Confirmed Trade: [NYR/WPG] Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 2019 1st (20 OV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Agent made sure teams knew he wouldn’t sign barring the Rangers or 1-2 other teams according to Dreger. So no GM is go would make offers greater then what Chevy got.

Is this confirmed anywhere?

How often does that happen?

I can't remember the last time I've heard of an agent tanking their clients value.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So what's the percentage probability trouba signs lonterm with rags? 50% ?

Have to be higher than that. Rangers wouldn't give up the 1st round pick in the middle of a rebuild.

Plus it seemed like the worst kept secret in hockey that Trouba had a very narrow list, like very very very narrow with the Rangers being one of a less than handful of teams Trouba was willing to extend with, which is why this was the best offer for Winnipeg. It wasn't worthwhile for any other team to waste assets on a player that wasn't interested in a long term extension.

And the comments about his fiance and her career make it seem pretty clear NYC is where she wants to be.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Apparently, Trouba wanted to make sure his fiancee had a chance to start up her medical career in the US and so that's why he didn't want to remain in Winnipeg.

Reactions: The Big M

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Am I missing something? He's a RFA withtout any NTC, NMC. If I'm Chevy, I don't give a crap where this guy wants to play, he'll go where I trade him.

Exactly!!!

That's how you burn bridge's...Guy leaves it on the ice for you night in and night out for six years and you treat him like that? Players will consider that kind of decision making when looking at teams to sign with.. I think the Winnipeg organization took a hit for doing the right thing for the player in this case, and for that I commend them...

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Haha if you have been paying attention to social media youd know the majority of fans do not feel that way at all. The rest are probably just trying to find a silver lining for the sake of their sanity.
It’s common, I hate your garbage until it’s my garbage

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
wouldn't limiting himself to 2-3 teams really screw his ability to squeeze money out of his next contract? why would he or his agent publicize that?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
That's how you burn bridge's...Guy leaves it on the ice for you night in and night out for six years and you treat him like that? Players will consider that kind of decision making when looking at teams to sign with.. I think the Winnipeg organization took a hit for doing the right thing for the player in this case, and for that I commend them...

Am I happy with the return? not really... but the reality is he wanted out a few seasons back but he stuck it out with us and left it all on the ice.

I think this is a very valid and rational point. well said.

Reactions: belford222

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I can't remember the last time I've heard of an agent tanking their clients value.

agents arent there to protect a teams return... they are there to get their players what the players wanted. most players though are loyal to their team. most players would never play such crap on their original team because of loyalty. players normally feel a brotherhood to the guys they played with and know even after they leave those brothers are still there

so even if a player hates ownership/management he still wouldnt normally tank his own value in this manner.

cant blame the agent here... agents are bloodsuckers that serve at the players discretion. this is all on trouba and his selfish wish to put his own desire to be in ny ahead of the welfare of his brothers who served in the trenches with him

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
wouldn't limiting himself to 2-3 teams really screw his ability to squeeze money out of his next contract? why would he or his agent publicize that?

he might cost himself a million... two... who knows... but then who cares?

you might be told you can make an extra 10k a year if you move your family to the next state... taking your kids out of school away from friends... your wife has to quit her own job... maybe you are living in a crime free beautiful city now and moving to the slums... or to a cold place... away from a lake... from a happening city to a no where place... whatever

at a certain point we all have 'enough' money and when we do we can make a choice where to live based on other factors.

trouba obviously made his choice based on other factors

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Amazing how fast some are to eat their own. The guy played his ass off for six years, somewhere he didn't even want to be. Out of respect, the organization sent him where he wanted to go. Some of the post's here are ridiculous. Sure it's a business, but to run a successful one, a key rule is to not burn all of your bridge's out of spite. It's okay to take a loss here and there, you'll bounce back. Classy move by the Winnipeg organization, pretty sure they knew what kind of reaction they were in for, yet still done right by the player. Kudos, from a Rangers fan to the Winnipeg organization
He never ever caused known team issues and he played hard.
His agent played hardball but as a player you want that.
Non Jets fans have said for years Trouba was overrated, I think now most people in the east will see how good he is.
Playing in the west and Winnipeg in particular means a lot of fans don’t really see a lot of him.
Your post is spot on

Reactions: belford222

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Dreger said it today, plus a independent Pens writer said the same thing so two sources says the same thing

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
So a few months of Hayes + Pionk for Trouba...Don't like it for WPG unless Pionk has some untapped upside.
Watch a few Ranger games from last season and you won’t be wondering about untapped potential. He is the type of player that most teams will swap for a 4th or 5th round pick if they can get it. Poor kid has to play in Wpg now and he will forever be the slug they traded Trouba for.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
he might cost himself a million... two... who knows... but then who cares?

you might be told you can make an extra 10k a year if you move your family to the next state... taking your kids out of school away from friends... your wife has to quit her own job... maybe you are living in a crime free beautiful city now and moving to the slums... or to a cold place... away from a lake... from a happening city to a no where place... whatever

at a certain point we all have 'enough' money and when we do we can make a choice where to live based on other factors.

trouba obviously made his choice based on other factors

yeah i don't mind where he ended up or fault him for weighing other considerations more than $$ but New York has a huge cost of living attached to it on top of the whole "willing to play for less" cap consideration. You'd think--even if it was widely speculated--that you wouldn't be telling everyone you only had three teams you'd consider. Guess we'll see though. i mean according to basic cost of living calculators you'd have to get paid $12m/yr for the same standard of living as you would for $7.5 in chicago. So...i mean it just seems like you could put down roots in any decent sized city in the US if your wife/fiance's medical career is top priority. i get that there are places you'd rather live and work in and at some point what's a million or two per year but just consider banking that for when you're retired before 40 and have to maintain your lifestyle.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
yeah i don't mind where he ended up or fault him for weighing other considerations more than $$ but New York has a huge cost of living attached to it on top of the whole "willing to play for less" cap consideration. You'd think--even if it was widely speculated--that you wouldn't be telling everyone you only had three teams you'd consider. Guess we'll see though. i mean according to basic cost of living calculators you'd have to get paid $12m/yr for the same standard of living as you would for $7.5 in chicago. So...i mean it just seems like you could put down roots in any decent sized city in the US if your wife/fiance's medical career is top priority. i get that there are places you'd rather live and work in and at some point what's a million or two per year but just consider banking that for when you're retired before 40 and have to maintain your lifestyle.

I have well less than a 300 dollars a month discretionary income. for me, the cost of a pizza is a huge deal. if one restraunt charges 15 dollars and one charges 13 dollars... I cant worry a lot about which one tastes better

my dad does better financially. I can promise you he doesnt care about a 2 dollar price difference on a pizza. he wanted to buy me a pizza last night and I said if we order online we can get a couple that might save us 10 dollars or so {we were buying a lot of pizza} and he got annoyed at me. he wasnt going to use any damn internet coupon

trouba will end up making north of 7 mill a year and likely on a 7 year deal. he will also have access to the advertising dollars available in NY. he will probably get a chance to join a few charities and stuff...

trust me at the end of the day hes not going to be too concerned what the price of a pizza is. he will be fine. living in his dream city... living the large life... and he will be able to eat pizza at any restraunt he chooses

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Serious question for Rangers fans- Where the Rangers going to get another top 6 center from? I know they needed D, but what assets are going to get them another good pivot?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Serious question for Rangers fans- Where the Rangers going to get another top 6 center from? I know they needed D, but what assets are going to get them another good pivot?

Right now...unknown, and it's a hole in their lineup for sure. Perhaps Chytil can grow into that role starting this year, perhaps not. (edit: I think Chytil might have that 2nd line potential and all but whether it's at center or wing is a question...maybe he and Howden have to fill in as a so so 2nd line center until they figure it out, maybe one of them ends up developing more than we expect). Maybe they trade someone like Kreider for another pick this year and manage to pick a guy they like and who can become a top center, but that is less likely I think after trading the 20 for Trouba. Maybe it happens in next years draft, or maybe they keep their eyes open and make a trade further down the line and move a few other players that get pushed out by competition.

Tough to say. Center and a top RD were their biggest weaknesses and they addressed the D part...the center might be tougher.

Or, you know, NJ takes Kakko #1 overall and the Rangers take Hughes ;)

Reactions: Trxjw

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Alright i don't know what your situation is or Trouba's attitude is but when he's 60 it's more like "aw damn i can't fly to italy on my private jet anymore to pick up a slice and a decent gelato" or go halfsies on an island compound in the maldives or whatever.
you get used to certain things, and even with a Doc salary that extra hypothetical few million per year over 7 years allows a significant lifestyle extension.
For all i know he could be one of those "driving the same truck for 8 years" guys though. Just seems odd to limit yourself out of the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad