Friedman: Oilers interested in St. Louis Blues goaltender Ville Husso

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I2OqslW.png

That costs Holloway. Would be very expensive for the Oil.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That’s a goalie St Louis plays and counts on. St Louis is a playoff team. He’s probably not available so you’d most definitely pay up to make him so. Okay.

the guy is 27 and wasn't even a great AHL goalie for his last couple years in the league. He's just on a hot streak.

If St Louis could pull Holloway they should do it and laugh until they hurt something.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
.941 save pct? The Blues would be insane to trade him. Even though they risk losing him for nothing in the offseason his team is in the playoff picture and they need him.

And why would the Oilers be trading away valuable assets on a rental when their playoff hopes are fading so quickly?

Reactions: teddygmr

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Everything has a price. As I said, given the circumstances, that’s going to be very expensive for the Oil.

target a non playoff team.
Listen Dibiase, not everthing has a price. If Husso is the key to the Blues' Stanley Cup run, Holloway wouldn't get it done anyway. If they would consider moving Husso, its because the aren't interested in commiting long term, and they will ask for a lot, but they also will know he is a UFA this summer and will keep their trade requests at least somewhat reasonable. Which probably isn't futures anyway.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Listen Dibiase, not everthing has a price. If Husso is the key to the Blues' Stanley Cup run, Holloway wouldn't get it done anyway. If they would consider moving Husso, its because the aren't interested in commiting long term, and they will ask for a lot, but they also will know he is a UFA this summer and will keep their trade requests at least somewhat reasonable. Which probably isn't futures anyway.

That is true, I assume the Blues would want a guy who'd help them on their cup run.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A pending UFA would have a price, but his great play and key role on a playoff team dictate a rather sizable overpay. Oil should look elsewhere.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Might be interesting to look at what this board's reaction was when Yzerman traded Conacher for Bishop. I honestly don't remember if it was viewed as a massive overpayment at the time like I assume Holloway would be for Husso.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Well Holland won't pay that as previously stated, no 1sts or top prospects for rentals. So no dice on that.
Exactly, and it would have to be something like that for the Blues to even consider.

Husso's value is too volatile right now. His sample size is too small to even know what kind of UFA contract he will get from the Blues or someone else. Make no mistake, he looks like he's on a steady calm improvement track and goalies do emerge at his age. The last one I remember doing it in his draft +8 year was a guy named Binnington. That worked out well.

FWIW Husso is the throw in on an old Blues-Leafs trade:
Polak for Gunnarsson + 4th (Husso)

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I mean Carolina traded their Calder winner in Nedeljkovic for nothing basically.

Vezina winner Fleury was traded for nothing too

Goaltending is a weird position. Either worth a lot to a team or worth super little. So it's heavily team dependent and also time dependent. The volatility in their price is super high. Right now, it's not looking good for the Oilers, but they could get a goalie for cheap in the offseason.

Reactions: belair

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I mean Carolina traded their Calder winner in Nedeljkovic for nothing basically.

Vezina winner Fleury was traded for nothing too
That's exactly why Oilers won't trade for Husso - nobody is going to just give him away because Blues need him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad