Recalled/Assigned: Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
He's been sent up & down through out the last three seasons & hasn't been claimed. I doubt he's done much to warrant a team claiming out of the blue at this point.

Yeah, no one wants Newbury. Him getting claimed should be of no concern. I really hope Raffl progresses and we see him actually contribute on the third line versus Talbot's uselessness.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Good decision to send him back down if Lavy wasn't going to commit to playing him 12-15 minutes a night. The kid needs to play. Should have been able to figure this out a week ago though. There is no way he went from good for 12-15 minutes to 'press box' because of a few practices.

Calling up Newbury is just LOL.

I'm ready to just quit on this team, and follow a team like the Red Wings until the Flyers get their collective head of their ass and join us in the 21st century.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Why is everybody so worried about our 4th line when the major issue throughout preseason and in game 1 has been scoring?

Newbury is a pretty solid player overall when used in a sheltered role: hard-nosed, gritty, and can even score a little. He won't play more than 8-9 minutes a night on that energy line - no big deal at all.

Everyone seemed to be in love with Daroll Powe who had hands of stone and zero hockey sense. Newbury may not be as fast but he is decent in his own zone, even played the PK in the AHL.
McGinn is clearly out of shape and Raffl who might be a good fit for a top-9 role later in the season needs some seasoning in the AHL. Holmstrom hasn't played a regular season game for ages.... who else would be a better choice?

Exactly, as usual people are freaking out over a non-issue. They sent a 19 y/o down to the minors to get better. Sounds about right. They bring up another 4th liner up that won't have his progress hurt by sitting in a press box. Don't see the problem there. They just finished camp. What could the players sent down hve done between the end of camp and now to prove they are ready for a position they had a month to audition for.

I don't get the infatuation with Raffl. He is a soft perimeter player with good but not great skills.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good decision to send him back down if Lavy wasn't going to commit to playing him 12-15 minutes a night. The kid needs to play. Should have been able to figure this out a week ago though. There is no way he went from good for 12-15 minutes to 'press box' because of a few practices.

I'm ready to just quit on this team, and follow a team like the Red Wings until the Flyers get their collective head of their ass and join us in the 21st century.

Go for it, fake fans are annoying anyway.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

So you are Detroit sent Nyquist to the minors and scratched Tatar to make room for old, broken down veterans like Dan Cleary. Detroit is the least likely team in the league to let the kids play.

Please do quit and move to the Redwings board. You will find that there are disgruntled fans on every team's forum.

Last edited:

Calderone

old time hockey
Oct 18, 2008
Philly Metro Area
I have been a Flyers fan since 1985. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember a potential worse 4th line than Newbury-Hall-Rosehill (with a forward out). Can anyone remember a worse one?

Daniels/Lacroix/Kordic was awful. Fun, but AWFUL.

I also really really hated the line of Ranheim/Manderville/Anyone.. and Anyone was the best player on that line by far.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
So you are completely unaware that Detroit sent Nyquist to the minors and scratched Tatar to make room for old, broken down veterans like Dan Cleary. Detroit is the least likely team in the league to let the kids play.

Please do quit and move to the Redwings board. You will find that there are disgruntled fans on every team's forum.

Your exactly right. The wings let their players develop before they make the jump to the NHL. Not only that, they have a core of players who have been together for years and only open up a few spots per season. This gives the prospects plenty of time to develop while letting the core of your team stay together

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A lot of Detroit fans think they have taken that too far and are hanging on to players well past their prime rather than letting talented youngsters like Nyquist and Tatar play. They aren't even that young - Nyquist's already 24 and Tatar is 22.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
So you are Detroit sent Nyquist to the minors and scratched Tatar to make room for old, broken down veterans like Dan Cleary. Detroit is the least likely team in the league to let the kids play.

I didn't say I'd quit this board. Just if I'm going to spend time watching hockey, I'd rather watch a team that has a plan on how to score goals and doesn't waste roster spots on plugs like Rosehill and Newbury. The Flyers are probably top 5 in terms of raw offensive talent, but they look like a pee wee team trying to score 5 on 5. Doesn't that piss you off?

I don't mind Laughton being sent down at all --- that's fine. It's where he should be unless he's ready for 2nd/3rd line minutes, which he's probably not. I care that 3 out of 50 contracts for this organization are used on Rinaldo, Rosehill, and Newbury. It's just dumb, and it is not conducive to winning championships.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago just won a Cup with Carcillo who is an inferior version of Rinaldo.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well I can't see Newbury lasting here for very long.

Let's be honest, if the Flyers hadn't been limited by Pronger's contract they would have gone out and (over)paid for a third line winger this offseason. Someone like Stalberg. They would still be spotting Rosehill, but the 4th line would have been Hall, Rinaldo and Talbot.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
But why have Newbury under contract at all? Better to use that contract on some undrafted college prospect that might pan out, IMO.

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013

newbury can play center but i think he is the #13forward rosehill is the #12
if the flyers play a 4line with rinaldo-newbury-rosehill is a good 4line

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
But why have Newbury under contract at all? Better to use that contract on some undrafted college prospect that might pan out, IMO.

Newbury is good for ADK. It's importamt for prospects like Cousins to play in the AHL for a winning or at least competative team. Guys like Newbury and other AHL All-Stars like a Syvret help in that sense. With Laughton sliding the Flyers have 48 contracts, it's not like Newbury is preventing any moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad