Recalled/Assigned: Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Makes absolutely no sense. Put Talbot on line 4 and let a skilled guy play on the third line like Raffl.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 17m
Homer calls center/winger Newbury an "energy guy" who will be on 4th line but can move up the ladder.Also can play on PK. #Flyers
11:31 AM - 3 Oct 13

Reminds me of the time when Homer signed Jody Shelley and said he could possibly play on the 3rd line. :laugh: :help:

He's just f'ing with us at this point.

Remember guys, he also said Lappy was a faceoff winning center...:huh::dunce:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Why is everybody so worried about our 4th line when the major issue throughout preseason and in game 1 has been scoring?

Newbury is a pretty solid player overall when used in a sheltered role: hard-nosed, gritty, and can even score a little. He won't play more than 8-9 minutes a night on that energy line - no big deal at all.

Everyone seemed to be in love with Daroll Powe who had hands of stone and zero hockey sense. Newbury may not be as fast but he is decent in his own zone, even played the PK in the AHL.
McGinn is clearly out of shape and Raffl who might be a good fit for a top-9 role later in the season needs some seasoning in the AHL. Holmstrom hasn't played a regular season game for ages.... who else would be a better choice?

Last edited:

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
I doubt Gagne would refuse an offer. It's not like any other team has shown interest in him.

I actually got some news about Gagne yesterday. A buddy of mine goes to the gym with the neurologist that assessed Gags around the time where he may have signed with the Habs this off-season. What he said is that Gagné was one hit away from retirement and that is what ultimately had the Habs pass on his services. You've got to think that is probably the reason
we did as well. I'm disappointed for him, sad to go out this way, but his health is more important.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 17m
Homer calls center/winger Newbury an "energy guy" who will be on 4th line but can move up the ladder.Also can play on PK. #Flyers
11:31 AM - 3 Oct 13

Reminds me of the time when Homer signed Jody Shelley and said he could possibly play on the 3rd line. :laugh: :help:

Reminds me of this:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I actually got some news about Gagne yesterday. A buddy of mine goes to the gym with the neurologist that assessed Gags around the time where he may have signed with the Habs this off-season. What he said is that Gagné was one hit away from retirement and that is what ultimately had the Habs pass on his services. You've got to think that is probably the reason
we did as well. I'm disappointed for him, sad to go out this way, but his health is more important.

Well..if this is true the people like myself that said he was a big injury risk have been vindicated...

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey

Your buddy isn't that same guy that said Luke Schenn only had one good eye, is he? :sarcasm:

But, that does make some sense. Then again, why would Gagne be in pursuit of a contract if he knew of that risk?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Your buddy isn't that same guy that said Luke Schenn only had one good eye, is he? :sarcasm:

But, that does make some sense. Then again, why would Gagne be in pursuit of a contract if he knew of that risk?

Because he figured he could avoid contact and stay healthy....:sarcasm:

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
I think most of us can agree that Laughton needed to be back in juniors so he wasn't forced to play out of position and would get quality minutes. He looked good in some games but it would have been nice to see him get a game in the season at least.

I doubt newbury will be up with the flyers for all of that long. Talbot needs to be down on the fourth line and maybe one of McGinn, Raffl, Akesson, etc. gets off to a hot start and replaces talbot on the third line

I'm not as upset as some people over this...actually kind of used to these decisions by now

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I wanted Laughton sent back instead of be messed around by Lavi.

But this is silly, why was he kept around until opening night?

Did Holmgren think he should be on the team but Lavi refused to play him, or at least only about half of the games?

And Newbury? Damn, he is not a NHLer, yes, he scores in every other league he has ever played in, but is not good enough in the NHL.

Heck, give Raffl or Akeson a shot.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I was all for Laughton going back to juniors...assuming that meant a third line winger was signed. Without that in place, I don't like the idea of sending him back, especially calling up Newbury. If it were Raffl, McGinn, or Straka or someone that at least maybe had a shot to contribute on the third line, I'd be a little more understanding. But Talbot IMO is not a good fit on that third line for the long term. I made a big fuss all off-season long about not going with an "unknown" on the third line instead of a guy like Gagne, but I would prefer the "unknown" to Talbot playing there.

I like Talbot. I think he's good at what he does. But what he does should be limited to the fourth line and PK duties. There better be a trade in the works.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Funny how Newbury will either be scratched or play for 3 minutes and they will keep him up, but Laughton, who could put in at least 10 minutes a game has to go back to ****ing juniors. Gotta love it when management thinks a guy that has almost zero presence and almost zero playing time is worth more than a 1st round, skilled kid. **** off...

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The best thing for Laughton is to send him down and get him out of the fustercluck that's happening in Philadelphia. Let him go tear it up in Oshawa, play a big role in the WJC tournament and then possibly go on a long run in the OHL playoffs. I'd rather have a real coach handle Laughton's development than have Laviolette sink his claws into him.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Funny how Newbury will either be scratched or play for 3 minutes and they will keep him up, but Laughton, who could put in at least 10 minutes a game has to go back to ****ing juniors. Gotta love it when management thinks a guy that has almost zero presence and almost zero playing time is worth more than a 1st round, skilled kid. **** off...

They clearly believe that the best thing for Laughton is to play in the OHL rather than play on the 4th line for the Flyers. They aren't suggesting Newbury is better than Laughton, but for the sake of his development it's probably better he plays in Oshawa.

Ultimately the fact that they called up Newbury shouldn't really be that surprising (or this rage inducing you guys are seriously complaining about who they called up to be the 13th forward). They aren't going to go crazy and scramble the entire lineup after 1 game, so they call up a guy who's development won't be stunted by being the 13th forward for a week or two.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Akeson looked like Giroux on the halfwall during preseason. I'd love to see him get a chance playing on the third line. Voracek should definitely be playing on the top line over B. Schenn. Read looked decent with Vinny and Simmer, but he looks good on any line. I don't think Talbot should be playing on the third line but rather the fourth.

I'm happy Laughton was sent down for another year of honing his skills and growing as a player, he doesn't need to be rushed. I agree, it is weird timing, but it's all probably as a result of Homer's cap dancing.

These are the lines I'd like to see:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-LeCavalier-Simmonds
Akeson-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Akeson looked like Giroux on the halfwall during preseason. I'd love to see him get a chance playing on the third line. Voracek should definitely be playing on the top line over B. Schenn. Read looked decent with Vinny and Simmer, but he looks good on any line. I don't think Talbot should be playing on the third line but rather the fourth.

I'm happy Laughton was sent down for another year of honing his skills and growing as a player, he doesn't need to be rushed. I agree, it is weird timing, but it's all probably as a result of Homer's cap dancing.

These are the lines I'd like to see:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-LeCavalier-Simmonds
Akeson-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

I would be very happy with this line-up. I would also try Schenn with G and Jake. Hartnell with Vinny and Simmer were pretty good together in preseason and Schenn and Voracek had chemistry last season. I also think Couturier and Read could more then make up for Akeson's defensive short comings at ES, which I think really isn't much of an issue after his improvement last season. Talbot is much better suited on the 4th line and really shouldn't be in the top 9 unless he's filling in for one reason or another.

With that said, I'm OK with Newbury getting called up cause that means Rosehill will now be the 13th forward. The way I see it the line-up has been improved just not by much. :laugh:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Despite what Homer says I have a feeling Newbury will see a game tops & Raffl will be back up in days.

That would be pretty stupid. Newbury will have to pass through waivers if sent back down and while him getting picked up (I know he just cleared last week but still) isn't a great loss by any stretch he is pretty good for ADK and shouldn't just be thrown away. Homer calling him up for just a game just to send him back down would be mind boggling.

I think they'll wait a little longer before calling someone (Raffl?) up and sending Kris back down.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That would be pretty stupid. Newbury will have to pass through waivers if sent back down and while him getting picked up (I know he just cleared last week but still) isn't a great loss by any stretch he is pretty good for ADK and shouldn't just be thrown away. Homer calling him up for just a game just to send him back down would be mind boggling.

I think they'll wait a little longer before calling someone (Raffl?) up and sending Kris back down.

He's been sent up & down through out the last three seasons & hasn't been claimed. I doubt he's done much to warrant a team claiming out of the blue at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad