Confirmed Trade: [NYR/WPG] Jacob Trouba for Neal Pionk and 2019 1st (20 OV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Cost (both salary and what it would take to acquire). Not a clear enough upgrade over the centre they already have in Little. I personally dont like kadris dirty game. Jets still have Perreault on the team playing playing that role taking dumb penalties late in a period... and yet i like Perreault. 1 is enough though. Honestly i would prefer a younger player with a decent ceiling to develop within the organization. (i am still hoping Roslovic is that person, but who knows)If the Jets were to trade for a 2c i would want them to be a team player, play hard (not take lazy penalties) and preferably be a great passer. Those a some of the many many reasons not to want Kadri.
Also i think the Jets getting a player like Pionk is beneficial. He can continue his development playing bottom 4. playing minutes he can handle and grow from there. He also sheds several million in cap to free up cap space for other players i prefer to Trouba, which includes Laine, Connor, Copp and hopefully Tanev (if the cost is right). Pionk, i think, is going to be a good fit. Getting the 1st back is nice to have. Jets fans always knew going into this trade that Trouba was going to be the most valuable piece in any trade involving him. Glad we got back pieces that fit our needs, which includes a dman to replace and a pick for the future.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Jealousy lol... I've been to new York at I'm no fan of that state or city. It's nothing more than a overrated, over taxed , over crowded dump.
Btw Chicago's Pizza is hands down the best , you can keep your greasy nasty pizza

Can't think of any other reason you'd be so passionatly shitting on the team and city after they acquired another desireable asset. That or you're just a bad troll.

Chicago "pizza" is a casserole.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pionk + 20th OA = Frost, 11th OA, and Myers? :laugh:

How can you post this, its clearly not real. If that was on the table it would have happened.

Man itll be funny if the rangers swap him out at the deadline to a contender for a better package . They should have put conditional picks on the trade at least.

Retain 50 % get a pick and a decent prospect and maybe send him to Florida if they are doing good (if they have bob / panarin they should be on the bubble at least ) .

Why would they get a better package than what Duchene and Stone returned? People in this thread just like to rip on teams rather than look at comparbles and facts apparently. Look what Karlsson went for in the offseason last year.

Last edited:

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Sorry but I'll take a 25/26 year old Trouba and his 50+ points per year, superior defence, size and his relative good health added to the fact that a long term deal will cost between 8.5-9 per (most speculating) then Karlsson personally at his age, injury history and cost.
Yes but at the time Karlsson was traded he was still seen as the player he used to be, of course we now know it wasn't so but still, at the time Karlsson was valued much more back then than Trouba is now or, ever really.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes but at the time Karlsson was traded he was still seen as the player he used to be, of course we now know it wasn't so but still, at the time Karlsson was valued much more back then than Trouba is now or, ever really.

As he should be he is still a way better player despite what haters want to say around here. The real professionals that do this for a living think so, why would a random person that probably never even played hockey's opinion be more valuable.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Saw a Pic of Brady and Jacob on FB looked like good friends.....there is the deep throat.......signing imminent.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’ve seen worse deadline rentals return more than Trouba who has a whole season left before he can become unrestricted. This trade looks more and more awful every time I look at it. Especially after a far lesser Dman in Braun got a 2nd and a 3rd - not quite a 1st and Pionk but certainly far better value for what Braun is.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I’m assuming Trouba is hellbent on free agency and he will refuse to sign long term with the Rangers. If not, this is an embarrassing return for Chevy. If Trouba walks, then the return is a little less than market value.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Obviously this was the best return Chevy could get. Trouba has zero interest continuing playing in Winnipeg so a deal was made.

No other team was willing to pay more than that for Trouba even though alot of people seem to think their teams would have. Id imagine teams know he would demand HUGE money and didnt want to get into long drawn out contract negotiations and most likely overpay. Trouba and his camp have shown to be brutal during negotiations and it is very well known.

Jets are better off without the yearly headaches with him in every offseason ...now they can use that money he would be getting to pay their star forwards that need contracts.

Now having said that, i woulda assumed Jets coulda still gotten a bit better of a return(a good prospect added atleast) but as i said, this was the best offer a team was willing to give

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I posted a version of this in another thread, but think it's more applicable here. I think there were likely only 3 realistic teams Trouba could go to, assuming WPG wanted a 1st rounder. Here's the first round picks:
1NJD Not Available - nobody is trading top 10 pick for 1 year of Trouba
2NYR Not Available
3CHI Not Available
4COL Not Available
5LAK Not Available
6DET Not Available
7BUF Not Avialable
8EDM Not Available
Canadian Team
9ANA Not Available
10VAN Not Available
Canadian Team
11PHI Not available for rental (per Fletcher)
12MIN No need for a Defenseman
13FLA Possible
14AZ Not a good destination for Trouba and Fiance, unlikely to re-sign
15MTLCanadian Team
16COL Within Division. Fairly set at D
17VGN Can't fit under cap
18DAL Within Division.
19OTT Canadian Team
20NYR* Possible
21PIT Can't fit under cap
22LAKPossible, but not in position to take on rental
23NYI Possible
24NSH Cap issue, no need for defenseman
25WSH Can't fit under Cap
26CGY Canadian team
27TBL Can't fit under cap
28CAR No need for RHD
29ANA No need for D, not in position for Rental, cap concerns
30BOS Pick too low, No need for RHD
31BUF Pick too low, not optimal location for Trouba, not likely to re-sign
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So I see 3 or at most 4 destinations of teams that were:
a) Willing to give up a 1st round pick this year
b) needed a RHD
c) had enough cap space to fit Trouba (with extension) in
d) was a location / team where Trouba may consider an extension to make a trade worthwhile.

The market, IMO, was very much limited by the factors at play here.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The market, IMO, was very much limited by the factors at play here.

The available pool was 30 teams. Plenty of teams had better assets (picks, prospects) to give up for a pure rental in Trouba. Hell if the Oilers were in a bit better spot and on the cusp of contending I would have been fine with 8th overall for 1 years of Trouba (plus a smaller add)

I wouldnt be surprised to start seeing rumors about alot of better offers that were made

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I would have been fine with 8th overall for 1 years of Trouba (plus a smaller add)

8k0tVlP.png

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I’m assuming Trouba is hellbent on free agency and he will refuse to sign long term with the Rangers. If not, this is an embarrassing return for Chevy. If Trouba walks, then the return is a little less than market value.

Idk, his recent comments saying something along the lines of "I hope i'm in NY for a long time." indicate to me he's probably going to sign a long term deal.

Reactions: Devonator

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The available pool was 30 teams. Plenty of teams had better assets (picks, prospects) to give up for a pure rental in Trouba. Hell if the Oilers were in a bit better spot and on the cusp of contending I would have been fine with 8th overall for 1 years of Trouba (plus a smaller add)

I wouldnt be surprised to start seeing rumors about alot of better offers that were made

That would have been brutal trade for Edmonton. Oilers aren't cup contenders, even with Trouba. Why give that up for one year of Trouba in which you aren't even competing for the cup?

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
I'm fine with what the jets got back for an rfa that had no interest in staying with the jets pionk is no slouch as well he can develop nicely watching and learning from Josh and Dustin. We get our 1st back I'm fairly confident in chevys drafting it only stings due to some lofty expectations for an unsigned player. Not sure about others but I do like the return :thumbu: give the kid a chance and please stop bashing the city of winnipeg stay classy y'all

Reactions: King Woodballs

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Disagree. There are many teams that would not have made legit offers for Trouba. Carolina, with 4 RHD certainly wouldn't. Vegas, with Cap issues, certainly wouldn't. Teams with top 10 picks are mostly not contenders certainly wouldn't. The list goes on. I agree that I wouldn't be surprised to see some teams saying there were better offers, but I think you are mistaken if you think the legit pool was 30 teams.

RE: your comment about the Oilers. The thing is you aren't on the cups of contending, so saying you would have given up the 8th OA for 1 year of Trouba is meaningless. If you were on the cusp of contending, you wouldn't have the 8th OA pick. Contending teams don't usually have top 10 picks, which is why those picks aren't traded for guys with 1 year left. Only 2 times since 2012 has a top 8 pick been traded for a player.

#7OA and ADA for Stepan and Raanta - both of whom had term
#8OA for J. Staal, who everyone knew was signing long term to play with his brother.

I don't know how far back we'd have to go to find a top 10 pick traded for a guy with 1 year left at or before the draft.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
I’ve seen worse deadline rentals return more than Trouba who has a whole season left. This trade looks more and more awful every time I look at it. Especially after a far lesser Dman in Braun got a 2nd and a 3rd - not quite a 1st and Pionk but certainly far better value for what Braun is.

Trouba is currently a RFA

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

This, actually with the exception of SJS and a few other every team north or south of the border would want him. Would every team take a 1 year of Trouba to give up assets???? Well the Raptors did it and look what it got them! I know the chance of that happening to any team is so astronomical but just saying. Sometimes thinking outside of the box works.

Reality is right now we don’t know if he is willing to sign a multi year contract or if he wants to go to UFA. I get that he has stated his desire is to ensure his wife’s career is put front and centre too and that’s commendable but again there are lots of cities north and south of the border where that can happen. I just can’t believe that he had that much power over the team regarding his destination.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I thought I had read that because the Jets didn't allow Trouba or his agent to talk to any teams, most of the teams that were interested dropped out and they just took the best offer that was left. If you let them talk to teams and talk extensions, I think you get a much better return. If it's true (and I can't find where I originally read it) that's a missed opportunity by the Jets.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think the Jets should have got more back for Trouba than this, not the best trade for Chevy.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How about that news from Pittsburgh that Trouba and his agent forced Chevy to trade Trouba to only NYR. Pens had a better offer but as usual, trouba and his agent made a stink

Inside Pittsburgh Sports

Sorry if its already been posted.

Him and his agent have been nightmares for so long. Atleast NYR acquired a guy that would only sign with Rangers. Good on them

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How about that news from Pittsburgh that Trouba and his agent forced Chevy to trade Trouba to only NYR. Pens had a better offer but as usual, trouba and his agent made a stink

Inside Pittsburgh Sports

Sorry if its already been posted.

Him and his agent have been nightmares for so long. Atleast NYR acquired a guy that would only sign with Rangers. Good on them

21 overall, +. Doesn't even say what the + is but says it's significantly trumps NYR's offer. Until we know the +, it's just another story thrown out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad