - Strome - Caggiula/Aberg
Aberg/Yamamoto

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning
Bear

Bouchard a 9 game stint, more game only if he's spectacular. Otherwise don't rush him. Too bad he has to go back to juniors, has already played 3 seasons there.

Talbot
Koskinen

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I would be a very happy man if Pulju and Yamamoto both break-out this year. I think a realistically optimistic take is that one of them breaks out, and one treads water with glimpses of more. To make a bet, I'll say that Pulju finally puts it together this year and Yamamoto looks up and down, leading to a lineup like this:

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi/Rattie
Lucic - Drai - Rieder
Aberg - Strome - Yamamoto
Caggiula/Aberg

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Bouchard/Benning/Bear

Dadbot
Koskinen

If Sekera or Klefbom start to struggle, you bump Nurse up, maybe try Sekera on the right side and let Russell babysit our 6th D.

I know give the season Lucic just had, many are loathe to see him in the top 6, but he worked well with Drai in the past, and at his salary we have to hope he can bounce back to being a ~50 pt player that isn't a total tire fire.

Plus I think Strome would work best on a soft-minutes skill third line.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Strome - Yamamoto

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Benning/Bear

Talbot
Koskinen

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I say pool party and moto break out.
Both of them will help the Oilers reach the post season.
It's certainly possible.

The Bruins are a pretty good example of a bunch of rookies breaking out and being large part of them having such a great season.

They had Heinen and Debrusk put up 47 and 43 points respectively.

It's not completely outside the realm of possibility that Puljujarvi and Yamamoto could replicate that.

Now the Bruins did also have McAvoy put up 32 points in 65 games playing 22 minutes a night as a rookie and it's pretty unlikely we get that type of contribution from Bouchard fresh out of his draft.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
It's certainly possible.

The Bruins are a pretty good example of a bunch of rookies breaking out and being large part of them having such a great season.

They had Heinen and Debrusk put up 47 and 43 points respectively.

It's not completely outside the realm of possibility that Puljujarvi and Yamamoto could replicate that.

Now the Bruins did also have McAvoy put up 32 points in 65 games playing 22 minutes a night as a rookie and it's pretty unlikely we get that type of contribution from Bouchard fresh out of his draft.

Exactly. It isn't a reach to say they both produce 50 points. Having Connor and Leon on seperate lines allows both moto and pool party to have a chance to play with extraordinary talent.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd roll out this:
Nuge-Mcdavid-Rattie
Rieder-Drai-Pulju
Lucic-Strome-Yamo
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Russel
Sekera-Bouchard/Bear/Benning

Dadbot
Koskinen

I would make a trade with the Isles for Ho-Sang in exchange for a pick and play him at 1rw

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
The results weren’t there last season, but I like what Strome and Pulju had going in the last quarter of the year. Keep them together to start the year. If the kid takes off, move him up by all means.

I was going to type out my line combos but then I realized I’m lazy. And no matter how you slice it our winger depth still relies on a lot of them improving.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Despite how much I dislike him I suppose I should be realistic with how Caguillia is most likely to be used:

RNH McDavid Rattie (Looked great)
Caguillia Leon Reider (relies on chemistry too heavily but may work)
Lucic Strome Puliarvi (reclamation line. A incredible third line really)
Kharia Brodziach Kassian (little slow but my lord will this line punish)

These lines are more balanced. Something Todd doesn't like to do but maybe the new coaches will see value on spreading out the talent. Gives equal opportunity to everyone.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Literally one scoring forward would be so huge for this team. If Yamamoto or Puljujarvi breakout this season, we probably would improve quite a bit. Pushing everyone down one spot makes it look much better.

In best case scenario both Yams and Puljujarvi breakout (45-60 Point players) and were laughing.

RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto
Lucic - Strome - Aberg/Caggiula
Caggiula/Aberg

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Russell
Sekera - Bouchard/Benning/Bear

Dadbot
Koskinen

Lucic and Strome were actually good together last year. Definitely think too that Lucic should be put there unless he really shows he is a top 6 forward again. Let the guy get his act together with the reduced ice time giving him more energy in his shifts, the weaker competition.

Still amazed at how McLellan stood there staring at Lucic for 2 straight months, seeing him slow and exhausted playing way too much trying to keep up with McDavid, getting completely owned by top defenders who could effortlessly get pucks away from him. McLellan just kept throwing him out there to try to get him his goal.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lucic and Strome were actually good together last year. Definitely think too that Lucic should be put there unless he really shows he is a top 6 forward again. Let the guy get his act together with the reduced ice time giving him more energy in his shifts, the weaker competition.

Still amazed at how McLellan stood there staring at Lucic for 2 straight months, seeing him slow and exhausted playing way too much trying to keep up with McDavid, getting completely owned by top defenders who could effortlessly get pucks away from him. McLellan just kept throwing him out there to try to get him his goal.
I think that was one of Lucic's major issues aside from bad puck luck killing his confidence which continued to snowball. Lucic can't play with the pace or frequency that McDavid can and it was dumb to think he could.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I've said this before too. Lucic has struggled in the past. His teams have in the past, sent him down to the third line to go simplify the game, bash some heads and get some confidence. Instead we just hoped he figured it out.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I've said this before too. Lucic has struggled in the past. His teams have in the past, sent him down to the third line to go simplify the game, bash some heads and get some confidence. Instead we just hoped he figured it out.

He was third line for a good chunk of last season, wasn't he?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He was third line for a good chunk of last season, wasn't he?
To end the season, yes. But the issue was he was slumping and it was obvious and instead of dropping him so he could get his head back on, they kept sending him out there for like...20+ games. His third line demotion was too late for him to rebuild confidence. That said that third line looked good

Reactions: Blue line Howie

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
To end the season, yes. But the issue was he was slumping and it was obvious and instead of dropping him so he could get his head back on, they kept sending him out there for like...20+ games. His third line demotion was too late for him to rebuild confidence. That said that third line looked good

How many games should he need to build his confidence?

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Yeah, that critical time period of when he needed to be demoted was incredibly mishandled.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Now that Maroon is going to the Blues and Lucic is still here, I think the team is set.

I think the Oilers expect Yamamoto to make the team and will give him every opportunity.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie/JP/Yama
Rieder - Drai - JP/Yama
Lucic - Strome - Cagg/Aberg/JP
Khaira- Brodziak - Kassian

I would prefer JP with McDavid and Yama with Drai. I think Lucic should be on the third line but I think they start him on the second line. I think they’re will be a revolving door on the right side unless JP/Yama really make their mark.

Nurse - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Klefbom - Benning
Bouchard

I think Bouchard will be on the team. Not saying he should be but like Yamamoto he will be given every opportunity.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Now that Maroon is going to the Blues and Lucic is still here, I think the team is set.

I think the Oilers expect Yamamoto to make the team and will give him every opportunity.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie/JP/Yama
Rieder - Drai - JP/Yama
Lucic - Strome - Cagg/Aberg/JP
Khaira- Brodziak - Kassian

I would prefer JP with McDavid and Yama with Drai. I think Lucic should be on the third line but I think they start him on the second line. I think they’re will be a revolving door on the right side unless JP/Yama really make their mark.

Nurse - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Klefbom - Benning
Bouchard

I think Bouchard will be on the team. Not saying he should be but like Yamamoto he will be given every opportunity.
I don't think they expect anything from him.

I think at most they expect him to challenge for a spot but that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad