Friedman: Oilers interested in St. Louis Blues goaltender Ville Husso

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well, I guess it is more a pipe dream by the Oilers GM. Oiler fans didn't come up with this, Friedman reported it.
The exact Friedman quote is:

I'm sure Holland does like Husso... just as he probably likes a number of top goalies. However his chances of getting Husso at a price they could afford to pay or want to pay, assuming STL would be interested in trading him, is somewhere between slim and none. Its a pipe dream for both Holland and Oiler fans.

Reactions: kp61c

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Not sure why the Blues would trade their defacto #1 goalie and goaltending future. ... unless the Oilers are willing to significantly overpay for him.
I think this is a pipe dream by Oiler fans.
how the f*** is it a pipe dream? friedman tweeted about it and generated this discussion. lol some people are such idiots

anyways, husso would be a better UFA target

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
how the f*** is it a pipe dream? friedman tweeted about it and generated this discussion. lol some people are such idiots

So what if he tweeted about it . He tweets about lots of stuff. He has to come up with 32 things to talk and tweet about every week. He tweeted about Holland's pipe dream. I'm sure Holland has lots of those.
Pipe dreams are dreams that will never happen. Anyone who thinks this will actually happen is a moron.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Just because i guy paid to talk about trades says something doesn't make it true. Friedman is not right nearly as often as he is wrong still.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
At the rate Holland moves Wallstadt would be ready before he actually acquired a good starter.
I never understood the logic of passing on Wallstadt by saying he won’t be ready for three years or so when you could say the same thing about any player drafted around that position. At some point you have to do some long term planning and develop a steady stream of good goalie prospects.
As for this thread, I doubt Husso would even be available.

I don't think anyone is saying that it was a good idea to pass him up. People are simply discussing how solve the current goalie crisis which drafting Wallstedt wouldn't do.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm not an oilers fan and "wally" wouldnt have solved Oilers current goaltending crisis. This seems pretty hard for you to understand.

What are you talking about? You're a fan of the franchise who picked Daigle over Pronger. One of the biggest draft blunders in history. Its pretty irrelevant to talk about current prospects as its impossible to really know how well theyll do in the NHL. Even "certainties" like Wally lol

A lot has changed since 1993. Its irrelevant to this discussion.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Haha, I thought you were referring to our flub drafting Brian Lee, but then I saw your other reply.

Daigle was popular consensus though, everyone would have drafted him over Pronger.

I love that you bring up another draft fiasco and still think my point doesnt remain valid. Every franchise has done a draft blunder. It doesnt relate to the current goalie situation in Edmonton. Drafting Wallstedt wouldnt have helped them now.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I love that you bring up another draft fiasco and still think my point doesnt remain valid. Every franchise has done a draft blunder. It doesnt relate to the current goalie situation in Edmonton. Drafting Wallstedt wouldnt have helped them now.

Haha thats what I get for extending a laurel

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Find some more games for Sideburns and maybe he can turn into an asset at the TDL.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That would be a good add for the Oilers. So naturally I hope they overpay JP and KY this summer instead and go with scrap heap goalies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I hope Husso wins every remaining start in the regular season with plenty more shutouts then wins 16 playoff games and a Cup.

That way, two seasons later when he hits his first rough patch we can learn how "garbage" he is.

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I hope Husso wins every remaining start in the regular season with plenty more shutouts then wins 16 playoff games and a Cup.

That way, two seasons later when he hits his first rough patch we can learn how "garbage" he is.
and sign a $6m x 6 year contract, and tank the first year of it :laugh:

Last edited:

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
At some point the Oilers have to do something and get an actual long term answer in net.

Passing on Wally was a collosal mistake

You keep moving the goalposts here to make your point valid when it has no relevance in this thread.

Oilers need a goalie now. The thread is about acquiring an NHL starting goalie for this season.

Wallstedt wouldn't have helped this season (i.e. the point of this thread)

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
and sign a $6m x 6 year contract, and tank the first of it :laugh:
Yes, Husso could legendarily dominate his way the 2022 Cup, stake the Blues to the conference lead 71 games into the 22-23 season which gets arbitrarily halted cold, then significantly outplay his backup in 23-24, then sign a big contract, then start 2024 fine, then go through his first struggle as a starter. Then the shrewd people will call him garbage!

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Speaking of irrelevant to the discussion, imaging bringing up the most recent draft in a discussion about fixing a goalie problem the team is facing today.

Well, when your so called "Oilers New and Updates" reports that a playoff bound team is going to trade their starting goalie to Edmonton for scraps; I guess anything goes around here.

SlightlyStoned

Dec 7, 2018
If Blues management thinks that Husso would be a better bet for the future than Binnington, they could resign him now and trade Binnington to Edmonton. Binningtons form could get better or he could be the next Matt Murray with 6m a year till 2027. Current Oilers might be desperate enough to take a gamble with Binnington's contract, if he's bad next year too he's going to be untradable. Now it's Blues chance to cut their losses and sign Husso on a bit cheaper and shorter deal.

Reactions: teddygmr

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well, when your so called "Oilers New and Updates" reports that a playoff bound team is going to trade their starting goalie to Edmonton for scraps; I guess anything goes around here.
First off it was Friedman, not one of the Oilers guys. Second it was report that the Oilers called and asked not that St. Louis has any interest in moving him. And third, Oilers media guys are pretty trash so I don't think much of what they day should be taken seriously.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Blues management thinks that Husso would be a better bet for the future than Binnington, they could resign him now and trade Binnington to Edmonton. Binningtons form could get better or he could be the next Matt Murray with 6m a year till 2027. Current Oilers might be desperate enough to take a gamble with Binnington's contract, if he's bad next year too he's going to be untradable. Now it's Blues chance to cut their losses and sign Husso on a bit cheaper and shorter deal.
If they are ever going to move Binnington, finding a way to move him to a desperate Ken Holland is one of the better ways to do that.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Obviously I was being a little tongue-in-cheek with my comment, but the Oilers would have to make it worth our while to trade our red hot "backup goalie." He's outplayed Binner by a wide margin and honestly he looks straight up dominant this year.

While he is a UFA to-be and we would be selling high, the Blues aren't gonna trade him just for the sake of it. We aren't going into the playoffs with an untested Hofer as backup and we don't have the cap space for a more expensive backup to replace Husso.

Tell you what...

We've already gone down the road of overpaying an inexperienced goalie who's batting 0.940+ after 15 games. You guys are smart enough not to back up the Brinks truck, so let us do it again.

In exchange, we give you a 2nd for a guy you'll lose anyway and a 3rd for resigning yourself to a backup of Koskinen for 3 months with 50% retained.

You get a backup capable of getting hot, we double down on our "bet the farm on 15 games of stellar play" strategy which has worked so well for us in the past.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Tell you what...

We've already gone down the road of overpaying an inexperienced goalie who's batting 0.940+ after 15 games. You guys are smart enough not to back up the Brinks truck, so let us do it again.

In exchange, we give you a 2nd for a guy you'll lose anyway and a 3rd for resigning yourself to a backup of Koskinen for 3 months with 50% retained.

You get a backup capable of getting hot, we double down on our "bet the farm on 15 games of stellar play" strategy which has worked so well for us in the past.

Ha Ha Ha.

No. The goal is to win the cup this year. I wouldn't trade him for you best prospect - because we can't trust Binner. It isn't about value - it is about success - we need to win, our window is now.

Making this trade turns us into the Oilers (as far as goalie is concerned).

Reactions: bucks_oil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad