Friedman: Oilers interested in St. Louis Blues goaltender Ville Husso

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the Oilers are patient, they’re best off giving a big offer to Ilya Samsonov this summer. And he won’t cost them anything. He’s a proven NHL starter with still lots of upside.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
I agree, but if Binnington can go from elite to mediocre in just a year or two then Husso can do the same. Most Blues fans would have said last year that Husso would be nothing more than an average backup at best. It's definitely unpredictable.

But the Blues defense was pretty incredible that year, both from the forwards and defensemen. Comparing goalie stats year by year doesn't mean a lot when the roster has changed so much. So maybe Binnington is the same player he was 3 years ago, but the team in front of him allows more quality shots?

Reactions: lakai17

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
But the Blues defense was pretty incredible that year, both from the forwards and defensemen. Comparing goalie stats year by year doesn't mean a lot when the roster has changed so much. So maybe Binnington is the same player he was 3 years ago, but the team in front of him allows more quality shots?

His QS% is way down as well. It could still be true and he just happened to save more of quality shots 3 years ago because he didnt get as many ie lower sample size can inflate numbers. Never been a big fan of Binnington and I think he's basically the typical hot for one playoffs goalie. Wasnt that great in juniors and wasnt really anything in specials in the minors either.

I wouldnt trade Husso but I dont see how they'll get out of Binningtons contract unless a team like the yotes take him with a + added.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I dont even think the Blues would take a 1st rounder for Husso right now.

4BlindMice

Jan 13, 2022
I agree, but if Binnington can go from elite to mediocre in just a year or two then Husso can do the same. Most Blues fans would have said last year that Husso would be nothing more than an average backup at best. It's definitely unpredictable.

It'll be way more predictable if Husso ends up in Edmonton lol Who can't see the writing on that wall?

It's certainly debatable, but he at least had elite numbers in his 32 games in '18-19 (a larger sample size than Husso's current run) and he had a great playoff run + pretty solid start to the following season. However, he's been pretty ordinary ever since the calendar switched to 2020.

Whether it's the league figuring him out or him just coming back down to Earth after an unsustainable 2019 run, we can only speculate.

"Has Been"ington

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
His QS% is way down as well. It could still be true and he just happened to save more of quality shots 3 years ago because he didnt get as many ie lower sample size can inflate numbers. Never been a big fan of Binnington and I think he's basically the typical hot for one playoffs goalie. Wasnt that great in juniors and wasnt really anything in specials in the minors either.

I wouldnt trade Husso but I dont see how they'll get out of Binningtons contract unless a team like the yotes take him with a + added.
He flukishly went 24-5-1 before the obviously fluke playoffs and flukishly turned the team's trajectory entirely around. He flukishly told Don Cherry he was going to finish off winning three straight in Boston Garden to take home the Cup and flukishly backed it up. Then he flukishly staked them to the best record in the conference for 71 games the following season before the league came to a stop. Of course, this is easy to not mention in any bad faith framing like yours. He flukishly has held the #1 spot for the last three seasons before this very first challenge.

The "hot for two months (one playoffs)" frame is pure, transparent bad faith. There is no "typical flash in the pan Cup winner." Just outright LOL at the use of "typical." Such bad faith.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
He flukishly went 24-5-1 before the obviously fluke playoffs and flukishly turned the team's trajectory entirely around. He flukishly told Don Cherry he was going to finish off winning three straight in Boston Garden to take home the Cup and flukishly backed it up. Then he flukishly staked them to the best record in the conference for 71 games the following season before the league came to a stop. Of course, this is easy to not mention in any bad faith framing like yours. He flukishly has held the #1 spot for the last three seasons before this very first challenge.

The "hot for two months (one playoffs)" frame is pure, transparent bad faith. There is no "typical flash in the pan Cup winner." Just outright LOL at the use of "typical." Such bad faith.

Yes, HE changed the trajectory. He had a hot playoffs. The season after he wasnt as good and was playing as an average starter. Funny how you mention this is the first hardship and accuse me of bad faith. Last two playoffs is not worth mentioning when trying to frame him as better than he really is huh?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
At some point the Oilers have to do something and get an actual long term answer in net.

Passing on Wally was a collosal mistake

A sens fan really shouldnt be judging other teams woes especially not when it comes to passing up players in the draft.

Reactions: Ragdoll

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Even if the Blues don't re-sign Husso - I fail to see how moving him helps them at all. That team is built to win now - not saying they are a favorite at this point but they are a damn good team with a lot of guys in their prime years. At worst, Husso is the Blues' own self-rental TDL acquisition. Meanwhile his upside is that of a guy who could potentially carry them in the playoffs as a starter. And you are going to deal him for picks? Completely counter-intuitive. Lindgren is a fine 3rd string goalie and Hofer is a good prospects but you'll be turning right around to try and acquire a nails-on 2nd string or 1B goalie if you deal Husso.

Dealing him presents very little upside and a lot of downside. Just view him as a rental if need be and move on knowing you have two goalies who can carry the load (and we've seen what happens to teams that have goalie crisis' or lack of options in the playoffs).

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
A sens fan really shouldnt be judging other teams woes especially not when it comes to passing up players in the draft.

Sens have done damn well at the draft table save for last year.

You would have been better off taking a shot at our own goaltending woes.

Swing and a miss though I guess huh?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Sens have done damn well at the draft table save for last year.

You would have been better off taking a shot at our own goaltending woes.

Swing and a miss though I guess huh?

I'm not an oilers fan and "wally" wouldnt have solved Oilers current goaltending crisis. This seems pretty hard for you to understand.

What are you talking about? You're a fan of the franchise who picked Daigle over Pronger. One of the biggest draft blunders in history. Its pretty irrelevant to talk about current prospects as its impossible to really know how well theyll do in the NHL. Even "certainties" like Wally lol

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I'd take a flukishly hot goaltender on a playoff run heater to a Stanley Cup win. I'd take that in a heartbeat. Flukish or not!

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why would they trade within the conference whe. They in theory could play each other?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I don't think the Oil are serious about fixing it this year or I would expect greater urgency considering the serious risk of missing. How long before it's too late?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Feels like they're more likely to move Binnington at this point, what a terrible contract that was.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Yes, HE changed the trajectory. He had a hot playoffs. The season after he wasnt as good and was playing as an average starter. Funny how you mention this is the first hardship and accuse me of bad faith. Last two playoffs is not worth mentioning when trying to frame him as better than he really is huh?

He was incredible last playoffs? Easily the blues best player in that series and the only reason each game wasn't double digit losses.

Reactions: 780il

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
It may be the Blues organization doesn't value Husso the same way you guys do. I mean, if the asking price was astronomical I bet that would have come out in the Friedman's tweet. Much like it did when teams inquired about Chychrun. Pundits were quick to point out how high the asking price was. Ditto when Eichel went on the market and the Sabres were demanding a kings ransom. Good to note Eichel went for less than Buffalo was initially asking.

So maybe insisting a massive overpay is the only way Husso moves isn't quite realistic.

I suppose we'll know more as things develop.
Husso was the #1 prospect and heir apparent before Binnington had his Cam Ward season out of nowhere.

And now Binnington has been playing like crap

I'm pretty sure StLouis values Husso very highly

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
At the rate Holland moves Wallstadt would be ready before he actually acquired a good starter.
I never understood the logic of passing on Wallstadt by saying he won’t be ready for three years or so when you could say the same thing about any player drafted around that position. At some point you have to do some long term planning and develop a steady stream of good goalie prospects.
As for this thread, I doubt Husso would even be available.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not sure why the Blues would trade their defacto #1 goalie and goaltending future. ... unless the Oilers are willing to significantly overpay for him.
I think this is a pipe dream by Oiler fans.

Reactions: kinghock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad