Friedman: Oilers interested in St. Louis Blues goaltender Ville Husso

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Almost same amount of games played last year as this and his SV percentage was under 900. Can't throw assets at a guy who could just be on a hot streak imo.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Holland will get taken to the cleaners again. If I was an opposing GM I'd squeeze holland like a lemon.

He truly is one of the worst GM's in the league. If it wasn't for his European scouts in Detroit he wouldn't have his cup rings and be considered by many a great hockey mind.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
His current value to the Blues is much more than his actual value, I can't see a trade working out

boots legrand

Jun 13, 2018
A trade in volving Husso now ? -it won't happen. But..... he (Husso) is an UFA next season . Binnington is signed for the next 2 years. The Blues have a couple of promising young goalies in the system. Let's see how Binnington responds to this" out of the Blue " challenge to his top spot

Reactions: Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A trade in volving Husso now ? -it won't happen. But..... he (Husso) is an UFA next season . Binnington is signed for the next 2 years. The Blues have a couple of promising young goalies in the system. Let's see how Binnington responds to this" out of the Blue " challenge to his top spot
Signing him in the offseason would be a good idea - if they can fit his new cap hit into their overall situation.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
His current value to the Blues is much more than his actual value, I can't see a trade working out

Pretty much this.

It will be unfortunate if the Blues lose UFA Husso for nothing, but the Blues cannot risk crippling themselves this season and during the playoffs by not having a goalie tandem in place, whether due to performance, injuries or (more) COVID randomness.

Also, there is always the chance that (if the Blues cannot keep him) the Blues could get a smaller, token asset by trading his rights after the season ends.

This Oiler interest talk almost seems like backdoor, off the record tampering through the press to communicate interest in him in advance of the UFA period (“don’t re-up too early in St. Louis, Mr. Husso, we are desperate to pay you and give you a bigger role when you hit UFA”’).

There is half a season left, but if Husso trends further upward, don’t rule out the Blues potentially looking to ship out Binny and keep Husso (and potentially save some cap space). But like I said, lots of season left for both goalies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Pretty much this.

It will be unfortunate if the Blues lose UFA Husso for nothing, but the Blues cannot risk crippling themselves this season and during the playoffs by not having a goalie tandem in place, whether due to performance, injuries or (more) COVID randomness.

Also, there is always the chance that (if the Blues cannot keep him) the Blues could get a smaller, token asset by trading his rights after the season ends.

This Oiler interest talk almost seems like backdoor, off the record tampering through the press to communicate interest in him in advance of the UFA period (“don’t re-up too early in St. Louis, Mr. Husso, we are desperate to pay you and give you a bigger role when you hit UFA”’).

There is half a season left, but if Husso trends further upward, don’t rule out the Blues potentially looking to ship out Binny and keep Husso (and potentially save some cap space). But like I said, lots of season left for both goalies.

Interesting take. I'd be surprised if Oilers management had the brains to do that though...

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Binnington has a fat contract for someone who Blues fans are saying hasn’t played well this year.

With Husso being a UFA, now would be the perfect time to sell high.

Unless you guys want to give up Binnington, or believe you could keep both goalies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
With how hot and cold Binnington is I would consider this a non-starter for St. Louis, even if Edmonton overpays. Goaltending is a huge thing to have, and I could very well see Husso steal the net from Binnington come playoff time. Ride the hot goalie almost always seems to be the best strategy come playoff time so I think it would be unwise for St. Louis to trade Husso. He could be the hot goalie and Binnington the cold goalie. Just too much risk.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Korpisalo is the right move for Edmonton. Have CBJ retain 50% on Korpisalo and give Turris + a conditonal pick depending on if Edmonton makes the playoffs or not.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully the Oilers land Martin Jones. He is a good fit for them.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I’m sure the Oilers are interested. But they also aren’t interested in trading any decent assets. Don’t see the Blues moving him either.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
if oilers think martin jones is worth a 5th then anton forsberg is worth a 4th

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For Husso I'd imagine its Holloway going to St.Louis

Of course maybe Holland just doesn't understand what these players are worth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad