Friedman: Oilers interested in St. Louis Blues goaltender Ville Husso

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Which is why it's stupid to give goalies big and long contracts. They can go from awesome to awful in a season or two.

So very true or at least a unknown and goalie who hasn't been in the league for enough time to truly evaluate his record and consistency.

The handful of elite goalies took years of lights out play to earn a good contract. Imo the nhl ownership and a majority of these GMs have no business either owning a team or Managing the business. You can clearly see many of these owners are cheap out of touch and don't have any basic skills or knowledge of the game. Look at the GMs they hire many are awful at their jobs , Chicago as a example the Wirtz family who has owned the team since conception admitted they know nothing about the sport or enough about the GM position and it shows they literally brought in a assistant gm from baseball to interview, that's absolutely absurd bringing in someone who has never played or studied the sport your going to potentially hire someone who has no clue on how to evaluate talent.

Reactions: jepari88

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Find me one trade, in history, where a playoff contender traded their thriving backup G, while their starting goalie is playing like crap, for a modest draft pick. Find me one example.
\
When does a clear playoff team sell off a regular goalie, much less the one that seems to have taken over the job? A 1st would not cut it. Not close

I've watched a few Oilers games in the last month or so and the goaltending is absolutely embarrassing

No Kidding. Tell Oiler fans something they don't know!

Why would the Blues trade Husso while Binnington is slowly turning into garbage?

I can only assume if St. Louis were actually listening to a trade for Husso they aren't convinced he can keep up his current pace of excellent play. Armstrong would have to be utterly convinced that Binnington is his guy and that another playoff cup run is in him. That is the only thing that makes sense to me. Otherwise, what everyone said above is correct; it makes zero sense for the Blues to deal Husso. Like. Zero. And to a team they're fighting with for a playoff spot? GMs aren't that dumb. Are they?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So very true or at least a unknown and goalie who hasn't been in the league for enough time to truly evaluate his record and consistency.

The handful of elite goalies took years of lights out play to earn a good contract. Imo the nhl ownership and a majority of these GMs have no business either owning a team or Managing the business. You can clearly see many of these owners are cheap out of touch and don't have any basic skills or knowledge of the game. Look at the GMs they hire many are awful at their jobs , Chicago as a example the Wirtz family who has owned the team since conception admitted they know nothing about the sport or enough about the GM position and it shows they literally brought in a assistant gm from baseball to interview, that's absolutely absurd bringing in someone who has never played or studied the sport your going to potentially hire someone who has no clue on how to evaluate talent.

It's why a guy like Chiarelli gets interviewed in Chicago. He brutalized the Oilers but he'll get another chance as a GM somewhere else. It is an old boys club to put it politely. They recycle everyone.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
It's why a guy like Chiarelli gets interviewed in Chicago. He brutalized the Oilers but he'll get another chance as a GM somewhere else. It is an old boys club to put it politely. They recycle everyone.

Your absolutely correct. If the league had owners who took more interest in the workings and fundamentals of the sport and had standards and expectations they demand from their Gm and his qualifications and held people accountable each year , the league imo would improve dramatically.

They have implemented so many ridiculous rules and it's truly watered down the game and experience as well as the quality of players .

I know some people aren't fans or hate the fighting aspect of hockey , but I feel that part of the game which has been intentionally lost has lead more to a soft sport. Those fights would create rivalries and energize the teams and players as well as fans.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
And Wallstadl would help now ?

You can argue Wallstedt is closer to the NHL than Bourgault. Elite G prospects are much rarer commodities than run of the mill top 6 wingers and thus have higher trade value that could've been leveraged to acquire more and/or better talent to help you now. Or at worst the Oilers would feel confident that in the next couple years they have their crease shored up for the next decade.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The moment the oilers go all in on Husso he'll turn back into a pumpkin.

Spencer Martin is available from the Canucks, he's got a .958 sv% in the NHL this year. We'll take Holloway if you are offering

Reactions: Cogburn

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’m 100% against trading him, but the idea that he’d turn into a pumpkin the second he got moved is hilarious to me. Y’all really must not be paying attention to how bad our defense has performed this year as well lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m 100% against trading him, but the idea that he’d turn into a pumpkin the second he got moved is hilarious to me. Y’all really must not be paying attention to how bad our defense has performed this year as well lol.
He’s been very good for the Blues. Might as well take a run in the playoffs having him on the roster. 2nd round or 3rd round pick won’t mean much if Binnington struggles.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They need a goalie, but why on earth are Korpisalo and Jones two of the names they are looking at? Both are not very good at all, and even pretty bad a lot of the time.

Reactions: teddygmr

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Husso is better than Binnington. This 'hot streak' and 'unproven' talk has truth to it - but ignoring Husso's actual ability is a fundamental mistake on evaluating goaltenders. Goaltenders are historically hot and cold, and some goaltenders hit their stride mid to late 20's (there are many examples). Heck, the goalie Husso stole the net from came out of nowhere and won a cup.

Husso isn't a backup goaltender anymore. He's a goalie who has been red hot and has stolen the net from Binnington. This is the trajectory many goalies have to follow to becoming a legitimate starter. I would say the likelihood of Husso being a better goaltender than Binnington for the next 5 years is quite high. My hunch is that the Blues understand the volatility of goaltenders and will want to hold both so a mistake can be avoided. Trading Husso could end up being a disaster and his value isn't high enough to take advantage of a sell high player.

A lot of posters have scoffed or laughed at the idea of a Husso for Holloway type deal. I don't think the Blues would take that deal if it was real anyways - a typical over-rating of a young prospect that was drafted high.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
When Binny hoists the Cup as a Blue, come talk to me about him being this great netminder. Funny how everyone was on him for playing like trash or the team being bad but Binny is trash? You don’t hoist the Cup without him in goal.

15 games played and he’s the messiah? Come on, Blues fans have been here before and we got goalies we can call up who will fight for us. Edmonton want one of them? Cause y’all don’t have the players we need to take what we got.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm not eager to trade Husso, but if we could turn a pending UFA into Chiarot then it would be tough to turn down. Considering Husso's value coming into this season, it would be like found money for the Blues. We'd still have to cut salary somehow and likely ditch Scandella to someone.

Like most if not all Blues fans, I'm not eager to trade Husso but if we could use him to fill a need while keeping our prospects and 1st then it would be hard not to pull the trigger. I honestly think this kid is gonna be something special, not just a flash in the pan.

That was my thinking. Husso is basically found money, while that shouldn't diminish his value, I think it makes him more likely to be traded considering his UFA status next year, and Binnington has already won a cup for you. They could maybe find someone better than Chiarot for the Price but this would be one way for them to shore up their playoff defense without harming the future of the team.

Edmonton gets Husso for a 2nd + 3rd , which is better than trading the same package for Korpisalo IMO

Montreal gives Chiarot + 5th for a 2nd and 2 3rd round picks. I see Chiarot's value as less than a 1st, but more than a late 2nd

Reactions: Reality Czech

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Husso is better than Binnington. This 'hot streak' and 'unproven' talk has truth to it - but ignoring Husso's actual ability is a fundamental mistake on evaluating goaltenders. Goaltenders are historically hot and cold, and some goaltenders hit their stride mid to late 20's (there are many examples). Heck, the goalie Husso stole the net from came out of nowhere and won a cup.

Husso isn't a backup goaltender anymore. He's a goalie who has been red hot and has stolen the net from Binnington. This is the trajectory many goalies have to follow to becoming a legitimate starter. I would say the likelihood of Husso being a better goaltender than Binnington for the next 5 years is quite high. My hunch is that the Blues understand the volatility of goaltenders and will want to hold both so a mistake can be avoided. Trading Husso could end up being a disaster and his value isn't high enough to take advantage of a sell high player.

A lot of posters have scoffed or laughed at the idea of a Husso for Holloway type deal. I don't think the Blues would take that deal if it was real anyways - a typical over-rating of a young prospect that was drafted high.
Your argument that "the likelihood of Husso being a better goaltender than Binnington for the next five years is quite high" is totally unsupported.

This is Binnington's first struggle with adversity at the NHL level. He's never lost his NHL starter job to anyone before. Equally as knowingly as you state the trajectory of goalies certainly anyone confident enough to do that should know that goalies go through swings. Binnington is being written off on his first swing, and treated like actually winning the Cup was the same as Scott Darling or some nothing shlub like that being hot for a month. The guy had 56 starts, went 40-15-1 in them and won three games under the utmost crucible of pressure in Boston Garden. The idea that he could do this at 25 but can't at 28 because he was a one-hit wonder is clearly being fueled by people with a personality grudge.

No logical and calm analysis could just come up with "the likelihood is quite high" based on the facts you have in front of you. It's what people want to happen. The idea that Binnington could do what he did for the Blues people need to self-soothingly understand as a lucky fluke and not because talent resides in the guy which could resurface. It resides in the guy trying to unseat him, so obviously after 15 games this year, none of which are playoff games? I mean this is clownshow type analysis.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Binnington has been garbage and no expansion draft to worry about so why would St. Louis do this?

Only because Husso is UFA after this year and is likely to test the market to try and find a starting gig elsewhere. I can't imagine he'd extend during the season unless we really blow him away with an offer. If the Blues pay him well and promise him a legit chance to be the starter, he might want to stay but with the long-term commitment to Binnington I'm not sure that will happen.

Not saying I'd trade him 100% but that is the reasoning behind it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad