Friedman: Oilers interested in St. Louis Blues goaltender Ville Husso

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Quickly things changes.

Last year every Blues member said Husso won't become NHL goaltender and it's bust. Now those bashers are saying him as untouchable. :dunno:

Reactions: ManByng

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
If I were Ken Holland, I would wait until the offseason to discuss Husso. St. Louis is in an interesting spot since Husso is better than Binnington but is a UFA and the other is signed long-term. Furthermore, Binnington has a 0.898 sv% while signed for $6 M x 5 years, plus an NTC. In order to move him, St. Louis would have to pay assets or retain.

There will be three options:
1) Keep Husso
2) Keep Binnington
3) Keep both

From a cap perspective, I do not believe St. Louis has enough money to keep without sacrificing another good player. Now, the main question is does a team want Binnington. I believe the answer is no without retention or assets coming the other way.

If I was Ken Holland, I would offer this trade:
Kassian (3.2 M) + Smith (2.2 M) + Ryan (1.25 M) for Binnington (retain) ($5.5M) + 2nd pick, which is $6.6 M for $6 M. However, after next season, it would be $3.2 M for $6 M.

If this offer does not work, target Husso in free agency. If that doesn't work, find a new target.

Last edited:

bigduga

Oct 4, 2009
Whether it's the league figuring [binnington] out or him just coming back down to Earth after an unsustainable 2019 run, we can only speculate.

or the defense in front of him going from a lot of long, possession eating conservative types to smaller, faster, run and gun transition types.

stylistically, Binnington and his quiet, play-the angles style is misfit to the Blues current defense in ways Husso’s is not.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, Husso could legendarily dominate his way the 2022 Cup, stake the Blues to the conference lead 71 games into the 22-23 season which gets arbitrarily halted cold, then significantly outplay his backup in 23-24, then sign a big contract, then start 2024 fine, then go through his first struggle as a starter. Then the shrewd people will call him garbage!
thats cause binner has been garbage.

its not out of line or character assassination to call someone with these numbers, GARBAGE.

Since Nov. 3, Binnington has a .889 save percentage and has allowed 3.70 goals per game. And when Binnington hasn’t played during this stretch, the other St. Louis goaltenders have a .935 save percentage with a 2.28 goals-against rate.

Beginning with the Winter Classic at Minnesota, Binnington has a .862 save percentage and 5.03 goals-against average in his last six games. He continues to drift close to the bottom of the rankings list in NHL goaltender statistics.

The numbers are for the entire season and the rankings include only the 33 goaltenders that have played at least 1,100 minutes this season at all strengths:
Save percentage: .898, 31st among the 33.
Goals-against average: 3.39, 31st.
Goals saved above average: minus 8.49, 31st.

TOO MANY SOFT GOALS
Soft goals are an alarming issue for Binnington.
— He ranks 27th among the 33 with a .888 save percentage on medium-danger shots. And he’s allowed an average of 1.26 goals per game on medium-danger shots (23rd.)
— His low-danger save percentage (.956) is tied for 26th. And Binnington has allowed an average of 0.56 low-danger goals per game, which ranks 28th among the 33.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

its not out of line or character assassination to call someone with these numbers, GARBAGE.

Since Nov. 3, Binnington has a .889 save percentage and has allowed 3.70 goals per game. And when Binnington hasn’t played during this stretch, the other St. Louis goaltenders have a .935 save percentage with a 2.28 goals-against rate.

Beginning with the Winter Classic at Minnesota, Binnington has a .862 save percentage and 5.03 goals-against average in his last six games. He continues to drift close to the bottom of the rankings list in NHL goaltender statistics.

The numbers are for the entire season and the rankings include only the 33 goaltenders that have played at least 1,100 minutes this season at all strengths:

TOO MANY SOFT GOALS
— He ranks 27th among the 33 with a .888 save percentage on medium-danger shots. And he’s allowed an average of 1.26 goals per game on medium-danger shots (23rd.)
— His low-danger save percentage (.956) is tied for 26th. And Binnington has allowed an average of 0.56 low-danger goals per game, which ranks 28th among the 33.

Dude, how long can you go without making anti-Binner posts? You're a Blues fan who hates Binnington, we get it. You getting paid per post or what? It's bordering on obsession at this point.

Reactions: ManByng

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
If I were Ken Holland, I would wait until the offseason to discuss Husso. St. Louis is in an interesting spot since Husso is better than Binnington but is a UFA and the other is signed long-term. Furthermore, Binnington has a 0.898 sv% while signed for $6 M x 5 years, plus an NTC. In order to move him, St. Louis would have to pay assets or retain.

There will be three options:
1) Keep Husso
2) Keep Binnington
3) Keep both

From a cap perspective, I do not believe St. Louis has enough money to keep without sacrificing another good player. Now, the main question is does a team want Binnington. I believe the answer is no without retention or assets coming the other way.

If I was Ken Holland, I would offer this trade:
Kassian (3.2 M) + Smith (2.2 M) + Ryan (1.25 M) for Binnington (retain) ($5.5M) + 2nd pick, which is $6.6 M for $6 M. However, after next season, it would be $3.2 M for $6 M.

If this offer does not work, target Husso in free agency. If that doesn't work, find a new target.

Thats not even remotely interesting. Makes the Blues worse now and worse in the future.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands

TOO MANY SOFT GOALS
I laughed so hard when your "great move! glad to have our goalie for 6 more years" post got quoted back to you.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ha Ha Ha.

No. The goal is to win the cup this year. I wouldn't trade him for you best prospect - because we can't trust Binner. It isn't about value - it is about success - we need to win, our window is now.

Making this trade turns us into the Oilers (as far as goalie is concerned).
… please?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Husso now:

19gp 12w 1.97 GAA .936 SV% 2 shutouts.

UFA 2022. I bet he will have some takers.

Reactions: teddygmr

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Husso now:

19gp 12w 1.97 GAA .936 SV% 2 shutouts.

UFA 2022. I bet he will have some takers.
Allen then:

24gp 12w 2.15 GAA .927 SV% 2 shutouts.

He was traded for a 3rd round pick. Goalies are difficult to evaluate because their results are frequently situational.

Husso will definitely have some takers. But I doubt any team is betting the farm on him maintaining this level of play.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Husso will definitely have some takers. But I doubt any team is betting the farm on him maintaining this level of play.

Why would they. He is an UFA and will probably get offers 2-3yrs at 2,5-3,5M from teams like Edmonton etc. St.Louis wont trade him before playoffs and they have binnington at 6M with NTC signed for 6yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad