Recalled/Assigned: Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
i think someone has to be a legit threat for 20 goals to bump talbot down. Theyve burnt the bridge with gagne and i dont think any of the phantoms have shown theyre ready. so that means a move to be made or scrape the barrell again. vinny prospal maybe?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
i think someone has to be a legit threat for 20 goals to bump talbot down. Theyve burnt the bridge with gagne and i dont think any of the phantoms have shown theyre ready. so that means a move to be made or scrape the barrell again. vinny prospal maybe?

one legged hejduk :sarcasm:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think McGinn's injury has changed the type of player he is in a bad way.

Sad....I can't believe it has affected him as much as it seems. Hopefully he can overcome whatever fears he is battling. A picture of Leighton's face might just act like a reset button..kind of like when you scare somebody out of their hiccups ....

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Disagree. Maybe your Leighton diagram would be of use here? Bernier being the biggest part, the rest being the smaller part? Other than the poor Power Play showing, there really wasn't much going on last night besides Bernier's performance that stuck out as a reason that the Flyers lost. And surely a poor power isn't the same **** that was on display last year since the power play was pretty damned good last year. The rest of the game wasn't perfection by any means for the Flyers, but it certainly didn't look to me like there was some glaring issue that the Flyers will not be able to overcome. If Bernier didn't stand on his head most of the game, I predict the outcome would have been different. Kind of like how if Leighton wouldn't have played so poorly in the SCF, the Flyers would have won, right? Or does it not work that way if I am saying it?

There was the usual glaring issue of not scoring at even strength. The usual lack of adjustment once the other team changed their strategy. The usual playing into the other team's strategy. Some of those problems go back throughout Lavi's tenure and have only gotten worse as other teams have figured the Flyers out.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
how many SOG did the Flyers have 5 on 5 last night?

The Leafs outshot the Flyers 21-19 in even strength play, but is that the only indicator that determines whether or not your team is better 5-on-5? I'd bet the Flyers had more missed shots than the Leafs had shots on goal, as well.

Note: I just realized this isn't the PGT. I'll stop derailing this thread now.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
What's really sad is, that with all those proven NHLers in free agency until camp opened, we ended up with Hall Gill.
Mason Raymond would've sure looked worse than Newbury...:shakehead

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
This just makes even more disappointed they didn't re-sign Gagne. Yeah, yeah, he's soft, no other team wanted him, blah, blah, blah, but you can't tell me he's not better than Talbot, McGinn, Newbury, Raffl or anyone else that's available. I mean you can tell me, but I won't believe you.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Really?

The Flyers controlled the play 5-on-5, they forced the Leafs into giving the Flyers 7 powerplays, the defense actually looked competent as a group, they actually looked like they knew how to exit their own zone (for the first time in years), there was only one shift I can recall that the Leafs had theFlyers pinned in their own zone for more than 15 seconds... there were a lot of positives around the 'team' game last night and very few negatives.

The only team problem I saw last night was a lack of finish. There were individuals who looked poor, but that was as strong a team game as you'll see from the Flyers this year. Bury chances, win the game; fail to capitalize on chances, easy loss.

Big problem last night was the Flyers offense, they looked like they were scared to park in front of Bernier. Bernier was able to see almost every shot at him this is why he played so well. Flyers have big bodies up front and none of them did that job.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I think Homer was gonna keep Laughton until Lavi scratched him last night. If he's not gonna be used then send him down and let him play the big minutes. I'm actually glad Homer did it, this just goes to show though that these two aren't on the same page.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There was the usual glaring issue of not scoring at even strength. The usual lack of adjustment once the other team changed their strategy. The usual playing into the other team's strategy. Some of those problems go back throughout Lavi's tenure and have only gotten worse as other teams have figured the Flyers out.

The lack of scoring at even strength is due in large part to the play of Bernier I would say. There were ample chances where the shooters were simply bested by Bernier. If you really are going to dispute that then this discussion can go no further as you simply are living in another world where facts don't matter.

The lack of adjustment was also there, but again, I would point more to Bernier as a reason they lost rather than most other factors. I mean, there really is no adjustment you can make to beat a goalie that is in the zone. Other adjustments could have been made that may have lead to a victory, but at the end of the day, the same thing could be said about every loss in the history of every team in the NHL.

This game was nothing to get upset about. A tough loss, for sure, but nothing to lose it over.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The lack of scoring at even strength is due in large part to the play of Bernier I would say. There were ample chances where the shooters were simply bested by Bernier. If you really are going to dispute that then this discussion can go no further as you simply are living in another world where facts don't matter.

The lack of adjustment was also there, but again, I would point more to Bernier as a reason they lost rather than most other factors. I mean, there really is no adjustment you can make to beat a goalie that is in the zone. Other adjustments could have been made that may have lead to a victory, but at the end of the day, the same thing could be said about every loss in the history of every team in the NHL.

This game was nothing to get upset about. A tough loss, for sure, but nothing to lose it over.

Bernier had a few great saves, yes, but for the most part the Flyers weren't making his life difficult. A big part of that was the lack of adjustment once the Leafs decided not to let the Flyers play their game.

I guess last season was nothing but a series of "tough losses" that can be explained away by things just "not working out" or opposing players just having good games too, huh? What we saw last night became disturbingly familiar as the game went on, to the point where I was convinced they would lose with over 10 minutes left. Not because of Bernier, per se, but because of what I was seeing the Flyers do.

Until I see something different on the ice I'm not going to be optimistic. I did that through most of last season and looked for every excuse I could, but the excuses have run out.

Like CF88, I'm ducking out of this thread to cease derailing it. I'd appreciate if you would quote me into the post game thread if you answer.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse

I agree, Bernier had a great game but Flyers should have adjusted. If they couldn't get pucks past him try parking themselves in front of the net and providing a screen.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I have been a Flyers fan since 1985. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember a potential worse 4th line than Newbury-Hall-Rosehill (with a forward out). Can anyone remember a worse one?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I know Newbury has never put it together at this level and thinking he could now is crazy but he does have some skills. Maybe they think he can be a better contributor on the 3rd line lw spot then Talbot. It wouldn't surprise me after Talbots piss poor performance last night. In which case a 4th line of Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo truely isn't that bad.

I would have much preferred they had just kept one of Raffl, Cousins, Laughton or Akeson up for that last top nine spot but whatever I guess. Bottom line in my mind is Talbot can't be a 3rd liner, we know from extensive experience that's not gonna work. At this point I'm willing to give almost anybody else a shot, even Kris Newbury :facepalm:.

Edit: actually as I alluded to earlier I think maybe Homer wanted to try Laughton but Lavi scratched him. If you're not willing to fire your coach you can't exactly go up to them and tell them who to play and where.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Bernier had a few great saves, yes, but for the most part the Flyers weren't making his life difficult. A big part of that was the lack of adjustment once the Leafs decided not to let the Flyers play their game.

I guess last season was nothing but a series of "tough losses" that can be explained away by things just "not working out" or opposing players just having good games too, huh? What we saw last night became disturbingly familiar as the game went on, to the point where I was convinced they would lose with over 10 minutes left. Not because of Bernier, per se, but because of what I was seeing the Flyers do.

Until I see something different on the ice I'm not going to be optimistic. I did that through most of last season and looked for every excuse I could, but the excuses have run out.

Like CF88, I'm ducking out of this thread to cease derailing it. I'd appreciate if you would quote me into the post game thread if you answer.

I won't even bother answering. Haha.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I guess last season was nothing but a series of "tough losses" that can be explained away by things just "not working out" or opposing players just having good games too, huh? What we saw last night became disturbingly familiar as the game went on, to the point where I was convinced they would lose with over 10 minutes left.

I was sure they would lose as soon as Kessel scored the tying goal against the run of play thanks to Talbot's terrible pass and lazy back checking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad