Friedman: Oilers interested in St. Louis Blues goaltender Ville Husso

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Husso is better than Binnington. This 'hot streak' and 'unproven' talk has truth to it - but ignoring Husso's actual ability is a fundamental mistake on evaluating goaltenders. Goaltenders are historically hot and cold, and some goaltenders hit their stride mid to late 20's (there are many examples). Heck, the goalie Husso stole the net from came out of nowhere and won a cup.

Husso isn't a backup goaltender anymore. He's a goalie who has been red hot and has stolen the net from Binnington. This is the trajectory many goalies have to follow to becoming a legitimate starter. I would say the likelihood of Husso being a better goaltender than Binnington for the next 5 years is quite high. My hunch is that the Blues understand the volatility of goaltenders and will want to hold both so a mistake can be avoided. Trading Husso could end up being a disaster and his value isn't high enough to take advantage of a sell high player.

A lot of posters have scoffed or laughed at the idea of a Husso for Holloway type deal. I don't think the Blues would take that deal if it was real anyways - a typical over-rating of a young prospect that was drafted high.

You mean the same trajectory Binnington followed to become the Blues starter in the first place? I do think there is a decent chance Husso ends up equal/better than Binnington but it will take a bit longer to know for sure.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I’m sure the Oilers are interested. But they also aren’t interested in trading any decent assets. Don’t see the Blues moving him either.

Yes, agrerd. In wich world does Holland live in? Sure, you can always try to get a player fir nothing, but you will always get a no, some GMs may be annoyed and raise the price.

If Holland just trade lowrounders, well ,ofC no deal.
Holland shouldnt maybe given up 2nd and 3rd rounders as giving away candy after all...

I think easily Yamamoto is on the table, but Holland just dont like to seperate from roosterplayers.
Probably Fogelentoo.
Barrie should be on the table, but havt seen any indication of this

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Only because Husso is UFA after this year and is likely to test the market to try and find a starting gig elsewhere. I can't imagine he'd extend during the season unless we really blow him away with an offer. If the Blues pay him well and promise him a legit chance to be the starter, he might want to stay but with the long-term commitment to Binnington I'm not sure that will happen.

Not saying I'd trade him 100% but that is the reasoning behind it.
The long term deal for Binnington would probably be an issue in contract negotiations with Husso from the Blues POV. Most guys don't want to be part of a goalie controversy or at least have someone around that could legitimately take starts from them, especially when they have the opportunity to become a free agent and get paid as a starter.

Reactions: Reality Czech

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
You mean the same trajectory Binnington followed to become the Blues starter in the first place? I do think there is a decent chance Husso ends up equal/better than Binnington but it will take a bit longer to know for sure.

This is alluding and supporting my point. The volatility and unpredictable nature of goaltenders to me means that Husso is just as likely the real deal than just some hot streak.

Reactions: teddygmr

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Your argument that "the likelihood of Husso being a better goaltender than Binnington for the next five years is quite high" is totally unsupported.

This is Binnington's first struggle with adversity at the NHL level. He's never lost his NHL starter job to anyone before. Equally as knowingly as you state the trajectory of goalies certainly anyone confident enough to do that should know that goalies go through swings. Binnington is being written off on his first swing, and treated like actually winning the Cup was the same as Scott Darling or some nothing shlub like that being hot for a month. The guy had 56 starts, went 40-15-1 in them and won three games under the utmost crucible of pressure in Boston Garden. The idea that he could do this at 25 but can't at 28 because he was a one-hit wonder is clearly being fueled by people with a personality grudge.

No logical and calm analysis could just come up with "the likelihood is quite high" based on the facts you have in front of you. It's what people want to happen. The idea that Binnington could do what he did for the Blues people need to self-soothingly understand as a lucky fluke and not because talent resides in the guy which could resurface. It resides in the guy trying to unseat him, so obviously after 15 games this year, none of which are playoff games? I mean this is clownshow type analysis.

It's weird how you've contorted my argument in to a personal vendetta against Binnington.

I think Husso is the real deal. Never said Binnington was a done deal just said Husso is getting sold short on his ability. Also never said anything Binnington has done was a fluke. Your analysis of what I said is the real clown show act.

My main thesis is that the volatility and ever changing goaltender position is precisely why no one should be surprised if Husso keeps the net from here. It's not unfounded - goalies often come out of nowhere and are the real deal (and by nowhere I mean it's difficult to precict).

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's weird how you've contorted my argument in to a personal vendetta against Binnington.

I think Husso is the real deal. Never said Binnington was a done deal just said Husso is getting sold short on his ability. Also never said anything Binnington has done was a fluke. Your analysis of what I said is the real clown show act.

My main thesis is that the volatility and ever changing goaltender position is precisely why no one should be surprised if Husso keeps the net from here. It's not unfounded - goalies often come out of nowhere and are the real deal (and by nowhere I mean it's difficult to precict).
It's super weird that you are confused about this reply since I helpfully started my post with a sentence that captures the specific part of your post that I'm addressing. Or ... you're confused that people might pick just a part of a post to reply to?

At any rate, you stated the chances are "quite high" that Husso will be better than Binnington over the next five years. It's a statement you made. Can you acknowledge this, or do we drearily have to do three back and forths where you first deny and then tediously explain it's not the entire scope of your post and how you're so confused before eventually trying to argue that "quite high" could mean something less than even money. Yes, I understand that you pointed out that Binnington is an example of what you see Husso doing. I know your post in general is about Husso. My point stands.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
This is alluding and supporting my point. The volatility and unpredictable nature of goaltenders to me means that Husso is just as likely the real deal than just some hot streak.

I agree, but if Binnington can go from elite to mediocre in just a year or two then Husso can do the same. Most Blues fans would have said last year that Husso would be nothing more than an average backup at best. It's definitely unpredictable.

Reactions: strattonius

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's super weird that you are confused about this reply since I helpfully started my post with a sentence that captures the specific part of your post that I'm addressing. Or ... you're confused that people might pick just a part of a post to reply to?

At any rate, you stated the chances are "quite high" that Husso will be better than Binnington over the next five years. It's a statement you made. Can you acknowledge this, or do we drearily have to do three back and forths where you first deny and then tediously explain it's not the entire scope of your post and how you're so confused before eventually trying to argue that "quite high" could mean something less than even money. Yes, I understand that you pointed out that Binnington is an example of what you see Husso doing. I know your post in general is about Husso. My point stands.

I think Husso will be better than Binnington over the next 5 years. I pretty much think all aspects of his game are at a higher level - that being Positioning, rebound control, athleticism and speed.

I also stand by my point of volatility when it comes to goaltenders.

They are two separate points. It means there is a possibility Husso falls flat on his face next year and Binnington finds his form.

It's just an opinion that I believe Husso is the better goaltender now and for the future. You don't have to get so butthurt over it.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I agree, but if Binnington can go from elite to mediocre in just a year or two then Husso can do the same. Most Blues fans would have said last year that Husso would be nothing more than an average backup at best. It's definitely unpredictable.

I never saw Binnington as an elite goaltender but other than that your point is spot on.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Oilers may just wait for him as a UFA and get him for no asset cost if he is the real deal and try to an interim option like Halak in the mean time.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I never saw Binnington as an elite goaltender but other than that your point is spot on.

It's certainly debatable, but he at least had elite numbers in his 32 games in '18-19 (a larger sample size than Husso's current run) and he had a great playoff run + pretty solid start to the following season. However, he's been pretty ordinary ever since the calendar switched to 2020.

Whether it's the league figuring him out or him just coming back down to Earth after an unsustainable 2019 run, we can only speculate.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Blues should hold onto him if they actually want to make a run this year.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
He’s been very good for the Blues. Might as well take a run in the playoffs having him on the roster. 2nd round or 3rd round pick won’t mean much if Binnington struggles.

Exactly,

Which team in the playoff hunt trades away their starting goalie for peanuts. Even if that goalie is a UFA.

This is probably the most braindead thread I have ever seen on HF. This is terrible even by leafs standard.

Please lock her up.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
It's certainly debatable, but he at least had elite numbers in his 32 games in '18-19 (a larger sample size than Husso's current run) and he had a great playoff run + pretty solid start to the following season. However, he's been pretty ordinary ever since the calendar switched to 2020.

Whether it's the league figuring him out or him just coming back down to Earth after an unsustainable 2019 run, we can only speculate.
He's the reincarnation of Jim Carey.

Reactions: M Ace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad