Salary Cap: Oilers line combos for the 18/19 season your predictions

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Devastating critique. You made the claim that absolutely every other poster agreed with your thoughts on the topic of the bright line for Chia losing his job is playoffs. Far from that in reality, just because of human nature.

I'm pretty confident I'm right in this one and that's about as provable as it gets. Good luck living with the anger when Chia is still GM this time next season. :D

lol ok believe whatever delusion helps you sleep at night. Its playoffs or bust for him. Oilers will go on, he won't. What exactly are you even cheerleading here? That the Oilers can keep be incompetent and not even make the playoffs and keep the idiots in charge employed as if you think that's some kind of victory? Sweet merciful crap, how low can this go, Kevin Lowe-era is positively becoming the dynasty years by comparison.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What a gross looking line up. I know I’ll be super casual about this team next season haha

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Every team has this issue in some way, but there so much loops back to Klefbom and Sekera health, likely more so than even McDavid's. If they're good to go, then this team's transistion game should be strong once again and getting back to 100 points isn't unrealistic.

I'm still hoping for another RH OFD to take some of that weight out off them, but there's a lot of summer left. Honestly, just give me a Yannick Weber and I'm happy.

RNH-McDavid-Strome
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Caggiula-Khaira-Slepy/Aberg

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Benning/Bear/Weber
Benning, Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I still think competitive hockey in April saves their jobs. If the Oilers miss out on the playoffs in the last weekend then Chia will be ok. Not sure about T-Mac under those circumstances.

They have to make the playoffs, no if ands or buts. Making the playoffs 1 out of McDavid's first 4 seasons would be an utter disaster and everybody should get canned as a result if that happened.

Anyway, here's my stab at the lineup....

RNH-McDavid-Rattie or Yamamoto
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Rieder (does Rieder play the right side?)
Cagguila-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning
Gravel or Lowe

Obviously a lot of moving parts especially in the forward group. Rattie and Cagguila shouldn't feel secure, Kassian really shouldn't either. Puljujarvi needs to start showing something right off the bat but he'll be gifted a spot regardless. A dark horse could be Marody, plays a mature game. Don't know what to do with Aberg, might see him dealt at some point.
Bouchard will likely get sent down after a few game look, Bear to the AHL but look for him to get called up at some point later in the season.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
lol ok believe whatever delusion helps you sleep at night. Its playoffs or bust for him. Oilers will go on, he won't. What exactly are you even cheerleading here? That the Oilers can keep be incompetent and not even make the playoffs and keep the idiots in charge employed as if you think that's some kind of victory?

It is possible to have a successful year and miss the playoffs. Reasonable people get that.

Now that it doesn't look like Maroon has an opening in St. Louis, I wonder if he would come back to the Oilers for a season.

Nuge-McDavid-Yamamoto
Maroon-Drai-Rieder
Looch-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg/Caggiula

Last edited:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Whatever line with McDavid & Nuge will produce. Draisaitl needs help... JP having a breakout year would solve many concerns. Lucic bouncing back would be a nice touch, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think people underestimate the impact of our new assistant coaches. Our PK will improve, hopefully the PP will. If the powerplay improves, we'll be in a great spot. Special teams played a big part in us missing the playoffs imo. Our bottom 6 is solid though. Strome is a good 3C, Brodziak a great 4C. Our options on the wings in the bottom 6 are solid as well.

On D we basically have three 2nd pairs... I'm not too worried. The best pairs will rise to the top and handle the tougher assignments. The fact that we also have Yawney is a plus, but I don't expect him to work miracles from day 1, that takes time.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
When I look at line combinations I think they really lack an established RW. In an ideal world they would get rid of Lucic and either get or use the cap on someone who can play RW.

When I look at the roster I think Lucic should be the LW3. I really don’t want him playing in the top 6 unless hes dramatically better but i have my doubts. I personally think Cagguila is the LW4 butI know the coaching staff will play him higher in the lineup than he should be. Then theres Khaira who is a LW3 or 4C. I honestly think Khaira was better than Lucic last year.

Did Khaira play RW at all last year?

I personally just don’t like slotting Rattie into the line up unless Yamamotos not ready. Even with JP and Yama I think we have a hole in the right side.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
wild cards are strome and nurse--the addition of Brodziuk could mean that strome is on the outside looking in-we will resign Nurse

Bouchard will start with the oilers--Sekera being a natural LHD will play with him--after 9 games if he is not ready--move Sekera to RHD with Nurse on LHD and move Russell with Benning

wild card to this line up is strome

what is your Cap hit line up

LinesLeft WingCap hitCenterCap HitRight WingCap Hit
1Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan "A"6McDavid, Connor "C"12.5Puljujärvi, Jesse0.925
2Lucic, Milan "A"6Draisaitl, Leon8.5Rieder, Tobias2
3Åberg, Pontus0.65Brodziak, Kyle1.15Rattie, Ty0.8
4Khaira, Jujhar0.675Caggiula, Drake1.5Kassian, Zack1.9542.65
Left DCap HitRight DCap HitGoaliesCap hit
Sekera, Andrej5.5Evan Bouchard0.9Talbot, Cam4.166
Klefbom, Oscar4.166Larsson, Adam "A"4.166Koskinen, Mikko2.5
Nurse, Darnell4Benning, Matthew1.9
Russell, Kris4
BuyoutPouliot, Benoit1.333
Gryba, Eric0.3
BurriedMontoya, Al0.3
Cap79.5
space3.619
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
No love for Bear :oops:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It is possible to have a successful year and miss the playoffs. Reasonable people get that.

Sure, but that doesn't mean the GM will keep his job. For example, Chia was fired after the Bruins missed the playoffs by two points.

Now that it doesn't look like Maroon has an opening in St. Louis, I wonder if he would come back to the Oilers for a season.

Nuge-McDavid-Yamamoto
Maroon-Drai-Rieder
Looch-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg/Caggiula

Maroon will want term. Four years minimum.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
The Nuge // The Goat // The Yams (What's the Yams)
The Contract // The Germanator // The Nevernude
(Down with) The Sikhness // The Cap Space // The Pool Party
The Drake // The Brodigal Son // The Zack Attack

Extras: The Pope // The Rat

The Bomb // The Hartbreaker
The Doctor // The Shinpad Assassin
The Starfish // The Walk-Around

Extra: The Graveller

The Dadbot
The Double Value

Reactions: voxel

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Sure, but that doesn't mean the GM will keep his job. For example, Chia was fired after the Bruins missed the playoffs by two points.

I get what you are saying, but my post was in response to a claim that not one person would agree that the Oilers could miss the playoffs and Chia could still keep his job.

Maroon will want term. Four years minimum.

Who is going to give it to him? A one year deal could work for both parties. He knows the Oilers and might be willing to park himself here waiting for another shot with the Blues.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I get what you are saying, but my post was in response to a claim that not one person would agree that the Oilers could miss the playoffs and Chia could still keep his job.

Yeah I think you're a man alone on that one. He was on the hot seat this past season, it's playoffs or pink slip. (And let's be honest: Chia is probably gone before the Oilers win anything because that's usually how it goes in the NHL).

Who is going to give it to him? A one year deal could work for both parties. He knows the Oilers and might be willing to park himself here waiting for another shot with the Blues.

I see him landing in New Jersey, but there are a few teams with the space to give him salary and term out there while Edmonton has neither.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think:

Nuge-McD-Rattie
Rieder-Drai-Yamamoto
Lucic-Strome-JP
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

As much as people don't want Rattie on the top line, hes been decent in that spot. Give them TC together and exhibition games to build on it.

Reactions: SourOil

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I think:

Nuge-McD-Rattie
Rieder-Drai-Yamamoto
Lucic-Strome-JP
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

As much as people don't want Rattie on the top line, hes been decent in that spot. Give them TC together and exhibition games to build on it.
I'm wary of that top line. They were riding a hot streak, but their possession numbers were bad all across the board.

Fine with Rattie getting a look in the 1st line, but the leash should be extremely short.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I bumped into TM and managed to sneak a peak at his notebook. He had his opening night lineup on the first page. I couldn't take a picture but it looked something like this.

RNH-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Aberg
Caggiula-Brodziak-Yamamoto
Reider-Khaira-Kassian
JP, Rattie

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Bouchard
Nurse-Russel
Benning

PP1
Mcdavid-Lucic-Draisaitl
Caggiula-Klefbom

PP2
Brodziak-Aberg-RNH
Strome-Sekera

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I bumped into TM and managed to sneak a peak at his notebook. He had his opening night lineup on the first page. I couldn't take a picture but it looked something like this.

RNH-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Aberg
Caggiula-Brodziak-Yamamoto
Reider-Khaira-Kassian
JP, Rattie

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Bouchard
Nurse-Russel
Benning

PP1
Mcdavid-Lucic-Draisaitl
Caggiula-Klefbom

PP2
Brodziak-Aberg-RNH
Strome-Sekera

LOL man. I can't actually picture him doing this a few games... Let's hope his new assistants get some control over line making.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'm wary of that top line. They were riding a hot streak, but their possession numbers were bad all across the board.

Fine with Rattie getting a look in the 1st line, but the leash should be extremely short.

Nope, and he shouldn't be if he struggles up there. My lineup was more of an opening night roster if no further changes are made by trade.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I just hope they cut the roster down quickly this year and don’t waste time playing ahl guys in the final games leading up to the regular season.

We need every advantage we can get this year.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Not too disappointed by Chia's off season so far. As was mentioned above though, the forward depth is staggeringly awful, especially on the wings. I'd dare say the team really doesn't even have a proven NHL winger going into next season given Lucic's regression last year. The whole house of cards hinges on Lucic bouncing back next year, and that's a bet I probably wouldn't make.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Nuge-McDavid-Yamamoto
Maroon-Drai-Rieder
Looch-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian
Aberg/Caggiula

No it's not possible for a non-playoff season to be a "success" for this team at this point, sorry.

Maybe in the days when you are in year 1 or 2 of your rebuild with a Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano as your best players ... but this franchise has Connor McDavid, the best player in the world.

16/31 teams make the playoffs every year, more than half, if you miss, it means you're not even in the top half of the league with the best player in the world. That's pathetic.

Sorry but ask even Flames fans if they feel last season was a success for them, that's basically what you would be satisfied with. They were in the hunt for playoffs pretty much all year.

If you're sure "reasonable people" share your view go start a poll asking if missing the playoffs is acceptable next year as long as they're "close". If you think the majority (or even close) has the same POV of you on this issue, you are probably in for a rude awakening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad