Recalled/Assigned: Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Beyond ****ing stupid. No ****ing point to this. Newbury and Rosehill are worthless. Bring up ****ing Akeson or Raffl, not a ******* of a goon.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
There has to be a trade coming, right? I just can't imagine they're comfortable rolling with this personnel in the bottom six outside of Couturier and Schenn/Read.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Beyond ****ing stupid. No ****ing point to this. Newbury and Rosehill are worthless. Bring up ****ing Akeson or Raffl, not a ******* of a goon.

I'd like to see them bring up Ben Holmstrom. He could be used on the pk and bottom six. He'd be better than Newbury. Akeson isn't cut out for bottom six duties either.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Wow, this is pretty surprising (both in the fact that they sent back Laughton and that they called up Newbury).

If they had planned to send Laughton back to Juniors...why didn't they sign a third liner (Gagne or otherwise)? Bonehead move right here.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I don't understand why we couldn't keep Laughton up for the 9 games. It would have done, by my estimation, 0 harm.

Cause I think Lavy has zero interest in playing him. I thought vs the smurf Habs he would for sure get the nod, instead they recall another no talent scrub :help: over a player with any talent.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Im thinking Homer feels Scott is ready for the NHL but figured there is no point in having him here if Lavi won't play him. Question is, shouldn't Homer be able to override Lavi and make him play him? GM>coach

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Wow, this is pretty surprising (both in the fact that they sent back Laughton and that they called up Newbury).

If they had planned to send Laughton back to Juniors...why didn't they sign a third liner (Gagne or otherwise)? Bonehead move right here.

I don't think they planned it. I think they realized last night that this season is already lost and hopeless, so they don't want Laughton exposed to the stink.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don't understand why we couldn't keep Laughton up for the 9 games. It would have done, by my estimation, 0 harm.

yep I dont get it and by judging by the timing if Jake wasnt a question mark last night that Laughton would have been sent back before today.
Look i understand if they feel Laughton isnt ready. IMO they probably knew they were going to do this for a couple of weeks anyway. Why didnt they bring in someone else?
Kris Newbury? really?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I know it is taboo to say, but I think Gagne isn't here because of Hexy input.

I agree. Gagne said he was more interested in hockey again playing with the Flyers and not in a lesser role as he did with the Kings. I think Hextall did not like his attitude.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I know it is taboo to say, but I think Gagne isn't here because of Hexy input.

it wouldnt shock me if this was true.
I mentioned a little while ago that I dont mind if they stayed away from Gagne(as much as I love the guy) and stuck with the youth.
But judging by how the roster has been assembled the last couple of weeks it makes the decision even more baffling. Jay Rosehill? Kris Newbury?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't think they planned it. I think they realized last night that this season is already lost and hopeless, so they don't want Laughton exposed to the stink.

Haha, you're not serious, right? A game that but for a hot goalie in net for Toronto would have been a win for this team is a sign that this season is already lost and hopeless? What if they win on Saturday...does that mean they are Cup contenders? It was one game. Come on.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Haha, you're not serious, right? A game that but for a hot goalie in net for Toronto would have been a win for this team is a sign that this season is already lost and hopeless? What if they win on Saturday...does that mean they are Cup contenders? It was one game. Come on.

One game of 49 now where the same **** is on display. The problems last night ran deeper than Bernier.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I would honestly rather see Gus play wing on the fourth line rather than Newbury.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
One game of 49 now where the same **** is on display. The problems last night ran deeper than Bernier.

Really?

The Flyers controlled the play 5-on-5, they forced the Leafs into giving the Flyers 7 powerplays, the defense actually looked competent as a group, they actually looked like they knew how to exit their own zone (for the first time in years), there was only one shift I can recall that the Leafs had theFlyers pinned in their own zone for more than 15 seconds... there were a lot of positives around the 'team' game last night and very few negatives.

The only team problem I saw last night was a lack of finish. There were individuals who looked poor, but that was as strong a team game as you'll see from the Flyers this year. Bury chances, win the game; fail to capitalize on chances, easy loss.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm totally okay with Laughton spending more time in juniors.

That said, I wish one of our potential top 9 forwards, mostly McGinn, could separate himself from the heard and earn an NHL top 9 role. That way Talbot could go back to the 4th line. Then we could finally end this charade.

McGinn's fight last year was very costly to him and the team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hmmm from what I heard it doesn't sound like he has anything more to prove in juniors. So what if he only gets fourth line minutes, give the kid NHL experience. He brought some good energy last year I thought.

This is what I don't get....why do people think this????

Laughton was the #2 C on Oshawa last year with Boone Jenner being #1. We label Laughton a 3rd line C who "has nothing to prove in Jr." Maybe, just maybe he develops more offensive upside in Jr and then REALLY earns a spot on the Flyers.

Jenner was a 2nd rd pick...Laughton a 1st
Jenner had a 1.14 PPG in his 3rd year...Laughton had 1.14 in his 3rd year
Jenner was sent back for a 4th year...Laughton has now been sent back
Jenner EARNED the #1C job at training camp this year...Laughton next year....???

Maybe, just maybe, we should allow the kids to grow more physically and offensively by sending them back for an extra year. You never know, you might actually get a better hockey player because of it. Not many players development has been hurt by going back to Jr.

And guess what, if all he is going to be is a 3rd liner then what is the rush? There are many 3rd liners available every year. We need to make these kids EARN their roster spot, not just give it to them. Look at Boston, LA and Chicago as examples.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Really?

The Flyers controlled the play 5-on-5, they forced the Leafs into giving the Flyers 7 powerplays, the defense actually looked competent as a group, they actually looked like they knew how to exit their own zone (for the first time in years), there was only one shift I can recall that the Leafs had theFlyers pinned in their own zone for more than 15 seconds... there were a lot of positives around the 'team' game last night and very few negatives.

The only team problem I saw last night was a lack of finish. There were individuals who looked poor, but that was as strong a team game as you'll see from the Flyers this year. Bury chances, win the game; fail to capitalize on chances, easy loss.

They controlled play in the first period. Then as the game went on the Leafs shut the Flyers down more and more, and the Flyers had no answers. Looked like more of the same to me.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Disagree. Maybe your Leighton diagram would be of use here? Bernier being the biggest part, the rest being the smaller part? Other than the poor Power Play showing, there really wasn't much going on last night besides Bernier's performance that stuck out as a reason that the Flyers lost. And surely a poor power isn't the same **** that was on display last year since the power play was pretty damned good last year. The rest of the game wasn't perfection by any means for the Flyers, but it certainly didn't look to me like there was some glaring issue that the Flyers will not be able to overcome. If Bernier didn't stand on his head most of the game, I predict the outcome would have been different. Kind of like how if Leighton wouldn't have played so poorly in the SCF, the Flyers would have won, right? Or does it not work that way if I am saying it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad