Salary Cap: Oilers line combos for the 18/19 season your predictions

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know what else he can accomplish at the junior level. His skating needs work, and he definitely needs to pick up his intensity at times. He can do both of those at the NHL level.

I'm not saying I absolutely want him on the Oilers this year, but I wouldn't be upset if he did make it. This is assuming he has a phenomenal pre-season. Give him 9 games, go from there
Or he could do both of those at the junior level and not drown in the NHL...

Reactions: AUAIOMRN and voxel

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Strome 3M Nurse 3.50M Start with 13 forwards and 8 D including Bouchard(9 games). Replaced by Lowe. By Christmas Yamamoto and Bear come up from Bako. Lowe and Aberg go down. Rieder plays with Draisaitl at 2RW All year. I expect Puljujarvi to progress to 2RW and Rieder to move to 2LW while Lucic moves down at some point.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If the season started today and for the first 9 games at least:

RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto/Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Aberg/Caggiula - Strome - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Russell
Nurse - Benning/Bear/Bouchard

Talbot
Koskinen

This team could do damage if there is chemistry. The D, 3rd line, and Milan Lucic are the wild cards IMO. If they play well, this team is gonna do some damage.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Or he could do both of those at the junior level and not drown in the NHL...
So you're one of those people that think if Bouchard plays phenomenal he should still be sent back? Got it

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So you're one of those people that think if Bouchard plays phenomenal he should still be sent back? Got it
If he's phenomenal than sure he can stay. But there is a difference between "Oilers ready" and actually ready. If he's the best option on a bad defense for a PP guy, that doesn't mean he's ready to play in this league. Could just mean we have no depth.

Same thing happened with Drai, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
If he's phenomenal than sure he can stay. But there is a difference between "Oilers ready" and actually ready. If he's the best option on a bad defense for a PP guy, that doesn't mean he's ready to play in this league. Could just mean we have no depth.

Same thing happened with Drai, Puljujarvi and Yamamoto.
Ok so what are you arguing? I clearly stated that.

You're acting as if I said he should be a lock to be in the NHL this year

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH McDavid Yamamoto
Reider Draisaitl Puljujarvi
Lucic Strome Caggiula
Khaira Brodziak Kassian
Aberg/Rattie

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Sekera
Russell Benning
Bear

Is what I think our lineup will actually look like a week or two into the season.

Yamamoto will outplay every other pure winger causing the coaching staff to have to use him.

Bouchard goes down after a few NHL games.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you foresee any scenario where they miss the postseason, yet T-Mac & Chia keep their jobs? Or is this their last chance?

No chance.

After what happened to Tavares in NYI ... even Katz is going to be crapping his pants that this could be the repeat of that if they don't intervene immediately.

I'll even go so far as to say if this team is not .500 by Thanksgiving, Todd is done 100% and Gulutzan will take over.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
No chance.

After what happened to Tavares in NYI ... even Katz is going to be crapping his pants that this could be the repeat of that if they don't intervene immediately.

I'll even go so far as to say if this team is not .500 by Thanksgiving, Todd is done 100% and Gulutzan will take over.

I assume your referring to # 97? I can't see him forcing a trade. He's got too much class. But, I see your point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I assume your referring to # 97? I can't see him forcing a trade. He's got too much class. But, I see your point.

And Tavares was just as classy and even more quiet of a person than McDavid ... how many people are angry at him right now in the NYI fanbase. I see plenty of jersey burning and "f*** you Tavares" comments.

Don't push a great athlete, they all have a breaking point.

Oilers want to test the theory of how much you can frustrate your star player before he bails out may not like the results of that experiment.

If they miss the playoffs again next year, it's a full on emergency for the franchise, there's zero doubt about it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
RNH McDavid Rattie
Rieder Draisaitl Puliarvi
Lucic Strome Yamamoto
Kharia Brodziach Kassian
Caguillia

Sekera Larsson
Klefbom Russell
Nurse Bear/Bouchard for 9
Benning

A lot of guys in the minors that can push someone out.

Not a world beating line up but good and with pressure from the prospects.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Do you foresee any scenario where they miss the postseason, yet T-Mac & Chia keep their jobs? Or is this their last chance?

I still think competitive hockey in April saves their jobs. If the Oilers miss out on the playoffs in the last weekend then Chia will be ok. Not sure about T-Mac under those circumstances.

That's a lot of pressure on opening night. The Oilers play exactly one game before Canadian Thanksgiving. :sarcasm:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Ill go bold

Nugent Hopkins-McDavid-Marody
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Reider-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Brodziak-Caggiula
Kassian, Aberg

Klefbon-Larsson
Sekera-Bouchard
Nurse-Benning
Russell, Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Malone-Currie-Rattie
Benson-Vesel-Callahan
Gambardella-Hebig-Russell
Christoffer-Larkin-van Stralen
Vesey, Polei

Lowe-Bear
Jones-Mantha
Lagesson-Stanton
Day, Crevier Morin

Montoya
Skinner
Starrett
Wells

I expect a trade and some ahl signings.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still think competitive hockey in April saves their jobs. If the Oilers miss out on the playoffs in the last weekend then Chia will be ok. Not sure about T-Mac under those circumstances.

That's a lot of pressure on opening night. The Oilers play exactly one game before Canadian Thanksgiving. :sarcasm:

That's not good enough any more, the media is going to be yelling "Tavares Part Duex In Edmonton!!!!" allllllllllllllllll off-season and it will cost McDavid another Hart trophy, at some point he is going to entertain the thought of "what the hell is going on here? I'm getting screwed".

There's going to be a rising tide of panic even amongst the local media if they miss again, no way can this franchise with a straight face say the GM stays.

There's no chance in hell they could put enough lip stick on that pig to make it look presentable, even the local media IMO will start to turn 100% against the organization and you are going to start seeing things likely like jerseys thrown on the ice again for frustrating losses.

Reactions: mouz135

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
There's no chance in hell they could put enough lip stick on that pig to make it look presentable, even the local media IMO will start to turn 100% against the organization and you are going to start seeing things likely like jerseys thrown on the ice again for frustrating losses.

I got the part in bold the first time you said it.

Swearing doesn't make your case stronger, but if you feel like it does so be it.

93~95 points and missing out on the last weekend would be enough for Chia to keep his job I would guess. That would be the Oilers second best season in 13 years. A season in that range means the Oilers are either in the playoff hunt all season or they have a crazy hot run to come close at the end of the season. So yeah, good enough for Chia to keep his job.

Wasn't the jersey throwing in the midst of a 60 some point season?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I got the part in bold the first time you said it.

Swearing doesn't make your case stronger, but if you feel like it does so be it.

93~95 points and missing out on the last weekend would be enough for Chia to keep his job I would guess. That would be the Oilers second best season in 13 years. A season in that range means the Oilers are either in the playoff hunt all season or they have a crazy hot run to come close at the end of the season. So yeah, good enough for Chia to keep his job.

Wasn't the jersey throwing in the midst of a 60 some point season?

People threw a jersey into a urinal this past season ... you underestimate how much frustration is building.

In a way it will be worse than those loser years ... people expect results now, real ones too, none of that lowered bar shit.

There is going to be anger and rage coming from this fan base and the comparisons to what Garth Snow did to the Islanders and how Tavares left them after years of incompetence is going to be non-stop from the media.

If the Oilers didn't want this type of pressure they could've passed that golden ticket right over to Buffalo and taken Eichel or Hanifin instead.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Something I think should be interesting is our line-up that includes Corsica's player rating system. I know it's probably horseshit to judge players off it but it just gives us some expectations into next season. Everything is ranked by position. I think it factors the last 200 games played to be part of the formulation but I could be wrong.

Nuge(44th)-McDavid(1st)-Rattie(63rd)
Aberg(106th)-Drastaitl(31st)-Pulujarvi(90th)
Lucic(110th)-Brodziak(87th)-Reider(102nd)
Khaira(159th)-Strome(108th)-Caggiula(113th)

Klefbom(17th)-Larsson(47th)
Sekera(32nd)-Benning(48th)
Nurse(87th)-Russell(80th)

Talbot(21st)

Way too many 3rd and 4th liners up front. No top line player outside of McDavid. We are going to need a lot of bounce-back/comeback seasons. I expect another bottom ten finish unless guys like Lucic, Pulujarvi, Strome, and Caggiula add some consistency to their games.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
People threw a jersey into a urinal this past season ... you underestimate how much frustration is building.

In a way it will be worse than those loser years ... people expect results now, real ones too, none of that lowered bar ****.

I wonder why images of that one jersey never made the news. :D

A 15-point improvement is far from lowering the bar. Second best season in a dozen years is far from lowering the bar. This ain't the NHL when the Oilers entered the league and only five teams missed the playoffs. We are only one season away from half the teams in the league missing the playoffs, although the league may do something about when Seattle comes on board.

There is going to be anger and rage coming from this fan base and the comparisons to what Garth Snow did to the Islanders and how Tavares left them after years of incompetence is going to be non-stop from the media.

You are really projecting your own views onto the 'fan base' and 'the media'.

Anger and rage are mighty strong words. Sure Tavares might have left because he was upset at Islanders management, but wanting to play at home sure seems like it played a big role. McDavid is signed for a long time with a huge contract.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wonder why images of that one jersey never made the news. :D

A 15-point improvement is far from lowering the bar. Second best season in a dozen years is far from lowering the bar. This ain't the NHL when the Oilers entered the league and only five teams missed the playoffs. We are only one season away from half the teams in the league missing the playoffs, although the league may do something about when Seattle comes on board.

You are really projecting your own views onto the 'fan base' and 'the media'.

Anger and rage are mighty strong words. Sure Tavares might have left because he was upset at Islanders management, but wanting to play at home sure seems like it played a big role. McDavid is signed for a long time with a huge contract.

I honestly don't think there's even a single person on this board who shares your POV on this be it positive or negative poster.

3/4 years without playoffs with McDavid if that's how it goes is so ugly it can't be excused or put into a passable light.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
And Tavares was just as classy and even more quiet of a person than McDavid ... how many people are angry at him right now in the NYI fanbase. I see plenty of jersey burning and "**** you Tavares" comments.

Don't push a great athlete, they all have a breaking point.

Oilers want to test the theory of how much you can frustrate your star player before he bails out may not like the results of that experiment.

If they miss the playoffs again next year, it's a full on emergency for the franchise, there's zero doubt about it.

It depends on how this miss the playoffs. If like last season when it was settled by Dec... sure. If we are battling and somehow every team in the West goes to a historic winning streak and we barely fall out... maybe not. Hope is the word.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I honestly don't think there's even a single person on this board who shares your POV on this be it positive or negative poster.

3/4 years without playoffs with McDavid if that's how it goes is so ugly it can't be excused or put into a passable light.

Again with the never ending lie about McDavid? He missed HALF OF HIS ROOKIE SEASON.

I really don't think every single other poster on this board thinks Chiarelli deserves to be fired no matter what if the Oilers miss the playoffs. Mature, reasonable adults can come up with scenarios why Chia would deserve to keep his job even if the Oilers miss the playoffs again. Hopefully, we don't get to that point.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You didn't answer the question. I simply stated that if the Oilers were to make a move like trading Lucic, would you update the table? So that this thread could be used all throughout the summer as the Oilers make changes.

RNH (6 M)-McDavid (12.5 M)-Rattie (0.8 M)
Lucic (6 M)-Draisaitl (8.5 M)-Rieder (2 M)
Khaira(0.675 M)-Strome ( 3 M)-Puljujarvi (0.925 M)
Caggiula (1.5 M)-Brodziak (1.15 M)-Kassian (1.95 M)

Klefbom (4.166 M)-Larsson (4.166 M)
Nurse (4.25 M)-Sekera (5.5 M)
Russell (4 M)-Benning (1.9 M)

Talbot (4.166 M)
Koskinen (2.5 M)

Buyouts/minors = 1.33 M + 0.33 M + 0.33 M = 1.99 M
Total Cap Hit = 77.638 M

This makes a lot of sense.
Only thing I'm curious about is how many years we lock Nurse up for.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Again with the never ending lie about McDavid? He missed HALF OF HIS ROOKIE SEASON.

I really don't think every single other poster on this board thinks Chiarelli deserves to be fired no matter what if the Oilers miss the playoffs. Mature, reasonable adults can come up with scenarios why Chia would deserve to keep his job even if the Oilers miss the playoffs again. Hopefully, we don't get to that point.

Good luck finding anyone else who agrees with you on that one.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Good luck finding anyone else who agrees with you on that one.

Devastating critique. You made the claim that absolutely every other poster agreed with your thoughts on the topic of the bright line for Chia losing his job is playoffs. Far from that in reality, just because of human nature.

I'm pretty confident I'm right in this one and that's about as provable as it gets. Good luck living with the anger when Chia is still GM this time next season. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad